Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #1

Hallo newbie here, which truck question...

Hi everyone, my hubby and I are looking to purchase a 41ft 5th Wheel (total weight when full about 24K lbs).
We've had two rv before but nothing this big.
We're going full time this time
Question:
TRUCKS!?...we like Dodge RAM 3500 dually HO but very hard to find at decent price unfortunately.

-What other dually models do you suggest based on capability and reliability for our set up?
We know that RAM trucks improved substantially in 2019 and up... is it true or older models are good too?
Hard to believe that a truck costs so much!!...the one I really like is about $88k!! :() lol.
Tell me your experience n knowledge about these big daddy trucks please...whats the cheapest most reliable year and model? etc..

Thanks in advance for your help
Cattiva73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #2

You picked the best! Not much more to say....
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:16 AM   #3

I would join Turbodiesel register.com. This is a dedicated site for the Dodge/Ram trucks, and they cover all the years from the first gen to the fourth gen trucks like you are looking at. Also, there is a buyer's guide on what to look for and any questions you might have. This is free as long as you are a member of TDR. I have been a member of TDR since Nov. 2007, and I have learned a lot about my truck and other Dodges/Ram trucks.

I have a third gen truck a 2008, 2500HD Mega Cab Diesel as my tow vehicle and this truck tows great. Unless I get the urge to buy a new Ram this will probably my last truck.

BTW my two boys and I have between us 4 Dodge/Ram diesel trucks. As stated above these trucks are the best for towing a trailer.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #4

350/3500 Dually.....your choice.

RAM 2019 - Present
Ford 2020 - Present
GMC 2020 - Present
Chevy 202 - Present

Shop around, test drive a few.... any of the 4 will fit your needs
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/articl..._pickup_trucks
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Brand loyalty is very strong. I also like the Dodge trucks because the Cummins ISB engine is the best available in a light truck.
However, these pickups have gotten so expensive and difficult to find that I would look at the Ford, Chevy, and GMC and then decide. You may find a good deal on an available truck.

The largest Dodge truck dealer in the country is Dave Smith motors. Give them a call. Dave Smith Motors | Largest Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram Dealer
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:59 PM   #6

With a 24,000#GVW I don't think you'll be happy with 1T pickup.

Have you considered looking a MDT? The guys who tow with a HDT are a different breed altogether, and virtually all full-timers.

The Big 3 make 1T dually pickups, but their commercial line(without a bed) cost much less. Some folks then have an RV bed installed or stay with a flatbed..

FWIW, this online towing calculator will accurately and impartially match a trailer and tow vehicle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #7

24k is a lot of weight, I agree with Ray.

You really should be looking at 450/4500 trucks minimum.

Medium duty trucks (MDT) would be even better. The downside is while they have heavier suspension and braking they often only have marginally better performance than LDT (light duty trucks) like the 3500 you are looking at. They are also expensive to purchase, new or used and everything about them is expensive.

Heavy duty trucks (HDT) are truly best for most. The all around performance far exceeds MDT. Cost is significantly cheaper all the way around and life expectancy is at least 3 times longer. The downside to HDT is they can be intimidating at first. With that said, very few who go HDT ever go back.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
24k is a lot of weight, I agree with Ray.

You really should be looking at 450/4500 trucks minimum.

Medium duty trucks (MDT) would be even better. The downside is while they have heavier suspension and braking they often only have marginally better performance than LDT (light duty trucks) like the 3500 you are looking at. They are also expensive to purchase, new or used and everything about them is expensive.

Heavy duty trucks (HDT) are truly best for most. The all around performance far exceeds MDT. Cost is significantly cheaper all the way around and life expectancy is at least 3 times longer. The downside to HDT is they can be intimidating at first. With that said, very few who go HDT ever go back.
I agree. This is what you should be looking at to tow that large of a RV safely.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I agree. This is what you should be looking at to tow that large of a RV safely.
Totally disagree. We have several 1 ton trucks on our farm and weve pulled whatever we hook up to them including 140hp tractors, huge loads of hay for hundreds of miles and in the past, our 44 Cyclone toyhauler.

Im not guessing this is the ok, but speaking from experience. We use Ford and Chevy, but that 1 ton Dodge youd be happy with. That size truck is what the majority of people use, and I must say that I believe most are satisfied and pull within the law for weights and dont have overkill.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was tempted to say that you would be happier with a 4500 or 5500 truck, but looking at the specs for the current RAM truck I see that properly equipped the 3500 can have a GCWR of 35,100 lbs so it looks like it will be adequate for your use.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattiva73 View Post
We know that RAM trucks improved substantially in 2019 and up... is it true or older models are good too?
Depends on what you want "improved". HP/torque/quality of cabin interior then yes, the newer trucks are nice. Dependability...thousands of trouble-free miles? Nope. Just do your research on all the problems with the new diesels and their emission controls.

To me dependability trumps all other considerations. So I will be holding on to my 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually with the NV5600 6 speed manual transmission for the rest of my life.
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #12

Smile new diesels

The 2017 Up Ford F350, 2020 up Chevy/GM and 2019 and up Ram 3500 are the best trucks for a camper your size. The first thing you have to look at is load capacity. With a 24K lb trailer you are looking at 4800 or so in pin weight. Most of the 1 ton dually have 5500 lbs of load capacity. The Ram can be had with Air Suspension which will help. Make sure you get 4.10 gears if possible (Chevy/ GMs only come with 3.42s). These new trucks are well above the older models in towing capacity and comfort. I have a 41 ft fifth wheel (13500 lb) that I pulled with my 06 Ram 3500 Mega Can SRW 5.9 diesel. It did ok but was pushed around in cross winds. I moved to a F350 Dually. What a difference. I can set the CC on 70 MPH and run all day. It is a comfortable tow. The F450 pickup has a lower load capacity then the F350 so it would be overloaded with your camper. Go drive all the trucks and decide then (wife made the final decision ). I bought the Ford over the Ram due to the gas like engine power the ford has and the ride. I still drive my Mega Cab daily and pull my car and equipment trailer with it.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:20 PM   #13

All the trucks are going to be very expensive. All the current trucks I believe have an updated interior with powerful engines. Updated interior include the bigger screen and lots of cameras and safety options. The newest Fords have 1200 ft lbs of torque in the HO version. Ram has 1075 in the HO version. GM does not have an HO option yet.

Ford has 1050 ft lbs of torque in the standard diesel engine.

I would look hard at the newest Ford F-450 or F-550 with either diesel engine. It will be expensive so beware.

You might also look at the MDT Freightliner Sport Chassis for a 24,000lb. 5th wheel. There are other MDT trucks too.

For that weight a CDL is probably a good idea.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:42 PM   #14

They all have their pluses and minuses but all of the big 3 make a good HD pickup truck. Some great posts so far, to add:

- Ram: Cummins is the best engine IMO, best engine brake too. Downsides are the 6 spd tranny and it's hard to find the HO/Aisin which is what I'd want.

- GM: good ride due to the IFS.....also more expensive to fix and arguably not as robust as a solid front end. Now that they've got the 10spd, they should do alright compared to the others even if they are down on power a bit

- Ford: I like the aluminum body, solid front axle and several other minor features. The 6.7PSD/10spd combo is the strongest performer of the three and that's without the "soon to be released" HO version. Downsides; it's a big truck with a 12" longer wheelbase than my last Cummins Ram CC long box and the turning radius isn't the best....which brings me to:

I'd seriously look at an F450 for your use. The F350 DRW and F450 share the same 14,000 lb GVWR but the 450 has bigger brakes, commercial 19.5" rims and tires and a wide track front end giving it a 7' tighter steering radius compared to the F350. Max towing weight on a 2023 F450 is 40,000 lbs. If you are looking for used, then I'd stick with a 2020+ F450 to get the 10 spd 10R140 tranny.

My 2022 F350 CC DRW 6.7 has a max tow rating of 31,300 lbs because I have 3.55 gears. With 4.10's it jumps to 34,700. My stickered payload is 5453 lbs.

Dave

Tags