Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #1

GM extended warranty

My 2022 GMC 3500 truck is not in yet, but looking ahead, do I need an extended warranty? In the 40 plus years that I have been buying new cars, I have never purchased one.

The only thing that I am concerned about is all of the electronic gadgets. There are too many to count in this Denali. The basic 3/36 warranty may not be enough. What say you?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Absolutely! Get it.

I've never been a fan of extended warranties either but these new vehicles are going to be a nightmare to fix and finding qualified people to work on them is going to be very difficult.

I just worked on my neighbors 2020 Chevrolet Silverado yesterday.

When he turned off the ignition all lights, headlights..tail lights....interior lights and radio stayed on. Couldn't restart it...it would kinda start but run extremely rough and then die.

He's had it to the dealer twice for this problem and they were no help. Google search said a lot of people were having the same problem.

I disconnected his battery and it solved the problem. I gave him a 10mm wrench to keep in the truck for the next time it happens

Another friend with a 2022 Chevy ecodiesel has been in the shop twice with DEF problems.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
My 2022 GMC 3500 truck is not in yet, but looking ahead, do I need an extended warranty? In the 40 plus years that I have been buying new cars, I have never purchased one.

The only thing that I am concerned about is all of the electronic gadgets. There are too many to count in this Denali. The basic 3/36 warranty may not be enough. What say you?
How long do you plan on keeping it? I typically don't keep them long enough to even consider extended warranties.

And even if I did keep my vehicles a long time, I probably still wouldn't get the extended warranty. I'd just assume "self-warranty" my vehicle, so to speak. Funds are available if something big breaks out of warranty. Part of the RV lifestyle in my book I suppose.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:18 PM   #4

Make sure it is an actual GM extended warranty and not a "dealer sevice contract/warranty".

Problem with the "dealer sevice contract/warranty" is other dealers/service centers may not support it and tell you to pay for the repair and it will be up to you try and get your original dealer (or actually the service contract company) to reimburse you.

"Dealer sevice contract/warranties" do not obligate other dealers to support it, they are not a "party on the contract"

An actual GM extended warranty however will be supported at all GM/Chevy service centers/dealers.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post

Extended warranties are never recommended in my book. I don't get them for electronics, furniture, nothing. Just think about it, they get smart people to figure out how to make a lot of profit. They will never pay out more than people pay in (overall).

You might be that 1 in 100 people that get more back in paid repairs vs what you paid for the extended warranty, but it's rare, and there are always a lot of exclusions and requirements.

Not sure what the base warranty is today and which powertrain you're poordering, but my 2011 had a 5 year/ 160 000km (5 yr/100 000mile) warranty on the powertrain then. Extended warranties rarely cover much in the way of electronics. I'd be very leery of anything like that.

Take the 2,3 or 4k it'll cost you, invest it and don't spend it. Use that for unexpected repairs.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:49 PM   #6

What KDAuto said.

I bought a new Honda Ridgeline when I was younger. The salesman said how well built it was and how reliable. After I bought it he flipped and said now I need the warranty. I did not buy it. I had 6 years of trouble free use before I traded it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:41 AM   #7

I never get extended warranties, but with the new LTZ I got talked into it with the logic that there are so many electronics that the price of one repair could pay for the warranty. Well, I could have just put the price of the warranty in the bank, drew interest and had my own extended warranty. If it broke I got the money to fix it, if it don't, I am money ahead. Hind sight is 20/20 I guess. If I had it to do over, I would not have gotten the warranty.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:58 AM   #8

I bought one with my 2018 GMC mostly due to the hard sell from the finance guy. I kinda bought into the argument that the electronics were complicated and expensive but said no to the $4500 price tag. No to $3300, no to $2500, no to $1800. I held firm until he got to $1000 when I capitulated. So far it's been a grand I wasted. Truck has only been back to the dealer for a recall for the block heater which I never use. Zero problems so far. Extended warranty goes for another 5 years and has $200 deductible.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:11 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Probably.....especially if this is a diesel engine. Good advice above. Checkbook Magazine has a list of dealers for various manufacturers...that will sell you a FACTORY warranty for $1 to $500 over their cost...

GM is Ourisman's Rockmont Chevrolet in Rockville MD. 301-424-5900. Talk to Finance. P.S. This is 2015 information, things might have changed, so ask if necessary who is doing this.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forgot to say they sell for $100 over their cost.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:55 PM   #11

well, I got one on my 2019 Yukon and its already almost paid for itself on the 2 leaking magnetic ride shocks that had to be replaced and weren't part of the "drive train". Maybe the more heavy duty trucks don't have as many breakdown prone parts.

Tags
extended warranty, warranty