Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2022, 10:40 AM   #1

Help with some math here?

Im planning on buying a TT in the next few days. This is the combo I have. Just want to make sure of my maths..

2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.4liter 4X4 Overdrive
GVWR 6,750
Curb 5,110
Payload 1,640
GCWR 12,000 to 15,000 (depending on axle ratio. Dont know what it is)

Curt ECHO Smart Brake Controller Bluetooth

Husky WD hitch with sway control
Max Tongue 400 to 600lbs.
Max Trailer 6,00lbs

2019 Riverside Retro 189R 24' Dual axle.
Dry Weight 3,750 lbs
Cargo Weight 3,610 lbs
Hitch Weight 360 lbs
Axle Weight 3,500 lbs

Also, does that mean I can only add 140lbs of gear to the trailer?

Thanks for looking!
THeGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2022, 11:04 AM   #2

Well, something seems off; the dry weight is really light given the GVWR and the tongue weight is too light for the listed dry weight..... oh well, doesn't matter, the actual loaded trailer and tongue weights will be significantly higher.

Since they don't actually tell you the GVWR of the trailer, it's a bit muddy but typically the dry weight plus the "cargo weight" equals the GVWR so 3750 plus 3610 = 7,360 GVWR but that's huge cargo capacity. It has tandem axles so the 3500lb rating should be X2 for 7,000 lbs which makes sense with the 7,360 number (axles don't carry tongue weight).

Normally, I tell people to ignore the dry weight and use the GVWR as the max loaded weight and to use 12 - 15% tongue weight but if this TT is really only 3,750 lbs dry/empty, it would be hard to get to that 7,360 lb number...

Guessing, I'd use a loaded trailer weight of around 5,000 - 5,500 lbs and a tongue weight of 600 - 800 lbs.

That's my best guess but their spec info is very poorly stated

Dave
Old 10-25-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

I agree with Dave, the numbers seemed odd, but...

If you look at the brochure for the 189R, it shows an average SHIPPING WEIGHT as 3,750 pounds. Otherwise, the OP's numbers match the numbers on the brochure.

I would guess a typical tongue weight is going to be more like 600-700 pounds after you add two propane tanks, a battery, etc. to the tongue.
Old 10-25-2022, 01:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys.
I called the dealer and verified the numbers. The Dry Weight of 3,750 lbs is correct -ish. There is always room for errors, a few (hundred?) lbs here and there. But that is the complete ship weight with the propane tanks and battery. That means there is supposedly 3610lbs available cargo load out. (shrug)

A few things. All of the water tanks are in the back half of the trailer. It holds 39gal fresh water, 32 grey/17black . All of the appliances are sitting above the axles, and most of the cabinets are above or behind the axles. The bath is behind the axles. A little less than half of the front of the trailer is all open space walk around queen bed, maybe a 1/8th of total cabinet weight around it, with nothing underneath.

This trailer is going to be ass heavy no doubt. But it might explain why the hitch weight is so low. Ill guess that 80% or more of the weight is going to be above the axles and behind. But I dont have to fill the (300lb +) water tank all the way up. Anything I pack into it is going to go up front, lol. Im not even going to try to put in 3610lbs. Maybe 3 or 4 hundred with food a generator, other assorted stuff.

Thanks to your replies I got a idea on if my hitch will work. It comes with one but Id rather use the husky listed above. I just bought it and I know it. If I dont load it to the max my hitch will be fine.

Being said, now Im worried about tires. Ill have to look through the forums and find some 10ply to fit. If someone has suggestion let me know! Also maybe some ballast to put at the front end through and through to even tire wear and pressure.

On a side note, Im a commercial truck driver owner operator. I know about weight and balance. I dont know crap about TTs, lol. But you guys helped me out a lot!

A little about this trailer manufacturer.
The company was originally Riverside Travel Trailer. Not sure when it was founded. In 2017 is was acquired by Vohne Liche Manufacturing. Interesting side notes there if you care to look them up. There motto was "built military tough". They also trained military and police dogs! In 2018 the company was re acquired by Chinook Motor Coach. Supposedly they dumped in cash for re tooling. They now manufacture three different TT brands out of Indiana. Now you know about as much as I do. Its not well known but it looks like its well built.
Old 10-25-2022, 01:40 PM   #5

Be very careful if tail heavy, could lead to sway.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #6

Agree with bigb56. If you have sway that is most likely going to be your issue, not enough weight up front.

My knee jerk answer when I see a shipping weight of under 3,800 lbs. is yes your F-150 should tow that trailer without any issues. That is if the 2002 F-150 is not a rust bucket.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #7

Thanks big/tuff.
If the numbers are correct Ill keep it well below GVWR, balance it with weight up front, and my WD hitch comes with sway bars.

Wont know until I tow it. But Ill keep an eye on it. Im used to 53' trailers with bad anti lock breaks starting to go side ways, lol.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:04 PM   #8

Use this online calculator to accurately and safely match a tow vehicle and trailer.

FWIW, this is the best explanation of how to properly setup a weight distributing hitch I've ever read.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Use this online calculator to accurately and safely match a tow vehicle and trailer.

FWIW, this is the best explanation of how to properly setup a weight distributing hitch I've ever read.

Funny thing.
My manufacturer sticker on the pickup is so warn its unreadable. Was printed it plastic. Lots of guess work. While I can narrow it down to the most likely numbers, Ill never know exact.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeGAME View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.
I called the dealer and verified the numbers. The Dry Weight of 3,750 lbs is correct -ish. There is always room for errors, a few (hundred?) lbs here and there. But that is the complete ship weight with the propane tanks and battery. That means there is supposedly 3610lbs available cargo load out. (shrug)

A few things. All of the water tanks are in the back half of the trailer. It holds 39gal fresh water, 32 grey/17black . All of the appliances are sitting above the axles, and most of the cabinets are above or behind the axles. The bath is behind the axles. A little less than half of the front of the trailer is all open space walk around queen bed, maybe a 1/8th of total cabinet weight around it, with nothing underneath.

This trailer is going to be ass heavy no doubt. But it might explain why the hitch weight is so low. Ill guess that 80% or more of the weight is going to be above the axles and behind. But I dont have to fill the (300lb +) water tank all the way up. Anything I pack into it is going to go up front, lol. Im not even going to try to put in 3610lbs. Maybe 3 or 4 hundred with food a generator, other assorted stuff.

Thanks to your replies I got a idea on if my hitch will work. It comes with one but Id rather use the husky listed above. I just bought it and I know it. If I dont load it to the max my hitch will be fine.

Being said, now Im worried about tires. Ill have to look through the forums and find some 10ply to fit. If someone has suggestion let me know! Also maybe some ballast to put at the front end through and through to even tire wear and pressure.

On a side note, Im a commercial truck driver owner operator. I know about weight and balance. I dont know crap about TTs, lol. But you guys helped me out a lot!

A little about this trailer manufacturer.
The company was originally Riverside Travel Trailer. Not sure when it was founded. In 2017 is was acquired by Vohne Liche Manufacturing. Interesting side notes there if you care to look them up. There motto was "built military tough". They also trained military and police dogs! In 2018 the company was re acquired by Chinook Motor Coach. Supposedly they dumped in cash for re tooling. They now manufacture three different TT brands out of Indiana. Now you know about as much as I do. Its not well known but it looks like its well built.
Well, you are asking the right questions and aren't a newbie so that's all good. I would reiterate what I said about dry weights and dry tongue weights being fictitious numbers.....my trailer has a dry tongue weight advertised at 750 lbs but it's 1,280 loaded.

I don't like the looks of the tongue weight numbers and I agree with the previous posters regarding sway. The internet will tell you that 10% is enough and while I'll admit that every trailer is different, IME that number should be 12 - 15%. Use a Sherline tongue weight scale or run it over a CAT scale at least once to know.....don't be surprised when the numbers are different than what the manufacturer publishes...

good luck,

Dave
Old 10-25-2022, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Use a Sherline tongue weight scale or run it over a CAT scale at least once to know.....don't be surprised when the numbers are different than what the manufacturer publishes.
Dave

Ive got a CAT scale less than 17mi from here.
Was planning on doing that first thing.
Truck trailer combo, truck, then trailer alone.

Then there is sheer fantasy of the number listed, lol.

Ill keep it close.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeGAME View Post
Funny thing.
My manufacturer sticker on the pickup is so warn its unreadable. Was printed it plastic. Lots of guess work. While I can narrow it down to the most likely numbers, Ill never know exact.
All you need to know is your GVWR, the rest you can figure out at the CAT scale. As far as your gearing, you can use an online Ford VIN decoder or crawl underneath with a rag and look for the ID tag on one of the differential cover bolts. There's also an axle code on the door sticker but it sounds like yours may be illegible.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #13

My 1st travel trailer had around a 3,000b. cargo capacity. I towed it with a small truck (Honda Ridgeline) with paper paper plates and plastic ware trying to keep the weight low. Anyway I traded the Ridgeline on a F-150. I moved to correl plates and real silverware. Plus I added a Keurig coffee maker and more clothing. I figured I added about 800 lbs. The 2011 F-150 towed this trailer rock solid. No sway.

If you can keep your cargo around 1,000 lbs. You should have no issues. I figured I was towing 5,500lbs. You will be below that I would guess.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:55 PM   #14

No issues with a properly setup WDH with antisway.