Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I'm not bashing but this has been my understanding. Please feel free to provide more explanation of why Ram has lower payloads with rear coil springs than just a "this is simply not true" comment.

Ram seems to continually have lower payloads with the rear coils springs when compared to GM or Ford. Move into the Ram 1-ton with rear leaf springs and things completely change.
The ram has lower payloads because the truck simply ways more. The rear axle on the ram has a higher GAWR than a comparable Chevy even though the GVWR (10,000#) is the same. I'm not sure what the rear axle of a ford f250 is rated at as I'm not a Ford fan and simply haven't seen the sticker on one. They will all squat the same when a load is applied until it reaches the overload portion of the spring.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2017, 05:41 PM   #44

Quote:
I'm not bashing but this has been my understanding. Please feel free to provide more explanation of why Ram has lower payloads with rear coil springs than just a "this is simply not true" comment.

Ram seems to continually have lower payloads with the rear coils springs when compared to GM or Ford. Move into the Ram 1-ton with rear leaf springs and things completely change.
As you stated above. Please provide the comparisons of the big three truck makers 3/4 ton payload capacities. Do it for the Ram Laramie 2500, Ford Lariat 250 and Chevy LTZ 2500.

If you mean lower payloads for the Ram and the difference is less than 200 lbs then who cares. Especially for Mystical Mama's needs this conversation is pointless.

To your other point earlier, i am pushing the Ram product because i drive nearly exactly what will tower here trailer easily and safely. WIll the Chevy and Ford 3/4 tons do it too? Absolutely, but there is no doubt that you get more bang for your buck with buying a Ram over Ford or Chevy. Shoot, feel free to post up some good truck in the Ford or Chevy flavor for MM to follow up on. I'm going to recommend what I'm familiar with and have had good luck with.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #45

So...back to the task at hand. I have an idea that MM's travel trailer presents some unusual statistics; (good ones).

The dry weight of 5,790 lbs is what Northwood calls a "full featured" dry weight, one that is much closer to reality than a lot of brands. The Snow River also has the individually weighed sticker at the point of shipment. (btw, if you want to post pictures without a 3rd party hosting, just size your picture to 640 x 480 or less, click the attachment paper clip on your post, upload your picture, then insert/attach it to your post).

If we add the typical 1,500 lbs of weight for camping then we are at 7,290. Since MM plans to full time, lets through another 500 lbs and then round up to 7,800 for planning purposes. (Yes, by all means get it weighed...)

My point is this, when is the last time you saw a travel trailer with a 4,210 LB cargo capacity? I think the only reason her trailer has the 10K GVWR is due to the fact it rides on one of Northwood's heavy duty frames, just like what they put under the Arctic Fox for example. Her dry weight of 5,790 Lbs should be pretty close to reality unlike other brands. She could pull it with the correctly featured 1500 series, but certainly should choose the 2500 for all the right reasons.

I spoke with Northwood, regarding the Snow River, and they are a small part of the overall production, with different floor plans, and interior/exterior designs and colors, for a particular market segment, built to be a little lighter weight, but still incorporate all the quality of Northwood. I think the Snow River, is a great buy in the used market, since they aren't the hottest item, and offer all the great construction features of Northwood.

http://northwoodmfg.com/wp-content/u...ow-River-6.pdf
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalMama View Post
I guess I should weigh my trailer once it is full (it is getting there!) I already have full water and propane (but empty gray/black but I doubt I'd tow it with THEM full- right?)

I can not imagine how I own 4,000 lbs of "stuff"!! it's got to be less...so where can I go to weigh it or what do I Google?

Peace, MM and BnB
Agree cat scales are great but being a trucker just go to a closed State scale. Weigh stations usually leave their scales on and weights can be read by peering thru window, I'm just a cheapskate I guess, most truckers do this to check weights when they can.
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
As you stated above. Please provide the comparisons of the big three truck makers 3/4 ton payload capacities. Do it for the Ram Laramie 2500, Ford Lariat 250 and Chevy LTZ 2500.

If you mean lower payloads for the Ram and the difference is less than 200 lbs then who cares. Especially for Mystical Mama's needs this conversation is pointless.

To your other point earlier, i am pushing the Ram product because i drive nearly exactly what will tower here trailer easily and safely. WIll the Chevy and Ford 3/4 tons do it too? Absolutely, but there is no doubt that you get more bang for your buck with buying a Ram over Ford or Chevy. Shoot, feel free to post up some good truck in the Ford or Chevy flavor for MM to follow up on. I'm going to recommend what I'm familiar with and have had good luck with.
Goodness, so many sensitive Ram owners in this thread, don't take it personal. Trucks are just another product on the market for sale, not a life choice.

It is well known about lower payloads on Ram. I'm not going to spend time looking that up for comparisons. If it bothers you, feel free to spend your time on it?

Point is for MM, don't just take some online's person's info about pushing a specific brand, make sure and drive all the trucks to know what is good for MM. Subjective info like best bang for the buck is just another opinion, not a fact. Some like the ride better on the Ram versus the others. Some hate the seats on a Ram but love the seats on the GM. Sitting position? Some like the Ford towing mirrors and dislike the Ram towing mirrors. Lots and lots of subjective things to see for oneself to know what they like or dislike.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #48

If you really want a great deal go to Carmax.com. You can look all over the website for the perfect truck. Then can have it shipped right to you. They are the best used car dealership in the country.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #49

2014 Blackout Package Ram 2500

Hey MM, possible winner in Arizona (again)... so game on!

This ad does not properly describe the truck! It exceeds every item on your list, and also has the blackout group you like. Ram 2500 6.4L Crew, 4WD, Blackout, Big Horn, Luxury Group, etc. maybe a little higher miles, but a Carfax one-owner from this dealer, lots of records, price is right.

Dealer ad:
https://www.larrymillerdodge.net/use...96536f3ef4.htm

Original Window Sticker:
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windo...UR5DJ3EG271961

And last but not least, the build sheet:
https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfser...UR5DJ3EG271961

Old 07-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #50

We bought the Tundra with a V8. At the time we were towing a 69 Airstream (fully loaded almost 8000 pounds). We averaged 12mpg and no loss of power at anytime. I don't baby my vehicle when I drive and i get close to 17 mpg not towing. We got close to 21 on a road trip from Phoenix to LA.

FYI we got the crewmax because we take our dogs. It's a great can plenty of room for adults in the back.

Good luck
redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #51

Normal; Can't find where truck has tow pkg, extra cooling, hitch?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #52

This from the build sheet:
7 Pin Wiring Harness
Class V Receiver Hitch
Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring
Transmission Oil Cooler
Trailer Brake Control

This truck should be good to go.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #53

So I've taken time to study the two black trucks, the one you missed vs. this new one.

In short, they are nearly identical twins, so if you liked the Black Appearance group truck that went to Colorado, then this one should be a shoe-in.

"Colorado" truck had cloth bucket seats as a "plus". $ 250 option

Current truck has the following items as "pluses":
-220 amp alternator upgrade (stock is 180 amp) $ 100 option
-Power heated trailer tow mirrors w/puddle and signal lamps $ 180 option
-Center high mount stop lamp with cargo view camera system $ 325 option
(Front seat is 20/40/20 split bench).

Outside of the above items, they are equipped exactly the same. Funny the window sticker doesn't mention air conditioning like the other truck, but don't worry, its there, take time to read through the build sheet, what a nicely optioned truck for the price, about 18K miles per year, so that's about normal, and may create a little negotiation, but don't snooze on this one if you really "loved" the other one. Even the vin numbers are only 12,798 apart sequential between the two.

3.73 anti-spin yields 19,500 GCWR and 12,510 max trailer rating. BTW payload on this truck is 3,180 lbs.
https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...wing.Specs.pdf

Also forgot to post this addition to Cruzbill's question above, more from the build sheet:
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling

Also folks don't misunderstand, anything Ford or GM builds like these examples would be fine by me, but MM drove and really liked the Ram, and I'm more familiar with them so, I'm working to support her initial "likes" with accurate and reliable information, so she can make an informed decision, and I've had a hard time finding equally optioned trucks in other brands, for similar price ranges that meet her list of "must haves."
Old 07-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #54

Quote:

Quote:
Goodness, so many sensitive Ram owners in this thread, don't take it personal. Trucks are just another product on the market for sale, not a life choice.

It is well known about lower payloads on Ram. I'm not going to spend time looking that up for comparisons. If it bothers you, feel free to spend your time on it?

Point is for MM, don't just take some online's person's info about pushing a specific brand, make sure and drive all the trucks to know what is good for MM. Subjective info like best bang for the buck is just another opinion, not a fact. Some like the ride better on the Ram versus the others. Some hate the seats on a Ram but love the seats on the GM. Sitting position? Some like the Ford towing mirrors and dislike the Ram towing mirrors. Lots and lots of subjective things to see for oneself to know what they like or dislike.
Well, you keep bring up the "Ram has a lower payload" theme so apparently it does bother you. Enjoy your evening
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #55

LOL...weight threads about payloads are always a hoot on rv websites.
Questions from a new entrant about a trucks actual/safe/legal payload on haulers forums and the discussion revolves around the trucks GAWRs and RAWR in particular.

Some 3/4 and one ton srw trucks have high gvwr like 12300 lbs for a 3500 srw Ram. One owners reported a 4140 lb yellow sticker payload on his 3500 srw which overloaded his trucks 7000 rawr.

Or a owner with a new '16 2500 GM 6.0 engine with a 3640 lb yellow payload sticker. GM 2500 trucks (diesel and gas and same selections) have a 6200 rawr and both weigh about the same (3000 lbs) on the rear axle. This leaves 3200 lbs before exceeding rawr. His truck rawr would have been 400+ lb overload if he had bit into using all the yellow tire placard payload in the bed.

This is a much discussed problem for may of the online rv weight calculators as they over ride rawr numbers in favor of a gvwr number.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:42 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
LOL...weight threads about payloads are always a hoot on rv websites.
Questions from a new entrant about a trucks actual/safe/legal payload on haulers forums and the discussion revolves around the trucks GAWRs and RAWR in particular.

Some 3/4 and one ton srw trucks have high gvwr like 12300 lbs for a 3500 srw Ram. One owners reported a 4140 lb yellow sticker payload on his 3500 srw which overloaded his trucks 7000 rawr.

Or a owner with a new '16 2500 GM 6.0 engine with a 3640 lb yellow payload sticker. GM 2500 trucks (diesel and gas and same selections) have a 6200 rawr and both weigh about the same (3000 lbs) on the rear axle. This leaves 3200 lbs before exceeding rawr. His truck rawr would have been 400+ lb overload if he had bit into using all the yellow tire placard payload in the bed.

This is a much discussed problem for may of the online rv weight calculators as they over ride rawr numbers in favor of a gvwr number.
My 2016 Chevy duramax 2500 4x4 crew cab short bed will not take anywhere near 3000# payload. That is unless you overload it like most folks do.

Chad
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160911_141136.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	168681
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer