Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #1

We are new to towing a large trailer and will be using a weight distribution hitch for the first time in our camping lives. Our dealer is going to install and set it up with the delivery of our new trailer. The question is...which one do you campers here suggest.

The dealer recommended a Curt with seperate sway control set up. He also could do the "Equalizer brand". I like the Equalizer because the sway is integrated and there is not a seperate bar. But the dealer said that their experience is that the Curt set up works better because the bars have pivot points and are not fixed welds. He said this gives a better ride and works better on bumpy / pot holed roads.

What is the experience / opinion of the experts here? The new unit is a 2009 32 foot Puma. Dry weight is 6800lbs and gvwr is 9600lbs. We are towing with a 2008 Tundra crew Max with a 10,200lb tow rating. I would really appreciate any guidance for those here.

Tyler (son, 10), Emilee (Daughter, 8), Matthew (Son, 4)
syoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Scott: First Welcome we have a 2008 Coachman and use the Equalizer brand since it was both a weight distribution and sway control, we decide on it over a few others. It is very easy to use and does an excellant job. If you should have any question their tech support group is outstanding. We have put on about 3,000 miles and no trouble at all.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Scott,

Lots of folks use the Equal-i-zer hitch and are happy with it. It is still a friction dependent device.

I prefer the Reese Dual Cam HP since it operates with an unbalanced force to push the trailer back on line. It is a bit more trouble to set up initially and a lot of dealers shy away from it because of this and they are not familiar with it. But once set up, it does a great job.

My vote goes to a Dual Cam HP (some times called Straight line)

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #4

The add on style sway brake(s), which is the style we had on our older, smaller hybrid & mini van are not recommended on trailers over 25' if I read my old Reese w/d hitch manual correctly.

Even 2 add on sway brakes do not equal the anti yaw forces of a Reese Dual Cam or Equal-i-zer, and sway brakes do not allow as sharp a turn in forward or reverse without doing damage to them, so I am a bit disappointed that your dealer would mention something I think you might be not be happy with had you not started with a better product to begin with - that they already sell.

We went with the Equal-izer and it is an excellent hitch (kept us straight while stopping on ice on one snowy trip home as well as other bad weather and helped my wife feel safe again while she had her turn behind the wheel). We also have some camping friends with the Dual Cam who are just as happy about their hitch's performance. Many happy users on this and other forums with both of these hitches.

The Equal-i-zer is a bit more work to do up the weight bars than the Dual Cam but an electric tongue jack takes the sweat out of that job. Dual Cam seems to have higher centering force, but that is just my perception from following another trailer equipped with dual cam in the same cross winds.

We did upgrade to a Hensley after almost 3 years with the Equal-i-zer but not because we were unhappy with its sway performance - its the way you could feel the hitch working inside the tow vehicle that continued to make our youngest car sic, but only when towing the big trailer.

The Reese Dual Cam can also be retro fitted to the Curt round weight distribution bar should you go that route but I will let other members who have done this upgrade talk you through it.

Mike
6MISFITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by syoungblood View Post
We are new to towing a large trailer and will be using a weight distribution hitch for the first time in our camping lives. Our dealer is going to install and set it up with the delivery of our new trailer. The question is...which one do you campers here suggest.

The dealer recommended a Curt with seperate sway control set up. He also could do the "Equalizer brand". I like the Equalizer because the sway is integrated and there is not a seperate bar. But the dealer said that their experience is that the Curt set up works better because the bars have pivot points and are not fixed welds. He said this gives a better ride and works better on bumpy / pot holed roads.

What is the experience / opinion of the experts here? The new unit is a 2009 32 foot Puma. Dry weight is 6800lbs and gvwr is 9600lbs. We are towing with a 2008 Tundra crew Max with a 10,200lb tow rating. I would really appreciate any guidance for those here.
One word of caution, I have hauled horse trailers and used both the equalizer bars with the T shaped head and the J shaped head, and I can tell you that the J shaped head can unlock itself if you turn tight. I came home one time dragging a bar.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #6

I saw it mentioned in one post, but since you are pulling such a long pull-behind trailer, you might want to at least check out the Hensley.

http://www.hensleymfg.com/

It is expensive, but lots of people (including myself) think that it is worth the money.

I do know two people who pull 32'+ towables with the Equalizer and they have not had a problem that I am aware of.

It all comes down to personal preference. We had the standard bars and chains for a while. Once we switched to the Hensley Arrow, we have been totally satisfied for 7+ years.

Good luck with the new trailer.

Rodney
Suburbbus is offline   Reply With Quote