Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #1

Good news for Ram, ok news for Ford, Bad news for GM

GM new trucks are the best they ever built but holy smokes competition is really tough from Ram and Ford.

I also think trucks are outselling SUV/Cars about 2 to 1.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190724-122637.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	254502
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #2

I must not be reading that right. How is 20 some percent more than 30 something? We just went past palm coast today.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
GM new trucks are the best they ever built but holy smokes competition is really tough from Ram and Ford.

I also think trucks are outselling SUV/Cars about 2 to 1.Attachment 254502
Ford offers huge huge discounts most of the time so F150s are real popular here. Gm is #2 overall, but don't forget this is based of the last model year which was getting a bit long in the tooth. We'll see what the 2020 GMs bring for sales. Myself being a GM guy I find some versions horrendous looking, some are bearable, but barely. Maybe it'll grow on me but methinks a 2nd year makeover could very well happen if sales are hurting.

Ram is still #3. I have my opinion on RAM, I'll leave it at that.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #4

For anyone interested in how the RAM actually stacks up in head to head tests with the Chev and Ford and GMC read this article from Motor Trend: The Ram won Truck of the Year for the 1500.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/...k-of-the-year/

Here is a quote from that article:

"We were particularly impressed by the level of fit and finish. Every trim, from the base Tradesman up to the Limited, furnishes at least one two-tone cabin treatment, injecting a bit of personality and style into the cabin at any price point...GM has to be kidding, going up against this with the High Country and Denali," features editor Scott Evans said. "This is a luxury interior. Look at this wood! This leather! The metal, stitching, design, attention to detail! The leather on the grab handles! Cadillac could learn a thing or two by spending an afternoon in this cabin."
Hyperbole aside, he's right. The Ram's cabin ain't just good for a truck. It's good, period.

Now before you jump and say "well that's the 1500...

Here is a similar article about the 2500's:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/...t-test-review/
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #5

I looked at the 2019 Ram 1500. It has the best truck interior on the planet. It has the best ride. The interior rivals Lexus, Mercedes and BMW.

I ended up buying a F-250 Lariat with the Lariat plus package that is kinda nice or should I say nice enough for me.

But I agree the Ram interior has tight gaps and the very best fit and finish.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I must not be reading that right. How is 20 some percent more than 30 something? We just went past palm coast today.
Ram out sold Chevy not GM which includes GMC.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #7

I think the Ram interiors are very nice, but I also think the recent GM HD products have a quieter, smoother, ride, especially unloaded (at least based on the trucks I have ridden in) than the Ram and Ford trucks I have been in. I'd be curious to put a db meter in the current similarly equipped trucks with the same basic tires and take them for a spin.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #8

I believe Ram, Ford, GM are hitting the wall as to how nice they can make a truck. I used to wish for more power, fewer rattles, more solid truck. Well, I got everything I need.

I looked at the new Ram 1500 and Chevy 1500. Both trucks are very impressive. We had company for about 8 days. I drove the company around in my 2017 Ford F-250. Comments were, 'I did not know trucks were this nice'.

2020 is going to be a very good year for trucks. I, for one, am excited.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #9

It also does not help that GM has been struggling with the 8 speed tranny. There still has been no fix and people are POed. If you google it be prepared for a pile of reading.

And combine that with the first $5000 tailgate that can strike it’s own hitch (I think there’s a limerick about that someplace)
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFT View Post
For anyone interested in how the RAM actually stacks up in head to head tests with the Chev and Ford and GMC read this article from Motor Trend: The Ram won Truck of the Year for the 1500.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/...k-of-the-year/

Here is a quote from that article:

"We were particularly impressed by the level of fit and finish. Every trim, from the base Tradesman up to the Limited, furnishes at least one two-tone cabin treatment, injecting a bit of personality and style into the cabin at any price point...GM has to be kidding, going up against this with the High Country and Denali," features editor Scott Evans said. "This is a luxury interior. Look at this wood! This leather! The metal, stitching, design, attention to detail! The leather on the grab handles! Cadillac could learn a thing or two by spending an afternoon in this cabin."
Hyperbole aside, he's right. The Ram's cabin ain't just good for a truck. It's good, period.

Now before you jump and say "well that's the 1500...

Here is a similar article about the 2500's:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/...t-test-review/
I thought you were the electric car advocate. Surprised you’re looking at the fossil fuel versions.
All the trucks are good. The last thing we need is another brand war squabble.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #11

What is wrong with the last few years of the Ram 5.7 hemi? Anyone know or also heard there is a problem? Is it the weak rocker arms I think. I could be wrong but I think that is the issue.

Can anyone shed any light on the 5.7 hemi issues?
Old 07-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
What is wrong with the last few years of the Ram 5.7 hemi? Anyone know or also heard there is a problem? Is it the weak rocker arms I think. I could be wrong but I think that is the issue.

Id be curious about the percentages too. The 5.7 was going into everything there for awhile. It was probably even considered for minivans. If it happened 30000 times over a million units thats still only 3%.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
It also does not help that GM has been struggling with the 8 speed tranny. There still has been no fix and people are POed. If you google it be prepared for a pile of reading.

And combine that with the first $5000 tailgate that can strike it’s own hitch (I think there’s a limerick about that someplace)
The Gm fix is a new Mercon LV-HP fluid. Ford uses the same transmission.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #14

Quote:

Weak rocker arm bearings, worn cams and valves dropping or hanging up. Parts were on national backorder last I checked.

Tags
ford