Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2018, 10:20 PM   #1

Going to be used truck shopping

Wife had to go and say she wants a travel trailer, but I like the idea of a fifth wheel better, that's another debate for a later time. She also wants out of her little car and into something bigger, and since we'll need a truck to tow with, here I am.
The trailer won't be anything big, probably the 30-35ft range, but no bigger. It's just me, my wife, and our soon to be 6 year old, but have time to pick that out.
For the truck, we'll be wanting to stay under $15k, gas and srw seem like they'd be best. It'll be a daily driver, my commute is less than 5 miles (I think that disqualifies diesel) and snug parking spots (the 1500 ram I park next to is on the line on both sides)
Not that it matters, but I'm normally a Chevy guy, everyone I've ever known with Fords have had problems, but will consider them if it's the best way to go.
I tried doing some autotrader searches, but I don't even know where to begin to shop for a used truck for towing. I can obviously find the right model, but figuring out which had the best gvwr I'm lost.

Thanx in advance
RovingTriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #2

No way would I tow something that big with a half-ton pickup.

A dual rear wheel pickup would be much safer.

At least get something with a full-floating rear axle.
Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:31 PM   #3

You want to have enough truck to pull the trailer safely and comfortably.

So you either find a truck and then get a trailer to match, or find a trailer and get a truck to match.

There's a big difference between a 30 foot bumper pull and 35 foot bumper pull, and then there is an even bigger difference if you go to a 5th wheel.

A properly outfitted F150 (max payload, max tow and a 3.5 ecoboost) will comfortably handle many 30 foot bumper pulls...it won't handle most (or any) 35 footers comfortably, nor any 5th wheels of similar size.

Even many 250's/2500's won't comfortably handle the larger trailers mentioned above....depends on how they set up.

If you choose a truck first, then get a trailer to match, or go the other way, trailer first.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:33 PM   #4

I was hoping 3/4 would be usable, but wouldn't try it in a 1/2 ton.
The sizes I listed were based of floor plans we looked without doing much research. And that I didn't see many smaller fifth wheels.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:46 PM   #5

Keep in mind that "3/4 ton", "250", "2500", and similar terminology doesn't necessarily mean that you're gonna get a full-floating rear axle. Many manufacturers are cheaping out on their "3/4 ton" trucks nowadays, by not including a full-floating rear axle.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:48 PM   #6

What does "RovingTriker" mean? I don't see an introductory post from you in the New Member Check-In section:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/
Old 10-25-2018, 05:08 AM   #7

For 15k you will not be able to buy a reliable used truck me thinks. Also think a travel trailer 22' to 26' for half ton truck to comfortably tow. 5th wheels are out.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:06 AM   #8

Grand Design Owners Club
In living space terms , a 35' bumper pull is about equal to a 30-32' fifth wheel. You could probably find a light weight 29-30'er with gross weight under 10k. The proper 3/4 ton will handle it but it'll be close.
When we got our first RV I had an F250 PSD. I towed it one trip.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:51 AM   #9

The responses are correct. You need to find out what your limits are going to be. Either that's finding a trailer that you like, then getting a truck that can tow it. Or finding a truck, then going trailer shopping with the trucks specs. It's very hard to shop for both at the same time. You could end up with too much trailer for the truck. If 15k is you budget on a truck, your going to be looking at older trucks. Might get luck and find a lower milage one, but still going to have the age. I would agree to look at 3/4 tons for anything 30' or bigger. It's a big sail. Just look at the gross weights on the trailer to make sure whatever truck you get can handle the weights.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, RovingTriker, and :welcome" and to our campfire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingTriker View Post
The trailer won't be anything big, probably the 30-35ft range, but no bigger. It's just me, my wife, and our soon to be 6 year old, but have time to pick that out.
Because of the limitations of your tow vehicle, find a conventional ("bumper pull") travel trailer (TT) with specs that say the overall length not more than about 32'. Travel trailers have interior living space about 4 to 5 feet less than the overall length. A "box" length of about 28' will result in a ~32' overall length TT, because the overall length includes the tongue and the rear bumper and spare tire.

Numerous floor plans are available with overall length of about 32', and most 3/4-ton pickups, even Chevy 2500s with the 60L engine and the right rear axle ratio, can tow them without being overloaded.

Slide rooms are nice, but heavy, so stay away from TTs with more than one "super slide".

With your family, you want a bunkhouse design. Use one of the bunks for the kid, and the other for storage in big plastic bins you can buy at any big-box store.

Quote:
For the truck, we'll be wanting to stay under $15k, gas and srw seem like they'd be best....Not that it matters, but I'm normally a Chevy guy, …
GM (Chevy and GMC) make decent trucks in the 2500 and 3500 SRW class. So you have to find one with the right specs for your needs.

In your case, too much truck is better than not enough. So I would look for a 3,500 SRW. The 3500 SRW is almost identical to the 2500 except it has more payload capacity. With the 3,500 you can ignore the GVWR because the truck will have plenty of payload capacity for a 32' TT

Quote:
I tried doing some autotrader searches, but I don't even know where to begin to shop for a used truck for towing. I can obviously find the right model, but figuring out which had the best gvwr I'm lost.
That's a good reason to limit your search to a 3500 SRW. Then your only decision is engine and cab.

A quick look on NADAGuides.com indicates that with your budget, assuming a Chevy/GMC 3500 SRW CrewCab 4x2 with 6.0L gas engine, the newest you can probably find is 10 years old, or a 2008. And it's going to have enough miles to be considered "worn out" by most shoppers. So good luck in your search.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #11

So what I'm gathering is skip the 3/4t and go with full ton. But a srw gas won't be a good choice for a fifth wheel, so I should go with a TT instead.

Am I correct on my short commute wouldn't be good for a diesel?
Old 10-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #12

Short commutes aren’t good for any engine especially diesels.
If I was you I would start out by looking at TT’s and 5ers first to narrow down exactly what you would like in size and weights. Remember bigger is not better when it comes to RV’ing. Go with the smallest that you’ll be happy with.
It’s just my wife, and I, and our 18 year old son, and we’re in a 20’ TT, and it’s plenty big for us. We previously camped in a large DP, and I would never go back. We travel with ease, and can go many places where others can’t. You can enjoy the outdoors in any RV because it sure as heck is a lot better than a tent.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #13

Good point on the size, especially as we're not the type to sit around inside. A bunkhouse, give him his own area, is our main requirement, but in 5ers I'm not seeing used ones under 30ft. Almost everything I've read says those are better towing and easier to back in to tight spots.

I did some quick autotrader-ing for silverado 3500 and f-350 under $15,000, only 9 gas and close to 100 diesel. Of those, I think 10 were Chevys, is there a reason for so many cheap used Fords? Sometimes I wish my commute was farther, if I wasn't disabled I would consider walking it.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
One quick word from experience. Stretch a little now instead of wasting money working up the RV chain to what really suits you best - you will save money that way. I would at least get a big gas engine 3/4 or 1 ton so you will be able to not have to change trucks down the pike. I prefer diesel but being a daily driver, maybe gas for you makes more sense. Bottom line is stretch a little now to save a more later. jmo mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote