Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #1

Headlight Upgrade

I've got a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9L Cummins engine. I would love to upgrade the headlights to a brighter headlight than stock. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #2

Headlight Upgrade

I highly recommend Diode Dynamics at www.diodedynamics.com. I have done the HID upgrade to two of my Chrysler 300’s the past 4 years. Both installs went flawlessly. Hardest part was the limited space in a car behind the headlight housing. Dont know how easy access will be for you. Most important is the type of headlight housing you have. My 300’s have “projector” type housings which are what you need for the intense HID lights. If you have older “reflector” type housing, then you would end up blinding oncoming traffic. Call DD and talk to them about your truck. Love my HIDs. I will do this on all my vehicles from now on! They have an upcoming LED solution coming but unfortunately will not fit my car.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #3

Headlight Upgrade

You should get 4,300K color temperature bulbs as those give out the most visible light and are crystal clear white. Most new car mfrs use 3,000K non-HID halogen headlights and that is what you currently have in your truck. If you happen to have LED fog lights or DRLs then you should consider 5,000K color which matches LEDs better, although they have slightly less light output. 6,000K bulbs put out even less light and have a noticable bluish hue to them. 8,000K bulbs look purplish and are dim in comparison.

Yellowish 2,000-2,500K bulbs are perfect for fog lights as their light cuts through water particles (fog/snow) better without as much blinding glare. A lot of people think bright white LED fog lights look cool and even my brand new 300C has them. But anyone who has ever driven in fog knows the real deal is yellow.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:30 PM   #4

I'm watching this post with interest as the headlights on my 04 Ram are poor at best. I put in the higher output bulbs. They were better but not enough so to justify the cost. I've spent time on the internet researching LED solutions but came up with nothing definitive. Some of the aftermarket full headlight replacements look good but they don't tout the light output. Hope you get some good responses as I am also looking for a solution.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #5

I will also keep and eye on this thread..

I have a 55 watt HID 6,000K on my motorcycle.. 4 years how... good unit..
with True High/Low.. an electrical magnet moves the focus

waiting for LED's go get good and NOT need a cooling fan...
for my 2012 F 250...
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #6

I looked at pictures on AutoTrader tonight. The 2000 Ram is definitely an old style reflector type headlight. HID or LED conversion will not work. The light would be brighter but not focused. You would blind oncoming traffic. Not sure about the 2004 but probably not a “projector” lens. Both of you would have to look for a retrofit headlight with projector housing. A projector focuses the light from the bulb and “projects” it down the road. Because it is highly focused, it has a sharp upper cutoff so does not shine into the eyes of oncoming vehicles. An option would be getting a projector conversion. This is not for the faint of heart...you have to bake the headlight housing to release the glue and joint in order to crack it open. Then position and install the projector lens and the light bulb electronics, then seal it all back up, then test it. Too much work for me.

Tags
light, upgrade