Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #1

Gooseneck Hidden-Ball Systems - Manufacturer Pros and Cons

So, we recently purchased a 2019 Ford F250 that did not come with the factory Gooseneck/Fifth Wheel Package. We are looking to purchase a Fifth Wheel camper and I am pretty much dead set on using an Andersen Ultimate system to tow. Two primary reasons; the truck is a daily driver and we use the bed, and second we have many friends who have used both conventional fifth wheel and Andersen and all swear Andersen is a superior tow.

Now, on to the real question. When looking for the aftermarket gooseneck addition kits I am finding many options. The first that comes up is the B&W Turnoverball kit. I also found the Curt OEM kit (with a removable ball and cap) and the DoubleLock EZR (but that one doesn't seem to have a matching rail kit for a 2019 Ford F250?). Then I came across the Draw Tite Hide-A-Goose kit which for all intents and purposes seems to be the same as the B&W just less money (buying B&W name?).

Does anyone have experience with any of these and their install? I plan to install myself since I am somewhat handi-capable and have a number of mechanic friends who said they'd help me (for a few beers and laughs of course). I'd really like some feedback on any of these four systems.

Thanks in advance for all of your feedback.
2b1ask1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #2

Does this help at all. A video from JB Reviews on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/9v-sG0gCAOM
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:02 PM   #3

I have the B&W and Andersen ultimate combination, works very well. I would also look into the Reese goosebox to be used in place of the Andersen Ultimate. You gain an air shock between the trailer and truck that way.

I found my B&W on a truck at the local salvage yard, paid $30
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #4

I have the B&W Turnover Ball and use the Reese Goosebox. I've only had the Goosebox for a couple of months but so far it's been great. I especially like the air ride the Goosebox has. It's a much smoother ride. I also purchased a 4" offset ball for a little extra turning radius. I was running the B&W Companion Slider. Problem with it was it took up 60% of my 6'4" bed. I found the Goosebox used for $500 so I figured I'd give it a try. Two weeks later, I sold the Companion.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers17 View Post
I have the B&W Turnover Ball and use the Reese Goosebox. I've only had the Goosebox for a couple of months but so far it's been great. I especially like the air ride the Goosebox has. It's a much smoother ride. I also purchased a 4" offset ball for a little extra turning radius. I was running the B&W Companion Slider. Problem with it was it took up 60% of my 6'4" bed. I found the Goosebox used for $500 so I figured I'd give it a try. Two weeks later, I sold the Companion.
Best combo available except for the Ford OEM ball
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #6

I don't have a 5th wheel so could be wrong here but I understood that a gooseneck hitch is not recommended for a 5th wheel RV trailer as it puts excessive strain on the framework of the RV which is not designed for that kind of stress.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #7

Roy, your correct, but the systems we are talking about do not have the downsides of the old conversions from fifth wheel to gooseneck.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:44 AM   #8

I personally am not a huge fan of b and w, hitch rating is on lower than others and with the levers under bed, they get hung up.
I personally have a cody hitch and like it, have also used a drop n lock in my last truck and was pleased with it in my last truck. Last I looked both hitches could be had with no drill frame mounts.
Father in law has and Anderson and really likes it. I think a goose box is better if you want the bed space without having to pull the hitch.
Ftr918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceKeys View Post
Roy, your correct, but the systems we are talking about do not have the downsides of the old conversions from fifth wheel to gooseneck.
Goose box is approved
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #10

Ive had b&ws in my work trucks for the last 10 years. Keep some lube on the moving parts and ive never had an issue. I was not a huge fan of the andersen connection. It moves your weight to behind the axle instead of in front of where it should be. Towing the same trailer back to back the companion has less wag.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceKeys View Post
I have the B&W and Andersen ultimate combination, works very well. I would also look into the Reese goosebox to be used in place of the Andersen Ultimate. You gain an air shock between the trailer and truck that way.

I found my B&W on a truck at the local salvage yard, paid $30
You're a lucky guy to have found that specific of an item on a salvage yard!
2b1ask1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
Goose box is approved
Limited to 20k and a 4k pin however...

I like the looks of the gen y executive torsion flex can get a 24k and 4.5k pin rating with no air bags
https://genyhitch.com/product/execut...ion-flex-copy/
Old 07-07-2020, 10:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b1ask1 View Post
You're a lucky guy to have found that specific of an item on a salvage yard!
No kidding! I went looking for a switch for my seat, noticed the hitch when I was walking by. They were about to close, so I came back the next day and got the hitch and rear bumper (mine was damaged when someone rear-ended my truck). I really enjoy walking around at salvage yards and finding upgrades for my truck there. Cheap entertainment.

Tags
ems