Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #15

I drive a motorhome with a hydraulic motorcycle lift (hydralift-usa.com). I take my HD Roadking. The lift will handle 1200 lbs. It works very well, but my motorhome is built to take the extra weight at the rear. This setup works great, except that when traveling, the bike is in the debris turbulence behind the coach so it gets filthy, always. If it rains, the bike gets muddy.

So: carrying the bike outside works great, but the bike has to be thoroughly cleaned at every stop. What a drag. I am looking at changing to a toyhauler coach or 5th wheel to keep the bike clean and unscratched. If you carry a dirt bike, these problems shouldn't matter.

2005 Haulmark Motorcoach
toetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #16

I SAW A REAL NEAT SET UP FOR HAULING A BIKE. IT HOOKS UP TO A TWO INCH RECIEVER HITCH ON THE BACK OF THE 5TH WHEEL TRLR, AND DOES NOT PULL LIKE A TRAILER AS IT HAS 2 CASTOR TYPE SWIVEL WHEELS THAT ROTATE AS THE TRAILER BACKS UP. IT DOES NOT PIVOT ON A BALL HITCH, BUT RATHER USES A UNIQUE COMBINATION OF 2 BALL HITCHES AND A PIVOT POINT TO ATTATCH TO THE TRAILER. I DON'T RECALL THE NAME OF IT, BUT I KNOW THEY ARE BUILT IN FLA.
ken moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:50 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Ken

First let me welcome you to iRV2.com. We all hope you keep coming around providing interesting input as well as descriptions of your adventures.

The setup you are describing is sold by Blue-Ox. See it here It actually has a double receiver hitch. I tried to look at the weight calculation page and it only discusses a MH. The one issue is that this setup will add weight to the axles, probably more on the rear axle. If you are running near GVWR of the trailer, it could be dicey at best.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:45 AM   #18
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I still say this is the only way to carry your most prize possession. And your wife will like it too.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:50 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Jim

I agree 100%
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #21

Here is how I took my bike along before I went to the Smart Car.

Here is a shot with the Goldwing on the back before I had the HDT painted to match the fiver

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #22
Administrator Emeritus

David, you're definitely onto something, but here's something I am considering, along with a TH'ing fiver.... this ought to get the comments going!!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #23

The only problem I see Bob, it will take two football fields to turn the rig around. That is one long wheel base but then you are use to those long rigs

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
Here's a comment, Yer a NUT

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #25

Swivel Wheel.com made over in Katy, Tx
hnybare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #26

Bob that rig would fit right in, Toy hauler and all, at those boondocking areas off Interstate 8 at the Imperial sand dunes. I've made it a point to drive out there and tour through a few of those areas on the Harley and what I've seen has convinced me of two things:
1/ There is no such thing as TOO big of a rig when toys are in the equation.

2/ There is no such thing as TOO much horsepower for either the Motorhome, Toterhome tow vehicle or the toys that ride inside them.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by Beachcomer:
Thanks for all of the information and suggestions.

Dan
Beachcomber,
I was faced with the same problem. Have 1 ton Ford dully, 37' Avion and 800lb MC, now with a sidecar.

Took bed off truck, extended frame to handle MC and sidecar. Its a little long but I did not give up space in trailer for living. A second option is the Tow-Buddy, www.hitch-buddy.com. Found this one after I had the work done.

labill
labill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #28

When I retired my wife and I faced the same problem having just bought a new Harley. Looked at fifth wheels but saw a potential problem with having enough room behind the rig to drop the gate and remove the bike once set up. Looked at truck bed/motorhome m/c lifts. Pretty cool but left the bike exposed. Our solution; new F350 dually cab/chassis, custom 10 foot service box (think mini U-Haul) and a 2500lb aluminum lift gate. That with a 30ft Arctic Fox and we're ready to roll.
RV s'more is offline   Reply With Quote