Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2022, 08:13 PM   #1

GM paint quality going down again

2020 2500hd Custom, front bumper paint peeling. About a six by eight inch patch just peeled right off when washing the salt off at the car wash. Service writer at Chevrolet said GM probably will not warrant it because I was using the manual car wash bay because my truck will not fit in the automatic anymore (I added a Thule rack) He wouldn't even get out of his chair to look at it. Fortunately the truck is black, and the bumper under the paint is flat black, so it is not noticeable. You can tell the bumper was not prepped correctly from the way it peeled in one piece. I will probably take it to another dealer, or have a body shop write up why it failed. Also, if you have a musty smell in your 20' plus gm, they have an unwritten recall on the cab rear airdam leaking. My son in laws 21' was leaking, and they pulled the air dam off and re-caulked it. Mine probably is too, as ocasionally it has smelled musty when I park on a hill.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #2

I had a Ford Ranger
The paint was pealing of the roof of the Ranger in large strips
Clearly the paint wasn't adhering to the primer
I took it to the Ford dealer and had the body shop look at it
The body shop manager ... looked it over carefully ... walked around it and checked it all over ... AND SAID TO ME ....
... "you've had this truck outside" .... "if you have your vehicle in the sun the paint will peal off every time" ...
I was dumbstruck ... so I said ... I keep the truck in a garage ... the only time it is in the sun is when I am at work
to that he said ... ... "you've had this truck outside" .... "if you have your vehicle in the sun the paint will peal off every time" ... "there is no way Ford will warranty the paint if you've had it in the sun"
.... to which I responded ... OMG ... I should have ordered the outdoor model truck ... so next time I should order the outdoor trim on the truck
... they didn't fix the paint on my truck
My next truck was a chevy ...
god's honest truth
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:22 PM   #3

Go to another dealer or contact GM directly. There’s no excuse for paint peeling off a vehicle less than 3 years old.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Go to another dealer or contact GM directly. There’s no excuse for paint peeling off a vehicle less than 3 years old.
Ive been looking on the net for contact info, but all they list is for selling you a vehicle. Bad as trying to get support from Amazon!
Old 02-01-2022, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
I had a Ford Ranger
The body shop manager ... looked it over carefully ... walked around it and checked it all over ... AND SAID TO ME ....
... "you've had this truck outside" .... "if you have your vehicle in the sun the paint will peal off every time" ...
I was dumbstruck ... so I said ... I keep the truck in a garage ... the only time it is in the sun is when I am at work
to that he said ... ... "you've had this truck outside" .... "if you have your vehicle in the sun the paint will peal off every time" ... "there is no way Ford will warranty the paint if you've had it in the sun"
.... to which I responded ... OMG ... I should have ordered the outdoor model truck ... so next time I should order the outdoor trim on the truck
god's honest truth
I had a new 1990 F150, the second week I had it, you could not turn the engine off. Drove it back to the dealer, and they replaced the ignition switch cylinder. They said a lot of them were failing. The paint job was so bad, you could see the grey primer in the bed stake pockets!
Old 02-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #6

I bought a brand new ford ranger (you'd think I would learn)
at 4000 miles the tires were cupping and were unbalanced
I when to the dealer and said there must be a front end issue for the tire to cup at 4000 miles
The ford dealer said ... the salesman that sold me the truck ... said
"no the problem isn't the front end, the problem is the tires they put on these are no good and it happens every time." He said I need to replace the tires.
He said that Ford won't warranty the tires because the tires were no good to begin with ... the tires Ford put on at the factory??? ...
I eventually figured out that to get any milage out of those particular truck tires they had to be rotated constantly to cancel out the odd ball wear
Fix Or Repair Daily ...
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly3 View Post
Ive been looking on the net for contact info, but all they list is for selling you a vehicle. Bad as trying to get support from Amazon!
My son is a service writer for Chrysler FCA. A dealership is the best way to get a Gm regional rep to look at your problem. Of the vehicle is still within the 3 year, 36000 mile period you should be able to get warranty repairs. And even if it’s just slightly out of date, they should work with you unless the vehicle has clearly been abused (as in never washed or waxed)
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:06 AM   #8

Paint quality on vehicles has been suffering since the EPA got involved with the process.
Anecdotal stories about 30 year old Fords and Dodges don't help in this instance.
If the Chevy dealer involved has a body shop go to the body shop manager and see what he can do about it.
Today's dealership service writers are used car salesmen that didn't make the cut. The good ones got out of the business when the big boss wanted them to sell fluid exchanges and tires instead of fixing a customers issues.
After 44 years in franchised dealers service operations I've seen it all and glad to be retired.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:20 AM   #9

There is a phone number in the back of your owners manual that you can call.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:12 AM   #10

I ordered and bought a new Chevy pickup in 1989, delivered in Feb 1990.
The paint on the hood was all pitted from underneath.
Yes I got the dealer to swap hoods, but this is to point out that a paint system glitch can happen at any time. And it's not always easy to find.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:21 AM   #11

Maybe look at Chrysler. My 2014 Jeep Cherokee lived outside for 8 years now and washed occasionally but never waxed. Still looks new!

must have got the outdoor version
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
I had a Ford Ranger
god's honest truth

WOW! I would have had a hard time not coming across the counter & choking this guy. "You've had this truck outside!" Well no $hit! It's not a television!
Old 02-02-2022, 09:08 AM   #13

I had minor clouding about the size of a small pancake on the door panel of a HD truck a few years back that nobody but me and guys who know paint could see unless I pointed it out with a color match inspection light or looked at it at the right angle in direct sunlight. My dealership did not blink and had the door panel repainted at a pro body shop and submitted it under warranty.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly3 View Post

Service writer at Chevrolet said GM probably will not warrant it because I was using the manual car wash bay because my truck will not fit in the automatic anymore (I added a Thule rack) He wouldn't even get out of his chair to look at it.
Oh boy make my blood boil.
I would have probably berated him for being such a pr**k.
He is totally clueless. You better show me where it says that using a self service car wash voids the warranty on the paint.
He can't because there isn't .
Arrogant fools I will not tolerate He would regret meeting me.
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, quality