Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2022, 08:10 PM   #1

Good article on towing weights

I can’t speak to the veracity of the information but it’s interesting:

https://www.rvtravel.com/maximum-tow...-mirrors-1076/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2022, 08:33 PM   #2

I agree a good 'what can I tow' article. A few things they fail to mention is the truck is new. After 5 years does the truck still tow like it did when it was new?

J2807 is a step in the right direction. I like the stickers on the GM trucks. I wish other truck manufacturers would do the same.

I do not agree with there weight estimates. 10% for a travel trailer and 15% for a 5th wheel are way too light. IMHO it should be 15% for travel trailers and 22% to 25% for 5th wheels.

They do mention that that all half ton trucks are the same. Just look at Ford with that HDPP option. Also I have seen of some older GM trucks 1500HD.

But all in all a very good article.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 12:28 AM   #3

That's a pretty-well written blog.
To remove all the salesman hype and chest-beating bravado from the procedure; this online towing calculator accurately and safely matches a tow vehicle and trailer.
You'll note some blocks require actual weights instead of mfgrs. published figures. It also includes the standard 10% safety factor used by most full-timers to help make their equipment more reliable.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 08:50 PM   #4

Interesting blog ??
Blogger is a rv engineer not a truck engineer.

He says quote....
"P.S. You can find your advertised towing capacity on a Trailering Guide or Towing Selector chart from your manufacturer. You can also subtract your tow vehicle’s GVWR from its GCWR, both of which you can find on your Safety Compliance Certification Label."

I assume he means the truck certification door placard which a GCWR isn't required at this time.

Looking at 2021-2022 new trucks on dealers lots just fawr/rawr/gvwr are required on the cert placard.
He does mention a proper equipped 1/2 ton can tow a 13000 lb trailer.

80 % rule ??? better suited for our older under powered under braked '70s/80s/'90s LDTs. Todays high hp gazzers and diesel no problems pulling the max tow ratings....if under axle/tire/wheel ratings.

Our truck mfg tow ratings are for all types of trailers...not just a rv trailer with fixed hitch weights which percentages can vary greatly especially from a tri axle to a tandem axle 5th wheel trailer.

Interesting perspective from the rv engineers blog.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 03:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Interesting blog ??
Blogger is a rv engineer not a truck engineer.

He says quote....
"P.S. You can find your advertised towing capacity on a Trailering Guide or Towing Selector chart from your manufacturer. You can also subtract your tow vehicle’s GVWR from its GCWR, both of which you can find on your Safety Compliance Certification Label."

I assume he means the truck certification door placard which a GCWR isn't required at this time.

Looking at 2021-2022 new trucks on dealers lots just fawr/rawr/gvwr are required on the cert placard.

80 % rule ??? better suited for our older under powered under braked '70s/80s/'90s LDTs. Todays high hp gazzers and diesel no problems pulling the max tow ratings....if under axle/tire/wheel ratings.

Our truck mfg tow ratings are for all types of trailers...not just a rv trailer with fixed hitch weights which percentages can vary greatly especially from a tri axle to a tandem axle 5th wheel trailer.

Interesting perspective from the rv engineers blog.
Disagree. Ratings are not for all types trailers. There is a caveat in the towing section of the owner's manuals about sq ft frontage of trailers. Cargo, TT, etc.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:33 AM   #6

JIMNLIN always pushes the envelope. I disagree with him all the time. Frontal area with big flat sides is like trying to tow a heavy box on wheels. He also does not understand the fight the manufacturers go thru for bragging rights for marketing.

There are all kinds of trailers. The most extreme trailer on one end is the RV type on the other end is a flat bed trailer. Which one would catch more air? A boat on a trailer is in the middle of all types of trailers.

JIMNLIN is also a professional trucker. He also does not understand that most RV'ers are not professional truckers.

The next time anyone is at an RV dealer that sells Jayco Eagle brand of RV's take a look at the 330 series. Those are big long heavy travel trailers that have a GVWR of 10,999lbs or 11,999lbs. I don't think any super duper half ton can tow those. I would want a dually truck JIMNLIN would want a F-150 with the HDPP option.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
JIMNLIN always pushes the envelope. I disagree with him all the time. Frontal area with big flat sides is like trying to tow a heavy box on wheels. He also does not understand the fight the manufacturers go thru for bragging rights for marketing.

There are all kinds of trailers. The most extreme trailer on one end is the RV type on the other end is a flat bed trailer. Which one would catch more air? A boat on a trailer is in the middle of all types of trailers.

JIMNLIN is also a professional trucker. He also does not understand that most RV'ers are not professional truckers.

The next time anyone is at an RV dealer that sells Jayco Eagle brand of RV's take a look at the 330 series. Those are big long heavy travel trailers that have a GVWR of 10,999lbs or 11,999lbs. I don't think any super duper half ton can tow those. I would want a dually truck JIMNLIN would want a F-150 with the HDPP option.
Your clueless as usual what jimnlin wants or recommends or if I was ever a professional trucker....which I was not.
Just a construction company owner who had a cdl moving his wheeled equipment and materials to the next multi state job site with a lot of miles doing so.

As far as giving recommendations on tow vehicle size I'm of the opinion give the tow vehicle in question mfg ratings and let the individual decide what he/she should tow.
Some tend to dictate what others should do.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Disagree. Ratings are not for all types trailers. There is a caveat in the towing section of the owner's manuals about sq ft frontage of trailers. Cargo, TT, etc.
LOL...your nit picking.
Maybe in your owners manual but .....There is no such thing in my trucks owners manuals.

Mfg tow ratings cover all type of trailers. If your under powered trucks owners manual has a frontal area formula then it would be a good idea to do so. Not so much with a new gen high hp/torque LDT diesel.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:03 AM   #9

You dictate too and having a CDL makes you a much better driver than most RV owners.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:22 AM   #10

Quote:
He says quote....

My half ton truck label has

GVWR
GCWR
RGAWR
Curb Weight
Max Payload

Conventional TWR
Max Tongue Weight
Gooseneck TWR
Max Tongue Weight (by the position of this, I presume this is for a gooseneck.)

A second label has GVWR, GAWR FRT, and GAWR RR.

Guess I presumed all new trucks would have that information on the label(s).

I will say, if the hit the max tongue weight for a gooseneck trailer on my truck with me driving, I may be able to take my cocker spaniel with me, but the springer spaniel would put me over the max payload.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:07 AM   #11

It's pretty simple. When in doubt move up in series.
If an F150 is borderline then get an F250 and so on.
If you have to worry about small things then you're pushing it too close.
Or get a smaller trailer. It ain't rocket science.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I agree a good 'what can I tow' article. A few things they fail to mention is the truck is new. After 5 years does the truck still tow like it did when it was new?

J2807 is a step in the right direction. I like the stickers on the GM trucks. I wish other truck manufacturers would do the same.

I do not agree with there weight estimates. 10% for a travel trailer and 15% for a 5th wheel are way too light. IMHO it should be 15% for travel trailers and 22% to 25% for 5th wheels.

They do mention that that all half ton trucks are the same. Just look at Ford with that HDPP option. Also I have seen of some older GM trucks 1500HD.

But all in all a very good article.
I agree that it's a good article and one that would benefit plenty of newbie RV owners......and some non-newbies as well.

I also agree with the percentages.

Half ton trucks are not all created equally, though with few exceptions, every one of them falls far short of a basic 3/4 ton.

The only thing I would disagree with is the premise that the age of the truck matters; unless something is broken or worn beyond tolerance there is no reason that a truck can't tow the same load as the day it rolled out of the dealer's lot. I know you like new stuff, but I've worked in the automotive industry for years, have modified, restored, built and repaired many vehicles and own a small fleet of trucks......which I tend to keep until they have about 400 - 500k miles on them. My personal truck, up until a few months ago, was a 2003 CTD Ram and I kept that truck in absolutely perfect condition......and I've upgraded it over the years with custom overload spring packs, HD shocks, better tires, etc. etc. There is zero doubt in my mind that the truck is just as capable today as it was in 2003......a 5 year old truck? ...barely broken in yet!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 11-01-2022, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
It's pretty simple. When in doubt move up in series.
If an F150 is borderline then get an F250 and so on.
If you have to worry about small things then you're pushing it too close.
Or get a smaller trailer. It ain't rocket science.
Well said.

Dave
Old 11-01-2022, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:

You are right, but that's a bit *IF*; I think his whole point was that in the real world, the 1/2 ton (for eg.) will never make it to 13,000 lbs without being well over RAWR/GVWR/tire max ratings, etc.

The manufacturer's max tow ratings are borderline deceitful and catch many newbies off guard... often to their detriment.

2 cents,
Dave

Tags
tow, towing, weight