Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Jshopes81 - don't bash the Honda Ridgeline as it had a reinforced unibody and a cargo capacity of 1,470 lbs. That is as much as some 1/2 ton trucks.

It was better than most SUV's and had a super nifty tailgate and truck under the bed. All in all a great city truck of you needed mulch.
Im not bashing it, its based on the honda pilot or something. Its pretty much a crossover pickup like the crossover suvs. I cant help what it is.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
dave, I don't argue the powertrain would tow more, but the size vehicle and other factors tell me that 7200 (diesel or hemi 4x4) is a lot of weight behind something of that size. I would definitely demand the factory towing pkg and really be looking for the air suspension. Yeah, I think the 4runner is the better platform for towing, but I wish they would upgrade the powertrain. A 5speed auto is getting a little outdated. That's actually one of the issues I have with the 4 runner. The EcoDiesel has good torque, but really lacks hp. I know that just how smaller diesels are. I have seen a drag race test between a wrangler with the pentastar v6 and a 4runner and the 4runner won. I am found of the diesel torque idea paired with the fuel economy, but the towing test I have seen don't thrill me with the EcoDiesel.

cecil, I would have thought that platform would handle that weight ok, with the proper hitch and brakes all set up correctly.

rthario, Getting a larger popup for the ecodiesel could be an option for me as well. The ZF used in the eco and hemi are the German built ones and have a great reputation. I would demand the factory tow pkg and really would like to have the air suspension.

birchy, I have aunt and uncle with several hemi powered vehicles and they love them, I have never been a huge hemi fan personally. I know the first years of the newer GCs were way more problems than the newer ones. I think the 15+ are suppose to be better.

We have had several Jeeps in the past and really loved all of them. Mom had a New 95 GC, I had a used 98 GC, and sister had a used 07 GC (best riding and driving but v6 was a turd for power). I am also fond of the Toyota as well. Sister currently has a 16 Rav4, and Mom has had 4 Lexus. 08 GX470, 11CT, 16NX and now 18NX. Me and Dad have had a verity of Ford trucks.
Flagstaff206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #17

Recently camped across from a Grand Cherokee diesel towing a Micro Lite tandem with a single slide on a recent camping trip. Watched him hookup and leave, WD hitch, seemed like a perfect match. German accent, very much the engineer type, gave me the impression he had done his homework on the rig and setup.

Somewhat related, I just switched my tow rig from the tried and true V8 to my full size Montero V6, and think it is a significant improvement overall. If you are a gear-head like me, and the numbers interest you, read my write-up here: (saves me from re-typing everything).
https://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ontero.198636/
Now my trailer is not heavy, but the Montero is similar to the V6 4Runner, and wind drag is the big issue for most of us.

Small trailers? My current favorite is this new Sol, about to be launched, from IntechRV, all-aluminum, azdel inside, etc.
https://www.facebook.com/inTechRV/po...3?__tn__=-UC-R

At the end of the day, are we towing for bragging rights to win the race to the top of the hill, or are we enjoying the ride, and destination, utilizing a safe setup, and driving within the limits of the rig and trailer? For all that it costs for bragging rights, I could slow down a bit, and afford to camp more frequently, at a lot more locations.

Edit: I copied this pic out of my Expo thread, my scratch pad, for me the gearing won the day, and the better power to weight ratio of the Montero overcame the loss of engine torque. Being able to change gears and keep the rpms in the torque curve made all the difference. Also updated, on the trip home I only climbed one mountain pass, tried not to set speed records, and when I fueled up, I was pleased to record just over 12MPG towing. That's about 3 mpg better than the best on the van when towing.

Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Recently camped across from a Grand Cherokee diesel towing a Micro Lite tandem with a single slide on a recent camping trip. Watched him hookup and leave, WD hitch, seemed like a perfect match. German accent, very much the engineer type, gave me the impression he had done his homework on the rig and setup.

Somewhat related, I just switched my tow rig from the tried and true V8 to my full size Montero V6, and think it is a significant improvement overall. If you are a gear-head like me, and the numbers interest you, read my write-up here: (saves me from re-typing everything).
https://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ontero.198636/
Now my trailer is not heavy, but the Montero is similar to the V6 4Runner, and wind drag is the big issue for most of us.

Small trailers? My current favorite is this new Sol, about to be launched, from IntechRV, all-aluminum, azdel inside, etc.
https://www.facebook.com/inTechRV/po...3?__tn__=-UC-R

At the end of the day, are we towing for bragging rights to win the race to the top of the hill, or are we enjoying the ride, and destination, utilizing a safe setup, and driving within the limits of the rig and trailer? For all that it costs for bragging rights, I could slow down a bit, and afford to camp more frequently, at a lot more locations.

Edit: I copied this pic out of my Expo thread, my scratch pad, for me the gearing won the day, and the better power to weight ratio of the Montero overcame the loss of engine torque. Being able to change gears and keep the rpms in the torque curve made all the difference. Also updated, on the trip home I only climbed one mountain pass, tried not to set speed records, and when I fueled up, I was pleased to record just over 12MPG towing. That's about 3 mpg better than the best on the van when towing.

Thanks, That's good info. I reckon when the time come I need to go test driving. I agree that the gearing makes sooo much difference.

I am a huge intech fan. I am interested in seeing the Sol when they arrive locally. I am thinking they will be about 30k, which is a chunk for something that size.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Normal_Dave, Did you happen to notice what style WD hitch the guy with the GC was using. I have always used the chain style in the past. Never been a fan of the sway control style but I have been towing with 1/2 ton or larger trucks. With the GC, 4runner or similar, I think sway control might be a little more necessary than what I am use to.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #20

No I didn't pay that close of attention. I'm a fan of the "real" Equalizer brand with the right weight settings.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks Dave, Yeah the Equalizer brand seems to be the most popular sway control WD hitch among locals and the local dealers I have talked to. I also looked at the Husky brand version a few years back and thought they looked to be a good unit for the price. The biggest issue I have is people using improperly sized and SET UP hitches. You see people towing all the time, dragging the bumper due to improperly set up and used hitches. And some of the dealers don't know what they are doing as well. I will set mine up strictly per manufacturers specs and most manufacturers have videos as well.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #22

Hi Flagstaff206; I do agree with the quality of the Toyota over the Jeep GC. I own 2 jeep Wrangles and believe they have better quality. I have owned 2 GC in the past and was some of the worst quality I have run into since I had problematic GM vehicles of the mid 80's. You mentioned the Lexus GX 470. Also now the 460. To this day the quality rating from consumer reports is still high. Body on frame, V8 engine for towing. I don't have the towing specs. for either, but I would bet they run higher that the Four Runner V6. My wife bought a 2003 Lexus GX 470 in December of 02 when they first came out. Still have that rig today and my wife still loves it. We do not tow with it. I tow the Wranglers behind my DP. Also it has been discussed here in this forum that the GX before 2010 makes a great dingy for being pulled behind a motorhome. Before I would buy a newer Four Runner with a V6, I would check out a used GX. I have heard with proper maintenance, you can get up to the 300K to 400K on the odometer with that 4.7 V8. Just my thoughts on your post.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #23

In sequence, I've towed a 4200 lb boat trailer (two axle) with two different 4Runners, a Highlander (with factory tow kit), a diesel Grand Cherokee, and now a V6 gas Grand Cherokee.

The 4Runners (5k tow rating) ride very stiff and twitchy (still - I tried one recently before I got the current GC), and towing was rather white knuckly at highway speeds from sway potential, even though the tongue weight was in range or higher. The Highlander was much softer riding (5k tow rating with factory package), but quick steering and white knuckle at high speeds.

The GC's tow very nicely, rated 7200 lb (4x4 diesel) and 6200 lb (4x4 gas). No white knuckles. I use the lowest power steering assist setting to reduce the tendency to overcorrect. The diesel would just go, up hill on cruise control at 65 mph, with a bit of coolant and oil temp rise, but never overheating. I could have, of course, simply shifted (paddles on the diesel) and/or dropped speed a little on long uphill runs.

The gas version has a tentative gas pedal feel, unlike the diesel which felt very conventional. It is almost like driving a prius, where you push the accelerator and the 'system' decides what to do, rather than the diesel which feels like the engine is under direct control and the tranny shifts as required.

They also have self-leveling shocks, which pump themselves up as you drive with a tongue load, and vent off when it's removed. No headlights into oncoming windshields. Not as fancy as pneumatic suspension, but it works. 7-pin RV plug is nice, as I wired the reverse lock-out for the surge brakes and a backup light on the trailer. I think the 4Runner uses the RV style now, but it didn't when I owned them.

The ecodiesel is a little louder than the gas, but at highway speeds I couldn't hear it anyway, and the V6 screams at higher revs pulling the trailer up hill. with the diesel I got 32 mpg on a round trip from upstate NY to NC and back, but usually averaged a little over 30 on shorter trips, like 300 miles each way. I got 19.5 mpg average with the boat on several trip into Canada and the east coast. I think I got about 14 mpg with the boat on the current V6 GC, and around 24 or so mpg highway with no trailer. The 24 gallon fuel tank allows long distance between fill ups. I once drove to NYC and back , about 675 miles) on one tank with the diesel (not smart - showed 9 mile range remaining as I pulled into the garage). But 24 gallons capacity on a fuel sipper is nice, especially in areas where you're not sure where the next fill up will be.

I only got the gas because diesel sales were suspended after VW pulled their shenanigans, but they're back on the market, so I may look into early lease termination so I can go back to diesel. VM Motori has been making these engines for a long time, and they seem to be pretty reliable.

Oh, and I kept a supply of blue Harbor Freight rubber gloves in the console for the pump handle, which traditionally is cover in a thin film of diesel fuel. When I drove for a living I didn't care, but now I do.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Flagstaff206; I do agree with the quality of the Toyota over the Jeep GC. I own 2 jeep Wrangles and believe they have better quality. I have owned 2 GC in the past and was some of the worst quality I have run into since I had problematic GM vehicles of the mid 80's. You mentioned the Lexus GX 470. Also now the 460. To this day the quality rating from consumer reports is still high. Body on frame, V8 engine for towing. I don't have the towing specs. for either, but I would bet they run higher that the Four Runner V6. My wife bought a 2003 Lexus GX 470 in December of 02 when they first came out. Still have that rig today and my wife still loves it. We do not tow with it. I tow the Wranglers behind my DP. Also it has been discussed here in this forum that the GX before 2010 makes a great dingy for being pulled behind a motorhome. Before I would buy a newer Four Runner with a V6, I would check out a used GX. I have heard with proper maintenance, you can get up to the 300K to 400K on the odometer with that 4.7 V8. Just my thoughts on your post.
Yeah, I have heard very few people have issues with the newer wranglers but seem like I have read a lot of horror stories with the GCs. They have a huge following though. I love the new GX460 and a new one starts in the high 50s, but a used one is very much in my thoughts as well. I haven't had a newer one but supposedly the newer 460s are even much better than the older 460s or 470s. I love the 470 that we had. They are rated for 6500 lbs. towing. 301hp 329tq with a 6 speed auto and 3.72 rear end. I knew a guy that had a late 90s LX with the 4.7 that had over 400k miles Thanks for your input.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
In sequence, I've towed a 4200 lb boat trailer (two axle) with two different 4Runners, a Highlander (with factory tow kit), a diesel Grand Cherokee, and now a V6 gas Grand Cherokee.

The 4Runners (5k tow rating) ride very stiff and twitchy (still - I tried one recently before I got the current GC), and towing was rather white knuckly at highway speeds from sway potential, even though the tongue weight was in range or higher. The Highlander was much softer riding (5k tow rating with factory package), but quick steering and white knuckle at high speeds.

The GC's tow very nicely, rated 7200 lb (4x4 diesel) and 6200 lb (4x4 gas). No white knuckles. I use the lowest power steering assist setting to reduce the tendency to overcorrect. The diesel would just go, up hill on cruise control at 65 mph, with a bit of coolant and oil temp rise, but never overheating. I could have, of course, simply shifted (paddles on the diesel) and/or dropped speed a little on long uphill runs.

The gas version has a tentative gas pedal feel, unlike the diesel which felt very conventional. It is almost like driving a prius, where you push the accelerator and the 'system' decides what to do, rather than the diesel which feels like the engine is under direct control and the tranny shifts as required.

They also have self-leveling shocks, which pump themselves up as you drive with a tongue load, and vent off when it's removed. No headlights into oncoming windshields. Not as fancy as pneumatic suspension, but it works. 7-pin RV plug is nice, as I wired the reverse lock-out for the surge brakes and a backup light on the trailer. I think the 4Runner uses the RV style now, but it didn't when I owned them.

The ecodiesel is a little louder than the gas, but at highway speeds I couldn't hear it anyway, and the V6 screams at higher revs pulling the trailer up hill. with the diesel I got 32 mpg on a round trip from upstate NY to NC and back, but usually averaged a little over 30 on shorter trips, like 300 miles each way. I got 19.5 mpg average with the boat on several trip into Canada and the east coast. I think I got about 14 mpg with the boat on the current V6 GC, and around 24 or so mpg highway with no trailer. The 24 gallon fuel tank allows long distance between fill ups. I once drove to NYC and back , about 675 miles) on one tank with the diesel (not smart - showed 9 mile range remaining as I pulled into the garage). But 24 gallons capacity on a fuel sipper is nice, especially in areas where you're not sure where the next fill up will be.

I only got the gas because diesel sales were suspended after VW pulled their shenanigans, but they're back on the market, so I may look into early lease termination so I can go back to diesel. VM Motori has been making these engines for a long time, and they seem to be pretty reliable.

Oh, and I kept a supply of blue Harbor Freight rubber gloves in the console for the pump handle, which traditionally is cover in a thin film of diesel fuel. When I drove for a living I didn't care, but now I do.
Several people have commented on the 4runner having a harsh ride when towing. That does concern me. Not only the torque but the MPG and TOWING MPG is a big reason that I have interest in the EcoDiesel. I am not as much concern about the EcoDiesel and the ZF as I think they have worked most of the bugs out of those since 2015. But just the rest of the vehicle. I know there are a lot of very happy GC owners out there though, that haven't had any issues. The Pentastar v6 you have now is a highly regarded engine but for some reason just doesn't excite me.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #26

The Lexus GX 460 sure would have the power with its V8. But it is still a short wheelbase like the 4 Runner and payload capacity is suspect. Also, its V8 has TERRIBLE gas mileage even when solo. Just something to think about.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #27

Also take a look at the GMC Acadia. Strong V6 engine and high payload capacity. The Denali is especially nice and should be much more reliable than the JGC.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:26 AM   #28

I have never towed with a 4 runner but in last 7 years have owned a 2003 and 2010 4 runner sr5. Both were really nice. 6 months ago I moved up to a 2010 Seqouia Platinum which I now prefer.