Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #1

Have a 38ft MH but considering a short Travel trailer/5th wheel

Hi,

We are on our second class A in 6 years and love the lifestyle, we tow a Jeep Wrangler behind it.

Anyways we have a 2018 Expedition Ltd 4x4 with tow package or would consider a suitable truck also (keep Expedition as daily daily driver).

We are also considering shorter class c's.

I have never towed a trailer in my life but have towed my Jeep a lot. We are still working and would use to for 60-70 nights a year for trips within 300 miles for ranging for 3-10 days and once twice year for further afield for 15 days. I do want to dry camp with it.

I do understand there is a lot I will have to give from the class A.

Liking for advice for folks who have owned both MH's and the towables.

Thanks,

Stephen
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #2

Went from a Country Coach DP to a 23’ TT back in 2017.

There are times when we REALLY miss the DP, and especially some of the resorts that only allowed class A. The solid construction, and overall feel of camping in the coach was more relaxing, and comforting.

But we also really enjoy getting out into more remote locations. It is two completely different styles of camping. Never really liked taking the coach down dusty rock roads, but we take the trailer down them quite often now.

Towing the trailer, with the right set up is no issue, and can be just as relaxing as driving the coach. Just like the DP, after 30 minutes of going down the road, everything feels good, and pretty much forget it’s back there. Windy days require more focus, and the DP definitely handled better.

Maintenance is very simple on the trailer, besides servicing the axels, really not much else. Definitely the trailer doesn’t get near the care, or attention. We did go with a Lance because it has a higher quality feel on the interior, but it’s still just a trailer.

In a perfect world one could own both, and has crossed our minds when I see a similar coach up for sale.

Understand things are very different now, and can see the appeal of moving into a smaller RV, but you really want to look at things in the long term, and your camping style that you enjoy.

I guess there really isn’t a good answer. But hope that helps some.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Went from a Country Coach DP to a 23’ TT back in 2017.

There are times when we REALLY miss the DP, and especially some of the resorts that only allowed class A. The solid construction, and overall feel of camping in the coach was more relaxing, and comforting.

But we also really enjoy getting out into more remote locations. It is two completely different styles of camping. Never really liked taking the coach down dusty rock roads, but we take the trailer down them quite often now.

Towing the trailer, with the right set up is no issue, and can be just as relaxing as driving the coach. Just like the DP, after 30 minutes of going down the road, everything feels good, and pretty much forget it’s back there. Windy days require more focus, and the DP definitely handled better.

Maintenance is very simple on the trailer, besides servicing the axels, really not much else. Definitely the trailer doesn’t get near the care, or attention. We did go with a Lance because it has a higher quality feel on the interior, but it’s still just a trailer.

In a perfect world one could own both, and has crossed our minds when I see a similar coach up for sale.

Understand things are very different now, and can see the appeal of moving into a smaller RV, but you really want to look at things in the long term, and your camping style that you enjoy.

I guess there really isn’t a good answer. But hope that helps some.
Thanks for the reply, all great info

I do hear you on the maintenance.

That's interesting you said about owning both. I did toy with the idea but we would not either enough to justify it. But, I could justify a travel trailer and a truck camper (that's me dreaming)

I know Lance make nice ones of both.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:24 PM   #4

We went from a Discovery 40G to an Airstream 25' trailer. Our needs are very similar to yours as we still work but like to get out as often as possible. Instead of a Toad, I now have a 3/4 truck to tow with. I don't need it as an every day driver since I'm working from home almost exculisivly these days. You give up storage for sure. The Class A pretty much lets you throw everything including the kitchen sink in whether you use it or not. Bathroom is smaller and we don't have a generator so summer rest stops are warm. No washer dryer. The upside is that is is a much more manageable rig (in my mind) and opens up lots of campsites that normally are too small for a Class A. We've already done one 7 day trip and things went fine. We are not likely to do more than 14 days in the next year or two. Systems are much simpler. No slides, no leveling jacks, no huge tires. The truck gets driven a few times a week, so the power plant doesn't stay idle for weeks or more if we don't travel. So far we're liking downsizing. We have had all sorts of trailers and pop ups in the past and 3 different MHs. The only things we have not tried are 5th wheels, Class Bs and truck campers.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #5

It all boils down to camping style for you. When we were young with kids, we owned a Revcon Class A and a Winnebago Class C, and flat towed a small 4x4 toad. Now 70 and retired, we downsized to a small TT, partially because of limitations of getting something larger up our winding steep mountain driveway. We’ve now owned our TT for almost a year, and have put on about 7,000 miles and about 40 nights. What we’ve found is that smaller has been better for us. Our Micro mini has plenty of room for the two of us and we never feel squished. We’ve had to adapt to smaller tanks, but that hasn’t stopped us from boondocking. Our style is that we rarely spend any daytime inside the camper unless the weather is bad. We cook every meal outside on a Blackstone. Another reason for smaller is better, is that smaller equals lower scheduled and unscheduled maintenance and repairs. As a do-it-yourselfer, I fix nearly everything, but really don’t want to spend my time doing repairs anymore. The only thing we really miss is that on long travel days, I have to stop at rest areas to go in the trailer for toileting, and napping. At 12mpg towing, its also much less for fuel. Saved about $400 on fuel on our recent 3 week trip to Maine.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #6

Thanks both,

I would be more than happy with a 3/4 ton truck as a daily driver.

With the A my wife does like that she can go back and use the toilet etc (she does not do it often).

I looked at the Lances and liked them.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #7

One more item I should have mentioned is with more remote camping, comes a different style of people that you share the campground with.

These are the smaller more remote USFS campgrounds. Less than 10 sites, and are really spread out.

My DW is very outgoing, and has learned to tamper that down when we are out there.

Just this summer we have witnessed party groups coming through driving erratically through the campground. We have also witnessed spousal, and child abuse.

It’s not like it happens often, but it does seem to happen more out in remote locations. Just something if your not used to, you may not be aware. Let’s just say there have been times where I was glad to have protection.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:19 PM   #8

With a 3/4 ton you’ll have a lot more options than a 1/2 ton. However, IMHO, you will be FAR happier with a TT with large tanks. So, you might want to look at GD and ORV. Showering every other day @5gal/shower we can only boondock for 4 days before having to address our liquids problems. That means adding fresh water from Reliance jugs, and using our tote to empty the gray water if we don’t want to break camp. 50gal fresh and 50gal or gray or larger would be ideal.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:57 PM   #9

Obviously there are major differences between moho and travel trailer or even 5th wheel. We have a 29ft triple slide 5th wheel which works out to 32' end to end overall. With 3 large slides it is quite roomy for 2 people. I'm reasonably sure it is equivalent to a 38 to 40' moho with 3 slides.

You can get more trailer for the same $$, but you need a decent tow vehicle. I find them easy to hook up and go vs a TT, plus no weight distribution bar hassles and a very stable tow with a DRW truck. We got both of them for just shy of 50k in 2013 and 2014. Truck was barely 2 years old, trailer was 8. Unhooking leaves you a nice sized daily driver, but some find that to big. No need to put away all the stuff on the counter,bedding etc like a moho, and no need to tug another motorized vehicle, but yoy can if you have a toy hauler.

Here I plate the trailer once and it's for life, or until I sell it. No annual inspections, maintenance is likely 1/4 of any moho, and much easier to DIY or find a shop for.

Moho is nice because it's self-contained, no need to enter or exit for a quick sleep stop.

It all depends what you are comfortable with and prefer. We've done plenty of rough roads, offroad and dry camping. Sometimes we spend a week in an isolated location.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #10

We’ve learned things along the way, and can be very conservative on water use.

Ours has 45 gallons of fresh water, and just recently went on a 7 day boondocking trip, and still had over 1/2 a tank when we left. We have a small generator, but it gets very little use, as we also have lithium batteries.

Do a lot of pre-cooking at home, and use gallon jugs for showering. I know, it sounds silly, but we fill ours either from the lake, river, or the campground well, and then set it out in a sunny location. After a few hours the water is nice and warm, and pours out of the jug nicely for showering. It may sound crazy, but works really well. Way better than not having a shower every day.

Believe we would run out of food, due to lack of space in the fridge, before anything else.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
One more item I should have mentioned is with more remote camping, comes a different style of people that you share the campground with.

These are the smaller more remote USFS campgrounds. Less than 10 sites, and are really spread out.

My DW is very outgoing, and has learned to tamper that down when we are out there.

Just this summer we have witnessed party groups coming through driving erratically through the campground. We have also witnessed spousal, and child abuse.

It’s not like it happens often, but it does seem to happen more out in remote locations. Just something if your not used to, you may not be aware. Let’s just say there have been times where I was glad to have protection.
I have seen that myself at State Forest campground. Not as bad as you say but definitely something going on.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:41 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
We went from a 40-foot Discovery LXE to 33-foot Airstream Classic. We lasted less than a year in the Airstream before we went back to Newmar Ventana LE 40 foot DP. I agree with everyone saying above a TT will have less maintenance and you get into parks that our 40 foot DP just doesn’t fit. Depends on your camping style. We camp around 6 months out of the year with 3 months down south during the winter. During the summer we like traveling to multiple locations on the same trip and we also enjoy Harvest Host, Cracker Barrels, and free boondocking sites while traveling between locations. It can be done in TT but in Class A we pull into the site without services, get as level as we can and turn on the AGS and the AC and sit back and enjoy our stay. Everyone's style is different and they are no right or wrong answer just be sure you will be happy with the decisions. It was an expensive mistake for us.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #13

Don't think of getting a tow vehicle until after you decide on your RV. 1/2 ton=good for small camper, 3/4 ton=good for most any travel trailer if you get a diesel, 1 ton=needed for almost all fifth wheels in a diesel.

We went from a DP to a 34' fifth wheel to a 20' travel trailer and back to a 30' fifth wheel. Along with about 20 other RVs along the way. All were fun and worked well within limits. DP was too spendy to keep on the road. Travel trailers were too long for us to go where we wanted. Fifth wheels fit our style the best. They are all different and there isn't a single one made that does everything perfectly.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd opt for a one ton diesel for my tow vehicle regardless. Same size as a 1/2 ton but much more capable. Then it's a matter of where and how you like to travel and camp. If you plan on gravel, I'd go for a smaller TT with few if any slides. Mostly due to the height issue but also dust. If you are mostly pavement a fifth wheel is hard to beat.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:17 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
When the TT and Class A there are two points that seem to always come up.

Cost and in my state is cost me 1300 bucks to put plates on 2017 Ram 2500 but the plate on my 36,000-pound motorhomes is under 300 bucks. I can get my yearly 800 oil change and plates for 300 and a couple of steak dinners. I have not had anything break on the chassis side of the motor home YET.

Another one is if something goes wrong with Class A your entire home goes into the repair shop. But a friend had his 2020 DRW get in accident 1000 miles from home. He had rent a storage area and could find one anywhere that would rent one for less than a year lease. Plus he rented a car to get home.

Plus we got into easy to moderate 4 wheeling and really enjoy our Jeep Rubicon.

Camping style should is very important on what you decided and is really one of the top considerations when deciding.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer