Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Help- Is our truck enough

So confused at this point- Trailer life says our truck is adequate to pull the fifth wheel we are seriously looking at. The truck manual harder to understand.

2002 Chevy Duramax-short bed, CC 6.6liter V8 3.73 axle. How do I interpret the hitch weight and what the truck bed can carry?

Fifth wheel UVW is 12,100 GVWR is 15,000

We have been pulling a 8900 pound fifth wheel with no issues, not sure if this is too much of a jump. We do not want a new truck.
ELDMLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #2

Is that 2002 a 2500 or a 3500?
If 3500 is it SRW or DRW?
2WD or 4WD?

If 2500.........MAX 5th wheel towing weight is 12,000#
That is with a 150# driver and 20# cargo
Add anything else and that MAX Tow number goes DOWN and down and down

If 3500....
12,000# also if a SRW
15,000# if DRW...........again based on a 150# driver and 20# cargo.
Add anything and that MAX Tow number agaun goes DOWN and down and down
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #3

I don't think chevy had a SB dually so 12k should be the max. I have the exact same weighted trailer. Pulled fine on very flat grounds as far as power with a 2500 ram with air bags. Air bags stopped working one day. Thought the truck was going to fall apart on I35. Bought a dually. No comparison and has an exhaust brake. Please don't tow with the unloaded weight as a pre calculation for your tow vehicle. I did that. Ended up closer to GVWR than I thought in the trailer.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
whats the payload on your truck? sticker in door jamb.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi,ELDMLD, and and to our campfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDMLD View Post
So confused at this point- Trailer life says our truck is adequate to pull the fifth wheel we are seriously looking at.
Yes. Trailer Life publishes the tow rating, but the tow rating gives you only the max weight you can PULL, provided there is no weight in the truck but a skinny driver. Tow rating is never the limiter as to how heavy a trailer you can tow without being overloaded. GVWR is usually your limiter. If you go by the tow rating, you're guaranteed to be overloaded when wet and loaded on the road.

Quote:
The truck manual harder to understand.
The manual includes instructions as to how to compute GCWR. GCWR is used to determine tow rating. (GCWR minus the weight of the empty truck = tow rating).

Quote:
2002 Chevy Duramax-short bed, CC 6.6liter V8 3.73 axle. How do I interpret the hitch weight and what the truck bed can carry?
The only sure way is to load the truck up with everyone and everything that will be in it when towing. Driver, passengers, pets, toys, tools, jacks, campfire wood, charcoal and grill, installed 5er hitch, everything. Drive to a truck stop that has a CAT scale. Fill up with fuel then weigh the wet and loaded truck.

Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from the GVWR of the truck. The answer is payload capacity available for pin weight.

Quote:
Fifth wheel UVW is 12,100 GVWR is 15,000
Pin weight of a 15k 5er will be about 20% of the weight of the wet and loaded 5er. To be conservative, assume the weight of the wet and loaded 5er will be the GVWR of the 5er. 20% of 15k = 3,000 pounds. So the most pin weight you should have is 3,000.

3,000 pounds pin weight will probably exceed your payload capacity available for pin weight. So you'll be tempted to cheat and use less than the trailer's GVWR as the wet and loaded weight of the 5er. 14,000 pounds 5er will have about 2,800 pounds pin weight. That's still probably more than the payload capacity available for pin weight.

Quote:
We have been pulling a 8900 pound fifth wheel with no issues, not sure if this is too much of a jump.
It's too much of a jump. I had a '99.5 F-250 diesel with GVWR very close to the GVWR in your truck. My 5er also had GVWR of 8,900 pounds and I loaded it to about 9,000. I was usually overloaded over the GVWR of my 3/4-ton tow vehicle by one or two hundred pounds during coast to coast trips from Maine to California and from Seattle to Key West, crossing all the mountain ranges in between. My only problem was blown out trailer tires until I upgraded the tires (and wheels) from ST205/75R15C to ST225/75R15D or E.

You need to weigh that rig on a CAT scale to see where you stand. Add the weights on the steer and drive axles and compare the total to the GVWR of your GM. You're probably very close to exceeding the GVWR of your Chevy with your current trailer, and you would be severely overloaded with the heavier trailer.

Quote:
We do not want a new truck.
Then don't buy more trailer than the old truck can safely tow, IOW, without exceeding the GVWR (and payload capacity) of the old truck.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196-S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote