Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Sorry Charlie, but you bought an SUV for hauling "flesh", not a tow vehicle. So no, you cannot tow a 5,000 pound trailer of any kind without being overloaded because your tow vehicle has a max towing capacity of 1,500 pounds.

Towing capacity of 1500 lbs. is the max trailer weight your Chevy can PULL, but assumes you do not exceed any other weight capacity of the SUV, including payload. Payload capacity available for trailer hitch weight is the common limiter as to how much trailer you can tow with most tow vehicles, but for your Traverse the limiter is probably the 1,500 pounds tow rating.

If you wanted to tow a 5,000 pound trailer without being overloaded, Chevy made a 2018 SUV that will do it. Tahoe with the 5.3L V8 engine has GVWR of 7,100 and tow rating of 6,600, or with the max trailering pkg, 8,600. The longer Suburban would also do it. But not a Traverse.

Here are the specs for the a shouda/woulda /coulda 2018 Tahoe.
https://www.chevrolet.com/previous-y...iveTypeOne=2WD
Did you just look at the specs on the website or did you actually go look at GM's published towing guide. I did, as did tderonne, and the towing guide says 5000lbs with towing package.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
Did you just look at the specs on the website or did you actually go look at GM's published towing guide. I did, as did tderonne, and the towing guide says 5000lbs with towing package.
And this matters how? Does the guide say the vehicle can be loaded to max GVWR and at the same tow the max weight? Look at the OP;

Quote:
If so that means my tow vehicle is already at 4200# plus 570# or 4770# leaving me with an allowable gear weight of 230# because my tow vehicle is the limiting factor here.
There is not room under GVWR for the TW of a 5000 lb trailer!
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
And this matters how? Does the guide say the vehicle can be loaded to max GVWR and at the same tow the max weight? Look at the OP;

There is not room under GVWR for the TW of a 5000 lb trailer!
Either the GVWR in the original post is incorrect, or his VWR is incorrect. The OP replied saying the yellow sticker shows "1498lbs"for the payload. How do you conclude that 1498lbs of payload is insufficient to cover 570lbs of people plus the tongue weight of a 5000lb trailer? Maybe I'm missing something, so please, show your math...
Old 02-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #18

1,498 lbs of people and cargo is just about sufficient to tow the 5,000lb travel trailer...but the wheel base is too short to control the trailer unless you buy the very very best WD and sway control hitch. These hitches help tie the tow vehicle and trailer together as one unit. This helps when semi trucks pass you on the highway.

At least try it and see.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Either the GVWR in the original post is incorrect, or his VWR is incorrect. The OP replied saying the yellow sticker shows "1498lbs"for the payload. How do you conclude that 1498lbs of payload is insufficient to cover 570lbs of people plus the tongue weight of a 5000lb trailer? Maybe I'm missing something, so please, show your math...
I don't think you are missing anything. However, the GVWR of the TT is 5,200 lbs which gives a potential tongue weight of 520 lbs. Still under the payload capacity of the TV.

However, while the Chevy is rated to tow 5,000 lbs, the GVWR of his TT is 5,200 lbs. OP may be able to keep the weight of the TT down to 5,000 lbs. As a rule of thumb for a TT, you should not exceed 80% of the TV maximum towing capacity. 80% of 5,000 lbs is 4,000 lbs. Passing semi's or mild cross winds are likely to jerk the TT and TV all over the place. It will be a miserable driving experience.

For the OP, the reason for the 80% calculation is that a TT is different from a cargo trailer, boat trailer, etc. It's front height makes for a lot of wind resistance compared to other types of non-TT trailers. In addition, the high sides of the TT acts like a big huge sail that catches a lot of wind compared to non-TT trailers. It will be a white knuckle experience towing down the interstate. You didn't know this when you purchased your TT. But, you were wise enough to ask the experts on this forum. This has happened to a lot of RV newbies. The fix is to get an appropriate TV or get a lighter weight TT.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
1,498 lbs of people and cargo is just about sufficient to tow the 5,000lb travel trailer...but the wheel base is too short to control the trailer unless you buy the very very best WD and sway control hitch. These hitches help tie the tow vehicle and trailer together as one unit. This helps when semi trucks pass you on the highway.

At least try it and see.
I am planning on buying the sway brace. Yes.
Rktect23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBTripping View Post
I don't think you are missing anything. However, the GVWR of the TT is 5,200 lbs which gives a potential tongue weight of 520 lbs. Still under the payload capacity of the TV.

However, while the Chevy is rated to tow 5,000 lbs, the GVWR of his TT is 5,200 lbs. OP may be able to keep the weight of the TT down to 5,000 lbs. As a rule of thumb for a TT, you should not exceed 80% of the TV maximum towing capacity. 80% of 5,000 lbs is 4,000 lbs. Passing semi's or mild cross winds are likely to jerk the TT and TV all over the place. It will be a miserable driving experience.

For the OP, the reason for the 80% calculation is that a TT is different from a cargo trailer, boat trailer, etc. It's front height makes for a lot of wind resistance compared to other types of non-TT trailers. In addition, the high sides of the TT acts like a big huge sail that catches a lot of wind compared to non-TT trailers. It will be a white knuckle experience towing down the interstate. You didn't know this when you purchased your TT. But, you were wise enough to ask the experts on this forum. This has happened to a lot of RV newbies. The fix is to get an appropriate TV or get a lighter weight TT.
Fortunately I do have time. My first real trip is in July. I get the TT by end of March. I will then take it out for a drive to see what it is like. Then I will take it out for a overnighter about 100 miles away. Loaded up. At that point Aprilish I will make the decision on the Tahoe. Giving me all of May and June to break in that vehicle.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:53 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rktect23 View Post
But the 1500# you speak of is in error.
Maybe, but it's the "max" towing capacity from the Chevrolet website for a 2018 Traverse.
https://www.chevrolet.com/previous-y...iveTypeOne=FWD

The middle of the URL above doesn't sow on the sreen, but it includes

https:// [url] w w w. chevrolet. com/ previous-year/ traverse-mid-size-Suv/ ...capabilities/ ...Trailering/
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Maybe, but it's the "max" towing capacity from the Chevrolet website for a 2018 Traverse.
https://www.chevrolet.com/previous-y...iveTypeOne=FWD
I know. It freaked me out too so I called my Chevy dealer to make sure the traverse premier with the v92 tow package, and specifically the vehicle I bought from them, has a 5000# capacity.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #24

Quote:
I could probably just use the search function BUT......., that won't make me more a part of this community so I will just ask.

My TT has a GVWR of 5200# and my tow vehicle has a GVWR of 5000#. The dry weight of the TT is 4200#. I will be traveling with three other people. I am 190#, fiancé is 120#, son is 160# and my daughter is 100# That is 570# in flesh. Am I supposed to be including flesh weight into my calcs here? If so that means my tow vehicle is already at 4200# plus 570# or 4770# leaving me with an allowable gear weight of 230# because my tow vehicle is the limiting factor here.

Tell me that isn't so. PLEASE.

Or better yet, tell me I can pull 5000# in trailer on top of some more stuff in the tow vehicle. 2018 Chevy Traverse premier.
If I'm reading this right you are thinking that your tow vehicle's GVWR is it's tow capacity. That is not correct. GVWR refers to the maximum weight that can be supported by the axles of the vehicle, not how much it can tow.
If you load your trailer to it's maximum GVWR of 5,200 pounds you will likely have about 600 pounds of tongue weight. Add 100 pounds for the hitch and then 570 for the people in the TV and you will be using up 1,270 pounds of payload capacity. Since your payload number on your door sticker is greater than this you could pull this trailer with your vehicle and be withing "the numbers". Will you like the towing experience? Not likely. Will your vehicle's engine and transmission live a long and happy life? Probably not. Your vehicle will be operating at it's maximum towing this load and that will put a high stress on it particularly since it is basically a passenger type vehicle, not a heavy duty truck type vehicle.
Since you have the Travers already I'd give it a try to some near by campgrounds and see how it goes. I would be ready to upgrade to a larger vehicle.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #25

There is no way id use a traverse as a tow vehicle. Youll smoke it in short order. Theyre minivans, not traditional truck based suvs.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Fortunately I do have time. My first real trip is in July. I get the TT by end of March. I will then take it out for a drive to see what it is like. Then I will take it out for a overnighter about 100 miles away. Loaded up. At that point Aprilish I will make the decision on the Tahoe. Giving me all of May and June to break in that vehicle.
I think that's a good plan. You've given yourself plenty of time to figure out what will work. I'd guess your Chevy engine will be working hard to pull the load. Expect your gas mileage to take a steep drop. I hope your TT gives you and your family a lot of enjoyment.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:02 AM   #27

Quote:
I'm sorry, you are correct. My arithmetic and math are correct, but a I guess I started with the wrong numbers.
But, when they advertise a tow capacity, do they, like most, figure the weight of trailer plus weight of MT TV? If so, add 100 lbs to TV, the tow capacity goes down 100 lbs.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:21 AM   #28

Tow capacity really should not be used for travel trailers. The max tow capacity is fine with a flat bed trailer with bricks that are stacked over the axles. No doubt the Chevy SUV could tow a 5,000 lb. flat bed trailer with bricks. A trailer that would catch very little wind and put very little weight on the Chevy SUV.

But a travel trailer is a big box with large flat high sides and a front that is not areodynamic. Plus the large flat back . Plus the weight it puts on the tow vehicle.

When I think of a V6 engine towing I think no, unless it is Ford Eco-Boost engine. When I towed with the Honda Ridgeline I could feel it struggle when towing into a headwind. I could actually feel the lack of areodynamics on that trailer.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow