Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Help!

We've been in our Forest River Heritage Glen Hyper-Lyte for just under 2 months, so I figured it was time to clean the exterior of the trailer. The only problem is the awning will not retract. So, I checked the jacks: they will not retract either; nor the slide. Everything else (exterior lights & outlets, everything internal) works as advertised.

What am I missing? I've looked through the owner's manual, but cannot find any useful information. So, I thought I'd turn to some users.... the real experts.

Thank you in advance!

Tim
T-n-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #2

Check the condition of your house batteries. What is their voltage? Then inspect all your fuses. A bad converter will drain the house batts.
dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #3

Those components due to amp draw are typically wired directly to battery POS post/cable with in-line fuses (or DC circuit breakers) close by.

SO......
Are you hooked up to AC shore power?
Is battery disconnect ON (battery isolated)?
AC shore would supply converter which would power the normal DC System...but if battery disconnect ON then battery would be isolated from converter/charger and have run down so that it could not power those items directly wired.'

Otherwise hard to imagine all of those components ahve blown fuses.

Start at battery checking Volatge...then ID/Check each wire on POS post/cable for in-line fuses and DC Voltage AFTER the fuses
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #4

If you are in your trailer for two months then you have to be using the furnace, hot water, micro wave, TV, A/C etc.

I would check all breakers. Maybe flip them all off then back on.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:16 AM   #5

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskyward View Post
Check the condition of your house batteries. What is their voltage? Then inspect all your fuses. A bad converter will drain the house batts.

I agree - it almost has to be something with the batteries or direct connections for all those high power draw items. Check the battery, battery connections, and circuit breakers (or fuses) for each of those systems. The circuit breakers for these direct connected, high draw systems are usually in line on the tongue, and could be either auto reset, or have a small reset button on them.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #6

So, the trailer is connected to the campground's electricity. I've recycled power to the trailer twice and reset all of the circuit breakers; all of the fuses are good.

Had to manually retract the awning, this past weekend, duel to wind gusts up to 50 mph.

Fortunately, the trailer is still under warranty. Calling the dealer, today.

Tim
Old 10-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
#3 and #5.

This has to be relatively simple with the proper diagrams. I would see if the manufacturer could email the power distribution documents.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:05 AM   #8

The appliances you said were working will work on 12 volt or 120 volt system. If you are plugged into an electrical pedestal, then they are getting their power from the 120 volt system at the pedestal. Unplug the electrical line from the pedestal and see if those items still work. If not, then that points to a low trailer battery.

Most likely you have at least one low battery in the trailer batteries. Check the battery voltage of each battery using a voltmeter or multimeter. If you do not have a volt/multimeter, then see if someone nearby has one you could use. If a battery is low, then it will need charging before these appliances will work. If the battery is low, then you most likely have a charging problem. Could be something as simple as a tripped breaker or could be within the electrical system itself.

Good luck on your quest.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
The appliances you said were working will work on 12 volt or 120 volt system..
This could be a little misleading. MH appliances typically need 12vdc for the control. The exception would be a residential refer.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #10

Called the dealer, yesterday, and they mentioned a junction box under the trailer. Crawled underneath when I got home from work and found the problem.... one of the main wires coming from the battery to the trailer was poorly crimped, if at all, at the terminal. After reconnecting and properly crimping the wire, everything works as expected. Happy that it was something simple.