RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #1

GM is working on e-Boost to stop trailers in shorter distances

Currently we RVer's all know when towing it will take you longer to stop. Even though the trailer has its own brakes to help stop, towing a trailer does not stop as quick as the truck alone.

GM is working on a system called e-Boost that goes on the trailer. They are able to now stop a trailer within 3' as quick as the truck alone.

e-Boost is a device that contains software that controls the trailer brakes like an anti lock system.

The hurdle - I think the trailer needs disc brakes and GM needs a trailer partner to install the device.

Rolen of TFL says it like this 'Time will tell'. It will add cost to any trailer but all in all this e-Boost system is a step in the right direction.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #2

eBoost System

steve52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #3

Thanks Steve - this concept is probably way in the future but I think it is good that engineers are working on it.

A few things going for it is: GM is a big gorilla so they have the $$$ to advertise. GM also has the ability to make Ford and Ram notice. If Ford and Ram offer that same kinda thing I think it will come to market soon than if just GM offers it.

$$$ spent on safety is better than $$$ spent on a fancy tailgate imho.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is to go along with their fancy tailgate.

Ken
Old 01-23-2020, 02:39 AM   #5

I read that article. What the heck does it do?
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:53 AM   #6

I think most of the stopping distance improvment might be from the disc brakes that as I read it are required. I towed one 5th wheel with disc brakes, I noticed it stopped much better than drum brakes.

Probably in a nut shell the eBoost software does a better job at applying braking boost. GM is trying to make trailer brakes as good as their truck brakes and to work the same with all the software that eBoost has. GM has eBoost on a few of their current vehicles (Corvette and Silverado).

There is part of me that thinks it will cost too much as they even mention better tires. (Hope not to get into another LT vs ST tire discussion...ugh).

One driving force for better braking is the 30,000lb plus towing capability. And this is advertised as a concept so it will have trouble getting to market but like I said earlier...If GM pushes it maybe it will make it into prodution.

You can see the video on YouTube channel TFLNow.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #7
laj

thanks anyway, iíll take mine plain. way to much electronic crap already to go wrong. i can control mine just fine.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #8

Stopping a heavy trailer full of items on a dime is not always a good thing. Can the hitch and truck frame handle that dynamic stopping force? If you are driving a motorcycle, car, or towing a trailer, they all require different driving skills to be safe. When towing, the operator needs to slow down, leave extra space ahead and constantly plan a escape maneuver. Faster stopping brakes may just increase the accident rate, (thinking rear end hits to the trailer).
I am amazed how the public expects the same performance whether driving a 20,000 lb towing rig vs a 4,000 lb car.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #9

I am all for disc brakes and systems that can stop a trailer better than they stop now.

I think part of the system is going to be an anti-lock feature.

In an emergency stop if I can stop 40' shorter how can you argue against shorter stopping distances?
Old 01-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #10

So to make braking better, you have to upgrade your brakes to disks, and have better tires? Well, that's your braking increase right there. Drums are common on trailers, but are terrible for braking performance. Coincidentally, it's that way for good reasons. Brakes set up for an empty trailer won't slow down a loaded trailer. Brakes set up for a loaded trailer will skid every time you touch them with an empty trailer. Drums reduce that effect because they simply aren't as responsive.

Going from drums to anti-locking disks is a huge upgrade, but will require better brake controllers. It really seems to me that the brake upgrade is where the performance is. I bet that new eboost controller on the same old drum brakes currently used will have a very small difference. Yes, it'll be better than the poor linear brake controllers used now, but not enough to cut stopping distances by 20%.

At this point, I'm pretty skeptical.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

In an emergency stop if I can stop 40' shorter how can you argue against shorter stopping distances?

That's a question to ask your wife when she enters the camper after your panic stop.
In all my trailer hauling miles including a "Hot Shot Hauler", I never had a panic stop that nearly hit somebody. I have rode the shoulder a few times vs doing a panic stop. Many truckers have million mile awards for being accident free. It's all about your skill "baby".
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
So to make braking better, you have to upgrade your brakes to disks, and have better tires? Well, that's your braking increase right there. Drums are common on trailers, but are terrible for braking performance. Coincidentally, it's that way for good reasons. Brakes set up for an empty trailer won't slow down a loaded trailer. Brakes set up for a loaded trailer will skid every time you touch them with an empty trailer. Drums reduce that effect because they simply aren't as responsive.

Going from drums to anti-locking disks is a huge upgrade, but will require better brake controllers. It really seems to me that the brake upgrade is where the performance is. I bet that new eboost controller on the same old drum brakes currently used will have a very small difference. Yes, it'll be better than the poor linear brake controllers used now, but not enough to cut stopping distances by 20%.

At this point, I'm pretty skeptical.
Most big trucks use drums because they perform better over short distances. More surface area, but they fade faster.
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Most big trucks use drums because they perform better over short distances. More surface area, but they fade faster.
Oh of course, but the drums you'll find on RVs and small trailers that people tow with 1500-3500 trucks aren't the same as those found on semi trailers; they aren't even close. It's like the 5th wheel conversation about how the kingpin is the same size as the class 8's so it's just as strong of a hitch, except that it isn't. Kingpin size is where the similarities end. The whole hitch is significantly more substantial on a class 8. Same thing with the drum brakes. They just don't compare in meaningful ways.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Not the case, they can meet stopping requirements with drum brakes, so they just don't want to change to disk.

Disk brakes cost more.

https://www.truckinginfo.com/155132/...drums-vs-discs

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer