Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Not the case, they can meet stopping requirements with drum brakes, so they just don't want to change to disk.

Disk brakes cost more.

https://www.truckinginfo.com/155132/...drums-vs-discs
Im sorry but when did you drive a class 8 last? Ive driven both and its definately the case.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #16

Time will tell if its actually a substantial option. I was plenty happy with the prodigy controller on my f350 and now the Ford factory controller in my f150
Old 01-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Im sorry but when did you drive a class 8 last? Ive driven both and its definately the case.
Didn't drive them, fixed them.

Brakes work off heat, disk run hotter and stop better.

Drum diameter adds stopping power, width adds longivity. Wheels limit drum diameter.

Discs run hotter but dissipate heat better.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Didn't drive them, fixed them.

Brakes work off heat, disk run hotter and stop better.

Drum diameter adds stopping power, width adds longivity. Wheels limit drum diameter.

Discs run hotter but dissipate heat better.
Driving and fixing isnt the same. Like i said, drums will stop just as well as discs just not as long.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:55 AM   #19

Jshopes81 - drum brakes stop as good as disc brakes??? I call bogus on that statement.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Jshopes81 - drum brakes stop as good as disc brakes??? I call bogus on that statement.
Me too. Discs are superior in stopping power, period.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #21

Quote:
I dont do bogus. Im speaking from experience with peterbilt, kenworth, freightliner.....in the same size vehicle with similar gvw and axle ratings you wouldnt notice the difference until you looked.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #22

Quote:
I dont do bogus. Im speaking from experience with peterbilt, kenworth, freightliner.....in the same size vehicle with similar gvw and axle ratings you wouldnt notice the difference until you looked.
i'm with you buddy,^^^ we're are talking two different things here. ONE is a quick or panic stop drums and discs are going to be really close to the same. the best for this would possibly be anti-lock discs. SECOND is long braking like going down a 6 or7% grade for 4-5 miles. this is were disc are going to work the best. but if you know what your doing it shouldn't be a problem there ether. you can down shift your tow rig to help with the braking. I have a 2010 GMC with the tow mode and can go down a 6% grade and never touch the brakes pulling 6500# and maintain 55 mph. I set my brake controller relatively tight and get a lot of braking from the trailer. I can't really see much difference in the truck braking with the trailer or with out as far as quick stops go.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:24 AM   #23

The original statement from jshopes87 was, I quote

" Most big trucks use drums because they perform BETTER over short distances. More surface area, but they fade faster. "

Now you say, and I quote,

" .....in the same size vehicle with similar gvw and axle ratings you wouldnt notice the difference until you looked. "

I see that technology and experience is swaying you.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #24

Quote:
The original statement from jshopes87 was, I quote

" Most big trucks use drums because they perform BETTER over short distances. More surface area, but they fade faster. "

Now you say, and I quote,

" .....in the same size vehicle with similar gvw and axle ratings you wouldnt notice the difference until you looked. "

I see that technology and experience is swaying you.
No, its not. The advantage that discs have is they dissipate heat better than drums and will experience less fade over a long brake application (which if you know how to drive you wont overheat your brakes). In a quick stop situation the drums will do better because they have more surface area. You dont have to worry about glazing them so much in a short stop.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #25

Quote:
You see, that's the kicker here. This thread is about GM working on an e-Boost system to stop trailers in shorter distances, not about semis and their brakes. You are talking about the wrong thing. That's what I tried to point out earlier. GM's e-Boost system has absolutely nothing to do with vehicles that are the same size as or have similar GVWs or axle ratings as those Peterbilts, Kenworths, and Freightliners.

It doesn't matter that semis use drums instead of disks so it isn't worth getting into that conversation. However, there are reasons as to why drums are a better choice in that specific application, and it's not because of stopping power. It's mainly because they fail in the locked position rather than open position and making a disk that does that is significantly more complicated. They are also significantly larger on a semi than they could ever be on a passenger vehicle, so they have way more mass and don't get heat soaked to the point of fade like passenger truck sized ones would. That size also means the outside of the drum is moving faster with respect to the shoes, which makes them more efficient than their smaller counterparts. The larger you make a drum brake the better it performs, but the smaller it is, the worse it performs. Then there's the width aspect. As you make a drum brake wider, it gets better in practically every way. Making a disk wider is practically useless, and almost makes it less effective until you get enough width to add a second disk brake. All of those traits put together result in a drum brake that's actually good enough to work and is cheaper than a comparable disk set up on those big trucks and trailer.

Disk brakes perform much better at the sizes used on passenger vehicles and light trucks used to tow trailers and RVs used by the vast majority of people on this forum, and the target demographic for GM's e-Boost system. Talking about semi and other large commercial vehicle's drum brakes to try and support drums being better is completely missing the point.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #26

Agree trying to compare apples and oranges with huge HDT's to LDT's.

I think most of the stopping gain will be adding disc brakes to the 5th wheel or travel trailer. I got to tow a 5th wheel with disc brakes once and noticed immediately. I did not know they were disc brakes but notice much better stopping. Unfortunately we had a blow out and took the flat tire off and saw discs and thought yep, that is why it stops better.

Got to give GM credit where credit is do.

I for one hope this catches on.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #27

Quote:

Got to give GM credit where credit is do.

I for one hope this catches on.
Anything a modern automotive OEM can do to kick the archaic old fashioned trailer industry into the movement should be celebrated.

While each brand has their problems, Automotive OEMs build millions of complex reliable vehicles that for the most part, do everything you could ask.

The trailer industry can hardly build a frame that doesn't crack over a trip on I10 through Louisiana - it really is embarrassing.

Tone rings for ABS and disk brakes on a axle REALLY shouldn't cost that much more then the current junk they turn out now - maybe another $200/axle? Who cares? It would be very exciting if they could standardize something with the industry and build some intelligence into these braking systems, and just communicate through the 7 pin.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer