Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 06:30 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GMC Yukon

Anybody tow with a 2020 GMC Yukon?
Any year yukon?
If so I would like to hear what you tow.
Thank you.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 06:49 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
I towed with my 2015 GMC Denali- 28ft Enclosed Trailer-approx. (7500lbs) 1500 miles-From Indy to Upper Minnesota to deliver a Car.
Towed surprisingly Well- Did 65 and 70 both ways-Brake controller really works great.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:22 PM   #3

I tow a 24ft, relatively tongue heavy trailer with our 2019 Yukon Denali 6.2L. Does pretty well. Several trips to each coast on Interstate and in high winds. Does pretty well and of course very comfortable inside. But I doubt that I would try anything longer or heavier. We did change out the P rated tires to LT and that helped.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:37 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That sounds great I might bite on a new Yukon
Been shopping around but am going to take my time.
I have 30ft and have been consistently under 7000ib tow weight. So I would think I would be ok.
Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #5

Consider the Yukon XL model - not sure how the specs differ from the Yukon, but the added length may make for a more stable platform to tow from.

Yukon = Tahoe
Yukon XL = Suburban
Old 08-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Consider the Yukon XL model - not sure how the specs differ from the Yukon, but the added length may make for a more stable platform to tow from.

Yukon = Tahoe
Yukon XL = Suburban
Yes I agree. I was talking to a fellow who tows a 30ft TT. And he agreed that the longer wheelbase he might have considered for exactly the reasons you state. However he needed the shorter WB.
My reason for wanting the shorter Yukon is parking at our Condo is not great and I just want to make it easier to park. I have a Sierra full size truck long wheelbase and parking in the city can be a pain. We have only one parking stall. If I could get another stall it would be a no brainer I would get a smaller vehicle.
But your point is well taken and something I will be looking at closely.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #7

X2 longer wheelbase for a 30 ft trailer
Old 08-03-2021, 04:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
Yes I agree. I was talking to a fellow who tows a 30ft TT. And he agreed that the longer wheelbase he might have considered for exactly the reasons you state. However he needed the shorter WB.
My reason for wanting the shorter Yukon is parking at our Condo is not great and I just want to make it easier to park. I have a Sierra full size truck long wheelbase and parking in the city can be a pain. We have only one parking stall. If I could get another stall it would be a no brainer I would get a smaller vehicle.
But your point is well taken and something I will be looking at closely.
The XL is the same size wheel base as a regular cab 8' bed truck. It's shorter then a crew cab 6' bed truck.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For the amount of towing I do I won't go with the XL. Although I do agree handling would not be as good.
I don't have much choice as I have to go with the shorter wheelbase.
I met a fellow with a Yukon who tows a 30ft trailer for the past 5 years and has not had any problems.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #10

"I met a fellow with a Yukon who tows a 30ft trailer for the past 5 years and has not had any problems."

A 30ft.? No problems? I'm skeptical.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:44 AM   #11

I just traded a ‘20 GMC Yukon Denali XL w/18K mi for a ‘21 RAM 2500 diesel. We own a Forrest River Vibe 25RK and found that even using an Equal-I-Zer WD hitch, we had sway at over 50 MPH. I tried everything I could think of to move gear around. I think the problem was 2 fold - too much hitch weight (my hitch weight, measured using a hitch weight scale, was 900#)and too heavy a rear end as the rear kitchen puts a lot of weight on the rear end of the TT. I never travel with water in my tanks so that wasn’t an issue either. Due to the low GCVW of the Yukon XL, we decided to pack very lightly choosing to go grocery shopping after arriving at the campsite. So my recommendation is to look very closely at the numbers of your Yukon. The short wheel base may give you issues too. My Yukon XL had a max tow weight of 7900#! The Denali have way too many electric motors on board and other things that add to creature comfort but subtract from GVW.

Good luck!
str8shuutr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #12

You don't think wheelbase was your problem because I do.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:21 AM   #13

I’m not sure what the problem was but wheelbase definitely could have been the culprit. It’s moot now, thankfully.
str8shuutr45 is offline   Reply With Quote