Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Half-ton diesels are on the way

I ordered a new '99.5 F-250 with 7.3L diesel engine, and took delivery at the end of the '99 model year. Outstanding tow vehicle for my 8,000-pound 5er. I kept it and the 5er for 12 years. About 15 MPG unloaded at 73 MPH and 12 MPG when dragging the 5er at 62 MPH. I put 200,000 miles on the pickup, including about 100,000 miles towing over a 12-year period. I wanted to replace it with a half-ton diesel, but none were available.

Soon there will be. GM, Ram, Toyota and Nisson have all announced half-ton or even smaller diesels for the near future. Ford is still saying no.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...225D2600801F1X

That link is to an article in yesterday's Autonews online. I don't have a subscription, but I could read the article, so I hope you can too.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #2

Diesels have been the work horse for ever seems like... Now days they get great fuel mileage ! I used to hate the clatter banging noise of the first pickup diesels.. Haveing to shut them off at a drive through .. But now days, things are different. So quiet and smooth, even our newer 400-500 Cummins at work are very quiet.. Can't wait till I can get a pickup again...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

The strange thing is, Ford has been testing a small diesel for the F150 for a very long time. There has been rumors about it in 2004 and some talks about it. It may have been international based then. Im sure there is still something (likely Ford built) and hopefully there will be a option for it. Or, they may just see how the others prove in sales before spending the money on production. That may prove bad though if they wait to long and don't get into the market with the others.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

Years back Dodge , was toying with the 4 cly, version of the ISB, for 1/2 tons and the B vans. ( pre Sprinter days)
The story we heard in the shop was, that by the time the extra weight of the engine , and all the required chassis , driveline, suspension & frame upgrades were done. What you had was a 3/4 ton with a 4cly engine.
Slightly better economy , but no pulling power.
Are diesel 1/2 tons coming , probably, would I be the first in line to buy one. NO.
Like the diesel P/Us of the late 70's early 80's, they will be a marketing ploy, will they use an engine currently in production , probably not, too heavy. New engine in a new truck , new problems.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
The 3.0l turbodiesel in the 2014 Ram is rated 240 BHP/420 lb-ft torque and a 9,200 lb tow rating. It uses the same basic 8-speed TorqueFlite automatic (ZF) that's currently used behind the Pentastar V-6 and the Hemi.

For comparison, the standard (non-HO) Cummins 5.9L diesel fitted to the Ram 2500 and 3500 in the late 1990s and early 2000s was rated 235 BHP/460 lb-ft torque, so the smaller, lighter 3.0L V-6 turbodiesel isn't giving much away to the previous diesel powerplant in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks of a decade ago.

Not everyone needs the capabilities of a 385 BHP/850 lb-ft diesel with a 37,000 lb GCWR as found in the 2014 Ram 3500 dually, but I hope that the people that buy them understand the limitations of a 1/2 ton truck and understand that's what they're buying.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Years back Dodge , was toying with the 4 cly, version of the ISB, for 1/2 tons and the B vans. ( pre Sprinter days)
The story we heard in the shop was, that by the time the extra weight of the engine , and all the required chassis , driveline, suspension & frame upgrades were done. What you had was a 3/4 ton with a 4cly engine.
Slightly better economy , but no pulling power.
Are diesel 1/2 tons coming , probably, would I be the first in line to buy one. NO.
Like the diesel P/Us of the late 70's early 80's, they will be a marketing ploy, will they use an engine currently in production , probably not, too heavy. New engine in a new truck , new problems.
Well said... I'm in a "wait-and-see" mode, myself. However, Nissan seems to me that they are taking the best approach with the 5.0 liter diesel V-8. The smaller displacement engines might not have the power I would be looking for. Unfortunately, I am not a Nissan fan, so I'll wait for the others to get a clue...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #7

Hopefully the manufacturers will NOT put big HP engines in the 1/2 tons...we all have enough idiots trying to pull/tow trailers/loads with half tons that are not safe due to overload situations
Old 08-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #8

Half-Ton and diesel in the same sentence? It should be interesting to see what happens when I look back in 10 years. I was wrong with bottled water (said it would never sell) and cell phones (said 1 phone per family was good).

Diesel fuel has 20% more btu's than gasoline. So the new Chevy 1500 getting 22 mpg highway with cylinder deactivation vs a diesel getting 25 or 26mpg highway.

It depends on the cost of the diesel half ton truck to see if it catches on or not. Also the towing/hauling capability of the diesel should be more than the gasoline version.

It will be interesting.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The 3.0l turbodiesel in the 2014 Ram is rated 240 BHP/420 lb-ft torque and a 9,200 lb tow rating.
Rusty
And through continued / repeated posts here in the forums , we all know what kind of problems that , the high tow ratings; and how they are calculated; on P/Us , 1/2 tons, in particular, can cause.

sc3283, and I , are on the same train of thought here, I just type slower.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Which is why I also stated in post #5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
....but I hope that the people that buy them understand the limitations of a 1/2 ton truck and understand that's what they're buying.
Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #11

Coming to a thread near you:

The salesman said I would have no problems towing my 38 ft 5-er with my 1/2 ton diesel pickup. Why is it so slow on hills and accelleration?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Hopefully the manufacturers will NOT put big HP engines in the 1/2 tons...we all have enough idiots trying to pull/tow trailers/loads with half tons that are not safe due to overload situations
This is well said..............Some believe because they can pull it, it is the right truckwait until they have to brake in heavy traffic
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #13

Laurier...braking is only a small part of the issue if the trailer brakes are working properly...my thoughts always are...its raining....and an evasive maneuver is required to avoid an accident....OOPS.....tail waggin the dog!!! Hopefully before these idiots crash they tell themselves..."I should have bought a REAL truck!"

Anyone who has driven has had at least 1 moment as I described above

I recently saw some idiot with a half ton short bed "hemi".....so he knows he has the world by the tail with his truck! He was towing what had to be a 32'+ fiver....the rear bumper of the truck had to hit the ground on big bumps....it is ridiculous what some will do when it comes to towing!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
I agree with the sentiment expressed in post #5, #7, and #13... That being said, a 1/2 ton will pull most TTs under 30' or so just fine, especially if the driver is not trying to make the posted speed between Junction and Fort Stocton, Texas (85 mph). Mine is 29' total length and weighs about 6200# loaded. I've had no problems. As to displacement, a smaller engine putting out huge torque is working very hard. A larger engine putting out the same torque, is not working as hard, and will last longer and probably consume less fuel doing so... or that seems to be my experience. I've been wrong before...... and will be again before it's over...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel