Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #99

If you're fine not going over 60 mph towing, then I'd buy a Ram Ecodiesel with the 3.92 gears in a heartbeat. 9,000 lbs towing capacity, 24-28 mpg unloaded on the hwy, and can easily tow 7,000 lbs at 60 mph.

If gas goes back up to $5 a gallon, that 28 mpg hwy rating on the Ram is going to be a huge $-saver. Even at $2 a gallon, it's a lot of money back in your pocket if you drive a lot.

The 6.4L hemi and Cummins will do you well. But if you really don't care about towing fast, then the Ecodiesel will do everything those other two will do and it'll do it with a lot less fuel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
If you're fine not going over 60 mph towing, then I'd buy a Ram Ecodiesel with the 3.92 gears in a heartbeat. 9,000 lbs towing capacity, 24-28 mpg unloaded on the hwy, and can easily tow 7,000 lbs at 60 mph.

If gas goes back up to $5 a gallon, that 28 mpg hwy rating on the Ram is going to be a huge $-saver. Even at $2 a gallon, it's a lot of money back in your pocket if you drive a lot.

The 6.4L hemi and Cummins will do you well. But if you really don't care about towing fast, then the Ecodiesel will do everything those other two will do and it'll do it with a lot less fuel.
No doubt the Ecodiesel is a good ride and great mileage, but the tow rating can drop to only around 7500 lbs, depending on the body style, drive line, and other variables. Not too sure that RAM envisioned this as a true towing platform, more of a mileage-getting truck. If she stays light it might work though.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
No doubt the Ecodiesel is a good ride and great mileage, but the tow rating can drop to only around 7500 lbs, depending on the body style, drive line, and other variables. Not too sure that RAM envisioned this as a true towing platform, more of a mileage-getting truck. If she stays light it might work though.
That's why I mentioned the 3.92. As long as she gets something other than a Laramie or Big Horn (or replaces the front grill if she gets one of those two), it's rated for 9k lbs.

Towed my TT home from the lake this weekend in 95 degree heat at 70 mph and it was fairly windy on Sunday. No problem at all. It's not going to compete with a 3/4 ton. But if she's at 6k-7k loaded down and gets the 3.92 gears and isn't concerned about towing fast, it will work just fine for her and get great mpg in the process.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:02 PM   #102

Wow! These mileage claims are great. I've never met anyone with a 6.2 Chevy that gets 20 plus on the highway. They get worse mileage than the Ford 6.2. The 6.7 Ram would need to be going down a long hill to achieve those figures. Fast lane trucks has the figures if interested.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
But if she's at 6k-7k loaded down and gets the 3.92 gears and isn't concerned about towing fast, it will work just fine for her and get great mpg in the process.
I absolutely have to weigh my TT at some point. When Joe hooked it up yesterday to haul to my new temporary spot, he mentioned that it "squatted" his 1.5 ton super-duty rancher truck (it has 4 rear wheels?) so that makes me think it is really heavy!

The max is 10,000 lbs and I wonder if I am close to that? Since I am living in it and not recreating, I have all glass and pottery, plants, stocked fridge and pantry etc

If and when I actually tow this, I imagine I will keep most of my stuff as it is so want to plan for that. if I end up lightening my load down the line, I can always reconsider down-sizing my truck.

In some ways, since I may stay in one place for up to a year before I travel...maybe I should stop looking for a truck and focus on other things like just living in a trailer FT. The adjustment is awkward for me...not bad or hard but def. awkward. I need muscle memory built up!
Old 07-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #104

09 Harley. My buddy at work bought a 3/4 ton Chevy and I ask him what kind of mileage you get. He said around 15. That's why I bought a 1/2 ton because I like the 22 mph going back and forth to work. My father in law has a dodge dually with 6.7 diesel and he gets around 15 mph. But he loves it and it can haul whatever he wants. To each their own.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:00 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcboy View Post
09 Harley. My buddy at work bought a 3/4 ton Chevy and I ask him what kind of mileage you get. He said around 15. That's why I bought a 1/2 ton because I like the 22 mph going back and forth to work. My father in law has a dodge dually with 6.7 diesel and he gets around 15 mph. But he loves it and it can haul whatever he wants. To each their own.
100% agree with this statement- first of all- if it's a daily driver, you need to know, what you are willing to take- I love the 22mpg driving to work every day. And we knew we are limited on the trailer- but we also found out, there are nowadays so many options out there, the floor plans are getting more and more innovative and there are today gimmicks in the lower price range (yes- not everybody can afford a $100K Airstream) which was years ago only an option in the luxury class. the campers are lightweight and a today 35' camper weights the same than a 10 year old 25footer.
If I wanted a HD truck, I would have one.
guy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalMama View Post
I absolutely have to weigh my TT at some point. When Joe hooked it up yesterday to haul to my new temporary spot, he mentioned that it "squatted" his 1.5 ton super-duty rancher truck (it has 4 rear wheels?) so that makes me think it is really heavy!

The max is 10,000 lbs and I wonder if I am close to that? Since I am living in it and not recreating, I have all glass and pottery, plants, stocked fridge and pantry etc

If and when I actually tow this, I imagine I will keep most of my stuff as it is so want to plan for that. if I end up lightening my load down the line, I can always reconsider down-sizing my truck.

In some ways, since I may stay in one place for up to a year before I travel...maybe I should stop looking for a truck and focus on other things like just living in a trailer FT. The adjustment is awkward for me...not bad or hard but def. awkward. I need muscle memory built up!

I'm thinking you should be getting a truck as soon as you can. Me personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable having to depend on another person to move my trailer around from place to place. They may not always be available when i want/have to move and id want the ability to wake up one morning and move to a new/better spot or just hit the road.

It would be good for you and your truck towing education to tow your trailer yourself around to your various locations rather than relying on someone else to do it. when you want to move to the next RV park 5 miles away you take the long 20 mile route to get there to gain experience for the day you travel the country to see the sights.

Also, you have been given some goo advice lately and some have (Normal Dave) posted some real nice truck that would fit your needs are are within budget. If you wait until next year to get a truck this advice and free truck searches may not be available down the road. Just my thoughts.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer