Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
They don't throw crude oil away at the refinery. Rather, they ship the refined products wherever there's a market for them. We actually produce more diesel fuel than we can use in the U.S. where there are relatively few diesel cars but in the U.S. we are short on gasoline. We have tankers leaving the U.S. carrying our excess diesel fuel to Europe and bringing gasoline (which European refiners produce in excess due to the high population of diesel cars there) back to the U.S. Petroleum and refined petroleum products are global commodities.

You'll have to come up with a better straw man than that!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwithrow View Post
This brings me back to the fact that the diesel takes more barrels of crude oil to supply it with the fuel to do the job that a gasser can do using less barrels of crude oil. Sure it's our pocket books we're worried about but if everyone but semi trucks stopped using diesel, diesel cost would go down and we would be using fewer barrels of crude oil.
Not necessarily, if we stop using diesel, they will cut back on supply and the prices will be the same.

If memory serves me correctly, you get 20 gallons of gas from a barrel of oil, and 8 gallons of diesel from a barrel. However, gasoline requires a ton of refinement to produce it, and diesels require much less which is why the prices are what they are.

However if you are trying to do your part to save the planet, your efforts are futile. Peak oil is going to happen, experts are saying 50-150 years from now. fracking techniques are helping extend that timeframe, but it will happen. The biggest problem is not saving a few MPG's per vehicle, or diesel vs gasoline. It's that our worlds population is growing exponentially, and third world countries are getting more mechanized and buying cars. As much as we do to save fuel, up and coming populations will suck it back down faster than we can save. Peak oil will happen, it's just a matter of when.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
Not necessarily, if we stop using diesel, they will cut back on supply and the prices will be the same.

If memory serves me correctly, you get 20 gallons of gas from a barrel of oil, and 8 gallons of diesel from a barrel. However, gasoline requires a ton of refinement to produce it, and diesels require much less which is why the prices are what they are.

However if you are trying to do your part to save the planet, your efforts are futile. Peak oil is going to happen, experts are saying 50-150 years from now. fracking techniques are helping extend that timeframe, but it will happen. The biggest problem is not saving a few MPG's per vehicle, or diesel vs gasoline. It's that our worlds population is growing exponentially, and third world countries are getting more mechanized and buying cars. As much as we do to save fuel, up and coming populations will suck it back down faster than we can save. Peak oil will happen, it's just a matter of when.
HA I'm not necessarily trying to do my part in saving the planet,, I pull a 5th wheel with a big block.. I also do it with little impact to my pocket book as far as vehicle investment and fuel cost. I could be like my brother and buy a '13 Montana 3406 and pull it with a '14 Chevy CC diesel dually and have about $120,000. in it or do what I do but in the end, we're doing the same thing with about as much impact on our planet. I get to keep more of my money though.
rlwithrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #32

Quote:
This brings me back to the fact that the diesel takes more barrels of crude oil to supply it with the fuel to do the job that a gasser can do using less barrels of crude oil. Sure it's our pocket books we're worried about but if everyone but semi trucks stopped using diesel, diesel cost would go down and we would be using fewer barrels of crude oil.
They can make diesel with anything. Old man Diesel proved it himself. It's the reason for the invention.

Now the diesel fuel looks more like gasoline. If they would not take all the lighter gasoline out of a barrel of oil there might be more diesel fuel left. Europe sells their gasoline at a good price for exchange for diesel.

We use to use Bunker C fuel in our oil burners due to price. But that fuel got so dirty and loaded with clinkers that we had to switch to cleaner diesel and more expensive fuel. Its the profit margin that talks and now there is more money in gas per BTU then in Diesel.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #33

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
Are you sure you don't have a 6.0, not the new 6.2L?? I don't think they did in 2012. The 6.0 is a totally different engine, and outdated.
I am absolutely certain my 2011 GMC Yukon Denali has a 6.2 ltr engine.

GM introduced the Vortec L92 6.2 ltr engine in 2007.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #34

Quote:
HA I'm not necessarily trying to do my part in saving the planet,, I pull a 5th wheel with a big block.. I also do it with little impact to my pocket book as far as vehicle investment and fuel cost. I could be like my brother and buy a '13 Montana 3406 and pull it with a '14 Chevy CC diesel dually and have about $120,000. in it or do what I do but in the end, we're doing the same thing with about as much impact on our planet. I get to keep more of my money though.
Yea, but that's between you and your brother and not an apples to apples comparison. Keeping your used truck vs buying a new truck.

If you both bought everything brand new like he did, you would be about $112,000 into it for a gasser and he would be $120,000 into it for a diesel. The different in price is fairly negligible when you're talking that kind of money.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:11 AM   #35

Well to the original post, the Yukon Xl with the 8.1 will do a fine job at pulling a travel trailer. By now though, she has probably been on several trips and already upgraded to a 5th wheel and diesel truck.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #36

On the current GM website I have not seen any evidence of the 6.2L even being offered with any of the 2500 series or higher. They still show the 6.0L. I thought the 6.2L was offered with the older Escalades and it appears to be on some of the GMC SUV's. The 2014 1500 has the 6.2L but I don't see anywhere where it is offered on the bigger trucks yet. 2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD | Powertrain & Chassis | Chevrolet

If I was looking for a tow Suburban I would definitely look for a 8.1L version. We have a small fleet of various year 2500 Suburbans for our ECO units with the 6.0L and I am very unimpressed with it's performance with a small load we have on them. Not sure what gear ratios they are but the RPMs are around 2300 at 65MPH.

I would also be doing some investigation on what years the transfer cases are having problems. We have one of our 05's at the dealer for a broken transfer case. GM and all the US dealers do not have any (per the GM dealer). There is an extremely high failure rate causing the supply to be gone. I was able to get one through the Ford dealer I used to work at by going through the one of the Ford remanufactures. GM was telling me 2-3 weeks to get a transfer case.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #37

Looks like the transfer case pump rub kit is $79.95. the link below lists transfer case numbers that are affected and the repair kit woks on. Doesn't look to be too bad a job and would eliminate future high cost of further repairs.

Merchant Automotive Transfer Case Pump Upgrade Kit - MadJack Diesel Performance
Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Looks like the transfer case pump rub kit is $79.95. the link below lists transfer case numbers that are affected and the repair kit woks on. Doesn't look to be too bad a job and would eliminate future high cost of further repairs.

Merchant Automotive Transfer Case Pump Upgrade Kit - MadJack Diesel Performance
Not sure if this is the issue that they are having but 05 that I had to send in for service was not leaking at all. No fluid loss.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
On the current GM website I have not seen any evidence of the 6.2L even being offered with any of the 2500 series or higher. They still show the 6.0L. I thought the 6.2L was offered with the older Escalades and it appears to be on some of the GMC SUV's. The 2014 1500 has the 6.2L but I don't see anywhere where it is offered on the bigger trucks yet. 2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD | Powertrain & Chassis | Chevrolet

If I was looking for a tow Suburban I would definitely look for a 8.1L version. We have a small fleet of various year 2500 Suburbans for our ECO units with the 6.0L and I am very unimpressed with it's performance with a small load we have on them. Not sure what gear ratios they are but the RPMs are around 2300 at 65MPH.

I would also be doing some investigation on what years the transfer cases are having problems. We have one of our 05's at the dealer for a broken transfer case. GM and all the US dealers do not have any (per the GM dealer). There is an extremely high failure rate causing the supply to be gone. I was able to get one through the Ford dealer I used to work at by going through the one of the Ford remanufactures. GM was telling me 2-3 weeks to get a transfer case.
The 6.2 is in the 2014 Chevy 1500 truck.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #40

Quote:
The 6.2 is in the 2014 Chevy 1500 truck.
I know, that was in my first paragraph.

Tags
towing