Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
There is no way id use a traverse as a tow vehicle. Youll smoke it in short order. Theyre minivans, not traditional truck based suvs.
Well, that becomes a win, lose, win scenario then. Its under warranty I won't overload the trailer past my vehicles GVWR of 5000# on my Yellowstone trip. If I smoke the engine or transmission on the trip, it will certainly put a damper on it but Chevy will have to repair the damage as it is Chevy who has stated this vehicle can take it.

Of Course, after they repair my vehicle I will have to trade up to the Tahoe.

Others here were asking what the GCWR was. The manual says 10,250#
Rktect23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #30

[QUOTE=tuffr2;4656988]Tow capacity really should not be used for travel trailers. The max tow capacity is fine with a flat bed trailer with bricks that are stacked over the axles. No doubt the Chevy SUV could tow a 5,000 lb. flat bed trailer with bricks. A trailer that would catch very little wind and put very little weight on the Chevy SUV.

There is no doubt that wind resistance matters more than weight, and there should be a frontal area specification for small vehicles. But weight does matter.

Quote:
When I think of a V6 engine towing I think no, unless it is Ford Eco-Boost engine. When I towed with the Honda Ridgeline I could feel it struggle when towing into a headwind. I could actually feel the lack of areodynamics on that trailer.
I hauled GVWR of 60,000-66,000 lbs for all of one summer with a V-6. Replaced it with V-8 because it cheaper to buy a 427 than overhaul the old GMC. But for light loads I don't understand why we no longer have I 6...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rktect23 View Post

Others here were asking what the GCWR was. The manual says 10,250#
10,250# is the maximum weight of everything (truck, trailer, stuff and people in truck, stuff in trailer, etc). And 10250# - 5200# trailer = 5050# for truck, people and stuff in truck. 5050# - 570# of people - 4300# of truck = 180#. You're going to be right at the limits of that Traverse...

Is it going to be safe? It seems to be within the limits of the Traverse. So provided you can keep from overloading the Traverse's rear axle AND can control the sway, then it'll probably be safe (watch that speed).

It is going to be an easy tow for that Traverse? No. It's going to be making lots of noise and getting hot and wearing out quickly and you're going to be in the slow lane with the trucks going up every hill. And on two lane roads, you're going to be holding up traffic. But you can probably tow it safely.

Notes:
1. Since we're talking GCVW, we don't need to subtract out the tongue weight as that's already included in the 5200lbs. We account for the tongue weight when doing the calcs for TV payload capacity. Trying to do it here just unnecessarily complicates the math...]
2. You might actually end up under the GVWR for the trailer once you're all packed. So you might end up a little better than we've calculated here...
Old 03-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #32

I see lots of methods of calculation. Lots of opinions and grossly differing recommendations. I can not clear that up, but can recommend a course of action.

Chev Trav comes in many styles and has been available for many years so there are many possible results. Some are rated for 1500# tow capacity. Some are rated for 5200# tow capacity. You will need the optional towing package. You may need to add additional components like weight distribution hitch (WDH) and trailer break controller, etc. You may need sway control on your WDH.

You will also need a tongue weight gage to monitor changing tongue weight. You will be so close to the limit, you will need to keep close track.

The way to know about your particular tow vehicle (TV) is to look at the stickers on the driver's door post. These are the numbers you want to find:
Gross vehicle weight maximum
Dry weight - Maximum cargo weight (GVW - Dry = Cargo)
Combined Gross weight maximum.
Front axle max weight
Rear axle max weight

Everything you put in or on the TV counts toward cargo including gasoline. This includes the tongue weight of the TT which must be 10 to 15 % of the TT weight. You may need to move things around in side the TT to achieve proper tongue weight. An over weight tongue is going to overload your TV rear axle.

However, it is the gross vehicle weight that matters most. In the end you will be so close to maximum. You will have to get the vehicle weighted when fully loaded and with the TT hooked up. Truck scales are everywhere you need to get your rig weighted.

Everything you put in the TT counts toward it's cargo weight. Again, it is the gross vehicle weight that matters the most. There should be a sticker on the outside of the TT with the gross weight maximum.

Truck scales will usually provide weight on each axle plus the overall combined gross weight. Drop the TT and weight the tow vehicle again. The tow vehicle has a rear axle maximum weight. Be sure to check that as well. Front axle weight must be higher with the TT hitched than without. Adjust the weight distribution hitch (WDH) until you do.

All the actual weights must be less than the specifications. The closer you get to the maximums, the more care and monitoring you must do. A sagging butt is bad. Adjust the WDH.

Drive slow!
Drive slow. Experiment with the speed anything above 55 is going to significantly increase the strain on the TV and increase the risk of a bad experience. Head winds count as higher speed. Bad weather from snow and ice to rain mean slow down now. Don't even consider pushing it because you are late or board with the slow progress. Heavy traffic means back off and let others pass and cut in front of you.
Don't even think about doing Interstate speed limits.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #33

Your Traverse is a people mover that is suitable to pull a utility trailer to Home Depot, or take your boat to the lake on the weekend. But a high walled, heavy tongued TT is a much different load.

On a good day with this setup, you will be underpowered, and unhappy with the ride and handling. On a bad day, with high winds, or lots of traffic, or rain, or crappy roads with lots of hills, you will have a miserable, white knuckle experience.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Your Traverse is a people mover that is suitable to pull a utility trailer to Home Depot, or take your boat to the lake on the weekend. But a high walled, heavy tongued TT is a much different load.

On a good day with this setup, you will be underpowered, and unhappy with the ride and handling. On a bad day, with high winds, or lots of traffic, or rain, or crappy roads with lots of hills, you will have a miserable, white knuckle experience.
This sums it up perfectly, without all the quibbling over math. It will assuredly be a miserable experience at best if your talking about Yellowstone.

For all those talking about 1,500 vs 5,000 tow capacity, per Chevy website... 2.0T with tow package is 1,500 and V6 with tow package is 5,000.
Hyperionguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow