Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #43

I can easily agree that the GM trucks are worth a look. In 2020 they have a new reenforced frame that is more rock solid than ever. They also added a lot of muscle to compete with Ford and Ram and in some cases exceed them. I think they exceed them in payload.

I test drove the 2020 2500HD with the new 6.6 litre gas engine 6 speed and was impressed with the smoothness.

Ford will have a 10 speed with the 7.3 litre gas engine. I also test drove this truck and it was also ultra smooth.

I did not give these trucks a good test drive by driving it like I stole it. I really wanted to see how smooth I could drive them. Again both very smooth.

I also test drove a F-250 with the 6.7 1,050ft lbs of torque diesel engine. This truck was both ultra powerful and ultra smooth. I drove this truck a little harder and making a turn it was easy to break a back tire loose. Like trying to get thru an intersection making a turn.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #44

Why not go with F450 in place of f350, much better turning radius.
Norim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #45

I didn't read every post about your concern of the truck weight limits. However I do know that if you go the DRW F-350 you're much better off spending the extra $1500 for the DRW F-450. I don't want to take up all the space here but if you go to YouTube and Search "Big Truck Big RV" this guys has tested them all and he'll give you all the reasons for getting an F-450 dually. I was very impressed with his testing and the results. One major factor was turning ability of the F-450 over the F350, the 450 was way tighter, really nice when towing. Not to mention the added stopping ability etc.
Bobthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthegod View Post
I didn't read every post about your concern of the truck weight limits. However I do know that if you go the DRW F-350 you're much better off spending the extra $1500 for the DRW F-450. I don't want to take up all the space here but if you go to YouTube and Search "Big Truck Big RV" this guys has tested them all and he'll give you all the reasons for getting an F-450 dually. I was very impressed with his testing and the results. One major factor was turning ability of the F-450 over the F350, the 450 was way tighter, really nice when towing. Not to mention the added stopping ability etc.
You couldnt pay me to watch a btbrv video. The guys a clown. There are way better channels on youtube. I do like how btbrv comments are alot of him getting roasted.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #47

I was the guy that bought a F350 SRW after looking at the “written” numbers. I also had the attitude that my F350 was good for all. Worked OK with my 1st 5’er and was my DD When I upgraded, the 2nd 5’er was too heavy and towing gave us a scare. I went with a F550 with a Fontaine body. We went over the scales with our “stuff”, full fuel, wife, I, and dog at 27,000 pounds and never felt strained.
Buy the heaviest truck you can afford. We traded our 350 for the 550 while on the road after the scare.
We were very happy to have the 550 and always felt safe, no more scares. I also drove the 550 as a Daily. Basically the same as any other DRW Crew Cab. Fuel was only slightly less than my 350. I would still have the 550 if it had been 4wd.

So, get the camper package any anything else that adds to,the gvw
jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #48

Good Sam, Good Sam and Gander put a sales publication early in January that has a 2021TOW RATINGS for numerous types and models of trucks. The publication has a Label “RV America for less”. This night be helpful in making your choice in town vehicle.
nhchief518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgedog View Post
Ordering a 2021 F350 to serve as my all in one vehicle (daily driver, tow vehicle, hauler for wood etc). I currently have a travel trailer, but want a vehicle that will migrate to a 5th wheel or at times a slide in camper for simpler trips.

I can't tell if I need the 10,000 GVWR package or the Camper Package for my all in one retirement truck. Advice?
Good afternoon sir. I just ordered a 2021 F350 last week. My next travel trailer is only 9.9k gvwr, but I wanted the ability to tow heavier. Also, I never wanted to count pounds when loading up the bed. I got the 7.3l. The dealer originally did not include the 4.30 gears, as I requested. I concurrently told them according to the 2021 Ford Towing Guide that the highest payload was 11900lbs. When he went back to correct the order and added 4.30, the updated 11900gvwr automatically showed up. Your dealer should show you a "build" sheet to have you review for correctness. That 11900gvwr capability was annotated on my build sheet, the same as you were opting for other options.

Good luck. Can't wait to hear about how your ordering goes.

2021 F350 XLT Crew cab, Long Box. 7.3l engine with 4.30 gears
campingalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I wouldnt bank on being able to work on a new gas motor much better than any of the new diesels. None are exactly user friendly.
Agree. Rather a naïve statement. Engine simplicity left with carburetors.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:22 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgedog View Post
Ordering a 2021 F350 to serve as my all in one vehicle (daily driver, tow vehicle, hauler for wood etc). I currently have a travel trailer, but want a vehicle that will migrate to a 5th wheel or at times a slide in camper for simpler trips.
I can't tell if I need the 10,000 GVWR package or the Camper Package for my all in one retirement truck. Advice?
2021 F-350 as a "daily driver"? That has to set you back close to $100 grand. If that is so buy/order the best, top of the line of everything. Don't fret about which "package". Buy the most. Or are you just crowing "look at me , I am rich, look at what I can buy"?
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:31 PM   #52

I am not sure what you need to work on with a 2020 gas motor. At least not until 8 to 10 years. Change oil, plugs and pcv valve plus windshield wipers and battery. I think that is it.

I do expect a sensor or two to malfunction. Something that you unplug and plug in the new sensor, if you can figure what sensor you need.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
2021 F-350 as a "daily driver"? That has to set you back close to $100 grand.

$61K. I have driven my current truck since 2003 and aggressively saved for the next one. Don't confuse frugal with rich. The same metric means I have to option it carefully to meet the budget.

As to repair, I have had no issue with modern engines and have diagnostic tools to help. As my mechanic says, they are actually simpler as the computer tells you what the issue is. I have replaced sensors (O2, knock, Crank position, fuel pressure), coils, plugs, wires, brakes, shocks, bearings, brake lines, rotors, fuel pump, water, belts, hoses, water pump and a variety of other items over the years. If you can get to it, it is generally user serviceable. My mechanic jokingly tells me I have the only '03 Silverado he knows of that doesn't have a check engine light on.

The Internet has been a boon to self repair as I can get exact parts for a fraction of what we paid long ago at the dealer. The only thing I don't touch is Air Conditioning and things inside the transmission!
blueridgedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Agree. Rather a naïve statement. Engine simplicity left with carburetors.
Bah, not really. Carbs were a PITA! Complicated,fussy and too many moving parts that all wear and become misadjusted over time. Fuel injection isn't complicated once you understand it. Some engine controls are getting overcomplicated for very, very little gain overall.

Cylinder cutout (displacement on demand, active fuel management etc.) is something that rarely gives much vs the complexity and lack of reliability. You might get the odd old man driving like he has an egg under the gas pedal squeezing out 2MPG with these systems, but that is a rare exception.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:42 AM   #55

I had something in my wifes fusion throw some code for the evap system. That was easy. The water pump that was just replaced....as soon as i found out tools were needed to maintain cam timing to change the water pump, it got sent to the shop.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:19 PM   #56

Well....going to get my new F350 SRW next week! Camper package, fifth wheel package and 11,400# GVWR package, with the big gasser. Will be a long drive home, but stoked!
blueridgedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper