Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2019, 08:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
The Gm fix is a new Mercon LV-HP fluid. Ford uses the same transmission.
Yes they are on their 3rd fluid. Still does not fix the issue. I have a dozen coworkers struggling with the local dealers driving $50k new trucks with shuddering trannys. Depressing.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #16

I don't think I would buy another GM product after my catastrophe and haven't in all these years. In 1981, I bought a brand new '81 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Brougham with the V8 diesel. Being a fairly young whipper-snapper I was just getting into Real Estate and wanted a car to take clients around.

OMG, what a freak'n joke that GM would use a gas engine block and convert it to a high compression diesel. I made a vow right then and there to put GM out of business. Well, my one-man-crusade put Oldsmobile out of business then I went to work on Pontiac and that worked well too! LOL!

I joined the class action lawsuit and won..... I kid you not, my check was $10.00. All of the money went to the lawyers.

We've had good luck with Ford and Lincoln product.

If I were buying a truck, it would be a Ford.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
I don't think I would buy another GM product after my catastrophe and haven't in all these years. In 1981, I bought a brand new '81 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Brougham with the V8 diesel. Being a fairly young whipper-snapper I was just getting into Real Estate and wanted a car to take clients around.

OMG, what a freak'n joke that GM would use a gas engine block and convert it to a high compression diesel. I made a vow right then and there to put GM out of business. Well, my one-man-crusade put Oldsmobile out of business then I went to work on Pontiac and that worked well too! LOL!

I joined the class action lawsuit and won..... I kid you not, my check was $10.00. All of the money went to the lawyers.

We've had good luck with Ford and Lincoln product. Although I did have German cars for years and now 'English' cars.

If I were buying a truck, it would be a Ford.

Safe travels,
Mark
You must be Italian to carry a grudge for almost 40 years.
When an Italian says "Your dead to me" its for life. And possibly generations.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #18

Mark, I too gravitate to Ford Trucks and have owned few Ford / Mercury cars in the 1980's and 1990's. I actually had a Mercury car for 10 years then bought a Honda car. The Mercury Cougar XR7 had fewer problems than my Honda.

I have owned 3 Ford trucks all with zero problems.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:34 AM   #19

I'm not buying another GM product. I bought a 2008 505 HP Z06 Corvette. Beat the **** out of it like the last 3 vettes I had. The previous cars held just fine. Then the god damn engine blew right at 36k miles. $23,000 to replace. The "hand built" engine alone was $18,600.

I wasn't alone. People on the forums were not using their Z06es hard at all. Just driving along at 30 MPH and poof.

GM was covering up the issue. Lucky, mine was covered under the 5 year 100k mile warranty, but I sold the car after that since NFW was I going to trust GM.

That was the biggest safety defect ever and the government didn't give a **** either.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #20

Wow, I though the newer Corvettes were rock solid. I got to laugh a little as I got the Corvett out of my system with a junky 1978 that I bought in January 1980 used with 9,000 miles on it. That was when the frame was extra flimsy with a few rattles. Super bad interior fit and finish with big gaps here and there.

The new trucks are nice, solid and quiet. At least until you get a few miles on them. The local Ford and Chevy dealers both offer lifetime oil changes. And my local Ford dealer would give me lifetime warranty on the Eco-Boost engine. I know, they hope I would get rid of it before the turbo blew up.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
You must be Italian to carry a grudge for almost 40 years.
When an Italian says "Your dead to me" its for life. And possibly generations.
Ha ha!! Actually, I am Italian, my Dad was born in Italy and came over as a small child with my grandparents.

I never forget!

Mark
Old 07-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #22

And people say not to buy a 6.0 psd.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #23

One of the hotrod magazines did a write up on an olds diesel build. This was probably 30 years ago. It might have been car craft. They converted it to gas and made it into something like a 445cid smallblock putting out massive power.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #24

I lived thru all those junky diesel engines. Actually there was a lot of junky cars being built back then. The gasoline shortage really caused manufacturers to scramble for solutions.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:28 AM   #25

Carrying an automotive grudge IMHO is silly and likely you will miss out on some good vehicles. Drove subarus in the 70s and 80s, hated them and for 20 years wouldn't consider one. Then I drove a 99 outback and wow, shortly after everyone in the family had one. Never had a head gasket issue, and while they are not perfect they have been good to us for years.
My standards are different though, don't buy trucks for the interior or options and I don't buy new either. I worked for GM in the 70s and watched them make engineering decisions based on accountants. Hated it, and while many companies do this it often compromises the product. But for a truck a chevy seems to be my favorite. Have tried dodge and ford, but have had no luck with them. I still check them our every time I need a truck though.
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:33 AM   #26

Time2camp, I can't help it, holding grudges is in our Italian DNA.

There are so many cars and trucks to pick from. And, it seems that most everything has a good track record.

Safe travels,
Mark
Old 07-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
Yes they are on their 3rd fluid. Still does not fix the issue. I have a dozen coworkers struggling with the local dealers driving $50k new trucks with shuddering trannys. Depressing.
Just discussed this with a GM dealer tech friend this weekend. He says the new fluid cures it if the tech runs all 16 quarts through the transmission. I am also aware some dealers are using the wrong fluid possibly just not to get stuck with it on the shelf.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Ha ha!! Actually, I am Italian, my Dad was born in Italy and came over as a small child with my grandparents.

I never forget!

Mark
My grandfather came to NY as a 3 year old in 1903 with his father and uncle. The two brothers had a fight of some sort and never spoke after that.

Tags
ford