Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #1

GMC hand free- thoughts?

I have seen the commercial for the new GMC truck with hands free driving. They close out with a shot of the truck towing a travel trailer. The implication is “hands free”. That doesn’t seem like a great idea. I wonder how it handles sway?
Anyone else hesitant to tow hands free?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Coming soon to an RV near you!
Old 11-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylandorsea View Post
Coming soon to an RV near you!
In the wrong lane?
Old 11-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #4

I think GM calls it 'Super Cruise'. It is too new IMHO to use it. Maybe in a few years it will be a lot better. Just like voice recognition. 5 years ago voice recognition was not very good. Now it is really good.

Tesla is pushing the self driving craze. So GM, Ford, Nissan, Ram Toyota will need to follow or get left behind.

Again - I think it is too new but in 5 years who knows if any car will need a steering wheel?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coevers View Post
I have seen the commercial for the new GMC truck with hands free driving. They close out with a shot of the truck towing a travel trailer. The implication is “hands free”. That doesn’t seem like a great idea. I wonder how it handles sway?
Anyone else hesitant to tow hands free?
It will happen when chaos comes out of nowhere that a handsfree driver will crash because he lost microseconds while freeing his otherwise busy hands to retake control of the wheel.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
It will happen when chaos comes out of nowhere that a handsfree driver will crash because he lost microseconds while freeing his otherwise busy hands to retake control of the wheel.
You mean while he's playing paddy cake like in the commercial? I like adaptive cruise but I prefer to keep my hands on the wheel. This does not interest me.
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #7

I like the line on the bottom of the screen.
“On Compatible Roads” I wonder what happens on freshly paved roads with just the little reflective tabs every so often?
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
You mean while he's playing paddy cake like in the commercial? I like adaptive cruise but I prefer to keep my hands on the wheel. This does not interest me.
No better line than "We will, we will rock you!"
Old 11-27-2021, 08:33 PM   #9

Let's see: He is sitting in the driver's seat and is therefore responsible for his three passengers. I figure if you are sitting there anyhow, why not steer your truck? I guess clapping along with Queen is more important than controlling your truck at speed.

I wonder how expensive the Super Cruise option is. I guess people will be willing to shell out big bucks so they can be "groovy" and shirk their driving responsibilities. Hands on the wheel for me while driving and as a passenger.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:39 PM   #10

I think GM and Audi are so far the only two with hands free. Mercedes has hinted at a hands free system coming for the last year. No idea on GM’s price for it. I’ve heard it’s pretty impressive though.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #11

Super Cruise is set to be installed in my GFs Bolt EUV which is on order, so I have little info or manuals to go on.

From what I know, it will work on roads, well, highways, that have been thoroughly scouted, mapped out and geolocated only. AFAIK the system won't "arm" just anywhere. It's no different than Tesla or others except that these roads have all been scanned and are probably monmitored regularly.

Will we use it? I dunno. We'll surely try it. Is it something I am looking for? NO. I like driving for the most part, I just hate idiot drivers.

Sway and other things are not connected per se to Super Cruise, but I'm pretty sure GM has some anti sway software on the well equipped trucks. It's only programming at that point as all the needed sensors and wiring are already there.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
No idea on GM’s price for it. I’ve heard it’s pretty impressive though.
Would that be impressively high or low?
Mel556180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel556180 View Post
Would that be impressively high or low?
It's only software. All the needed stuff is already there for other systems. Heck, a 45 000$ Bolt EUV will have it.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Super Cruise is set to be installed in my GFs Bolt EUV which is on order, so I have little info or manuals to go on.

From what I know, it will work on roads, well, highways, that have been thoroughly scouted, mapped out and geolocated only. AFAIK the system won't "arm" just anywhere. It's no different than Tesla or others except that these roads have all been scanned and are probably monmitored regularly.

Will we use it? I dunno. We'll surely try it. Is it something I am looking for? NO. I like driving for the most part, I just hate idiot drivers.

Sway and other things are not connected per se to Super Cruise, but I'm pretty sure GM has some anti sway software on the well equipped trucks. It's only programming at that point as all the needed sensors and wiring are already there.
It’s a little different than Tesla. We have a Tesla. Tesla is not hands free. It requires hands on the wheel all the time although one can remove them for short periods of time. Maybe up to 3O seconds. It checks. People have found ways to cheat it but it’s not supposed to be done.

Tesla system relies 100 percent on cameras and visual. There is no dependance on mapping or geo fencing.

When a trailer is connected to the 7 pin connector on a Tesla the auto pilot and FSD are completely disabled.

FSD or full self drive and full self drive city is still Beta with Tesla.

We have FSD on our car. Works pretty good most of the time. But it’s definitely a hands on system.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free