RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2020, 09:22 AM   #71

I'm not opposed to EV's in general, nor am I in any hurry to even try one. My biggest issue with EV "fanatics" and I don't consider you one of those radar, is the supposed clean nature of EVs, without looking at the big picture. Too many people have been brain washed into thinking that just because their car burns electrons instead of gas or diesel that they are saving the planet. BBC had a good article on some of the battery tech.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2020, 09:41 AM   #72

WOW How much weight in batteries will you be adding to the truck, before adding a heavy trailer or 5th wheel, that 400 miles between charges will drop to to maybe 200 miles depending on weight and road conditions, What happens when I want to get across the country say from California to Montana quickly, but have to recharge every few hundred miles, I quess we could mount a kubota diesel generator in the truck bed and add a diesel fuel tank so we could keep driving, But what's the point then.......

Muledeer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I'm not opposed to EV's in general, nor am I in any hurry to even try one. My biggest issue with EV "fanatics" and I don't consider you one of those radar, is the supposed clean nature of EVs, without looking at the big picture. Too many people have been brain washed into thinking that just because their car burns electrons instead of gas or diesel that they are saving the planet. BBC had a good article on some of the battery tech.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
Totally agree. EVers are aware that the production of EVís is not emmision free nor is the power that charges them even when it comes from renewable sources. However, the EV itself is, and that is a huge advantage when there is a high concentration of vehicles in cities etc. If Covid taught us anything itís that when you park millions of cars the air gets cleaner...FAST.

Most people buy EVís because of performance and convenience. For those that consistently travel long distances it may not be convenient because of charging issues and then they can stick with gassers or diesel as long as they are available. But for those of us who donít have those issues there is no reason to stick with the older technology. We are probably typical of an EV driver. We do mostly commuting, and most of our road trips are only 400 to 700 ish kilometers. So for us there is zero compromise and all of the advantages. It literally makes no sense to buy a gas or diesel vehicle and put up with all the disadvantages and higher expense of the older technology. Gas vehicles do some things very well like long drives at minus 30 degrees. Thankfully we donít have those needs so for us weíll stick with EV technology.

The wife has a deposit on a Cybertruck. We are not sure if we are going to switch away from the Motorhome scene yet as we are still enjoying our pusher. But a change is coming for us as we will probably start to snowbird in Europe instead of the USA. When if/when that happens weíll want a little 18-22 foot trailer again. The Cybertruck would be a good match up for that. Time will tell.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muledeer2 View Post
WOW How much weight in batteries will you be adding to the truck, before adding a heavy trailer or 5th wheel, that 400 miles between charges will drop to to maybe 200 miles depending on weight and road conditions, What happens when I want to get across the country say from California to Montana quickly, but have to recharge every few hundred miles, I quess we could mount a kubota diesel generator in the truck bed and add a diesel fuel tank so we could keep driving, But what's the point then.......
Well, that wonít work because present BEVís can charge and drive st the same time. As well, Iím not aware of anything other than half ton EV trucks being developed so I would think a fifth wheel is out of there.

A cybertruck triple motor has an expected EPA range of 500 miles. So even at half of that itís towing range is longer than our old GMC 2500 and we did fine. Depends on the individuals needs.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:38 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txglamper View Post
Thats the big draw back with the cyber truck as well. It says it can tow 11k but whats the milage when towing that. Plus you cant put a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch in the cyber truck.

And another note on the EV hummer from GMC, it will come in a Truck variant as well.
It's a half-ton. No half-ton is rated for a gooseneck or fifth wheel of any size or weight.
Apples to apples.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:51 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Thatís exactly what I said. Rent another site. Campgrounds usually have unrented sites. This will add to the revenue stream of the campground.
Sorry, I got your $10 comment wrong.
But if you need an overnight charge, I don't think it is fair to other RVers looking for a place to stay, for you to be taking up a campsite.
I don't know what the solution is as parking spots for chargers costs $$$ and, as a non-EV camper, I don't want my overnight rate to go up to pay that.

It will eventually all work out.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:02 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
But if you need an overnight charge, I don't think it is fair to other RVers looking for a place to stay, for you to be taking up a campsite.
I don't know what the solution is as parking spots for chargers costs $$$ and, as a non-EV camper, I don't want my overnight rate to go up to pay that.

I agree. The market will sort it out. When it happens enough (years down the road), operators will either add extra sites to compensate or simply add additional power capacity to sites that will allow for EV charging...of course at an additional cost to the client.

To be clear Gary, the campground operator doesn’t need to add charging equipment. All that is required is a 14-50 connecter (optimal) or a TT 30 receptacle. EV’s come with an EVSE that plug into a variety of receptacles (with adapters). The rest is done in the car (or truck). And having said that we have noticed some campgrounds adding commercial charge stations, which, in my opinion, is an unnecessary expense as the car comes with everything it needs to charge. If this is unclear to anyone I am happy to explain this further upon request. There are lots of terms in the EV world that may be unclear to some.

Cheers.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post

I agree. The market will sort it out. When it happens enough (years down the road, operators will either add extra sites to compensate or simply add additional power capacity to sites that will allow for EV charging...of course at an additional cost to the client.

To be clear Gary, the campground operator doesn’t need to add charging equipment. All that is required is a 14-50 connecter (optimal) or a TT 30 receptacle. EV’s come with an EVSE that plugs into a variety of receptacles (with adapters). The rest is done in the car (or truck). And having said that we have noticed some campgrounds adding commercial charge stations, which, in my opinion, is an unnecessary expense as the car comes with everything it needs to charge. If this is unclear to anyone I am happy to explain this further upon request. There are lots of terms in the EV world that may be unclear to some.

Cheers.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:26 AM   #79

and the point of going electric is?? please think your answer all the way through before going woke.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeusa714 View Post
and the point of going electric is?? please think your answer all the way through before going woke.
For us specifically? Performance, convenience, features, styling, low maintenance. Cheaper to drive. Right fit for us. Everything we need a car to do an electric does better so it’s the natural choice.

I’m not sure what you are asking.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #81

What about using an EV as a toad? I have yet to see any EV's that would allow flat towing. Have I missed something? I can also see problems trying to operate the braking system in an EV from the typical brake light signal from the RV. You would think that some manufacturer would allow for flat towing as there are a lot of RV users that tow vehicles behind their coaches.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobway47 View Post
What about using an EV as a toad? I have yet to see any EV's that would allow flat towing. Have I missed something? I can also see problems trying to operate the braking system in an EV from the typical brake light signal from the RV. You would think that some manufacturer would allow for flat towing as there are a lot of RV users that tow vehicles behind their coaches.
Yepir. It’s a problem. So far none are towable four down. A bunch are dollyable (the front wheel drive models). None of the Tesla’s are towable four down or by dolly. Car carrier only. EV’s have normal juice brakes as well although they don’t get used a lot. Technically if you could get past the rest of the mechanical towing issues you could use a brake buddy. So far though no one has shown any interested in developing the software for towing an EV four down.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:48 PM   #83

I've been driving a Nissan Leaf since 2012. Like a lot of others have said, I think these issues will be worked out through supply and demand. For instance, the city installed an EV charger in a metered space near my office. For some time, it was rarely available for EV's since ICE cars would park there despite the fact that there was a standard size sign with lots of writing that said there was a $50 fine if you were't charging. Finally the city painted an EV Only sign on the parking place and that solved the problem. It's frequently used now for charging.

I mostly charge at home but I will choose to patronize businesses that offer me free charging. In NC we are required to pay an additional fee on our registration to ofsett the road use taxes we don't pay since we don't buy gas. Of course, they don't give me extra credit because I buy a lot of gas for our Silverado 2500.

Battery technology and vehicle energy management keeps improving and that's going to continue for the foreseeable future. The Leaf gets optimal efficiency at lower speeds and it drops off at freeway speeds. I'm sure this will be the case with a truck and you'll lose even more range when towing. But my 2017 Leaf gets better milage at 70 mph than our 2012 did and I bet in 2022 it will be better yet.

Would I buy a E-truck, you betcha!

CarmieJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric