Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2021, 06:02 AM   #1

Hensley Arrow Sway Control Hitch Assembly

Hello folks,

I am purchasing a 2022 Forest River Grey Wolf Model 26RR (its a Toy Hauler). I plan on attaching a Hensley Arrow Sway Control Hitch Assembly.

Go to https://hensleymfg.com/ and check it out if you are unfamiliar or watch this you tube video

I know the cost is a little high and have been told hooking up can be a little challenging, but to me it would be worth it if it increases being safe and the elimination of trailer sway.

I just wanted to see how many others out there are using this set-up and if you can provide some positive or negative input?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Danie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2021, 08:35 AM   #2

Whats your tow vehicle? If you're towing that TH with a 3/4 ton then I'd pass on the HA.
If you're using a 1/2 ton then if you have the coin then it won't be a waste of money. It still may not be necessary but it will make your combo handle great.
Most TH's have the axles further back to accommodate rear loading. That makes them track better.

I used one back in 2010-2012 with a 31', 7200 lb TT and a F150 145" WB.
It was one of the best towing setups I've had. Yes it was a PITA to hitch sometimes but the overall experience was great.
If you're going to be setting up camp on mostly uneven ground a lot then you'll probably get tired of the HA pretty fast. A backup tailgate cam is a must. Any out of level surface plays havoc when hitching so you'll be getting out of the truck a lot to make adjustments to the HA. If you have a helper then they'll need to understand how the HA works so they can help.
It can be grounds for divorce at times.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #3

Thumbs up Tow vehicle

[QUOTE=Cumminsfan;5891820]Whats your tow vehicle? If you're towing that TH with a 3/4 ton then I'd pass on the HA.
If you're using a 1/2 ton then if you have the coin then it won't be a waste of money. It still may not be necessary but it will make your combo handle great.
Most TH's have the axles further back to accommodate rear loading. That makes them track better.

My tow vehicle is a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Trail Boss 4x4 and yes it does have a tail gate cam.

I really appreciate the input, didn't realize the axles are further back on toy haulers.

Thanks for your response.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:55 AM   #4

I bought a Hensley a couple of years ago. I like mine real well. Last year I towed my trailer on an 8 hour trip. I aired my truck tires up to the max pressure on the side walls and it towed like a dream. Having a back up camera on the tail gate makes hooking up easy, especially if you have a zoom in option on the camera. And yes those hitches are pricey, but I feel that it was money well spent. Also I believe that they will give you a 60 day trial period, if you don't like it you can return it.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #5

Before you buy one of these hitches you should be aware of the two main types of stability problems associated with trailer towing, that is, trailer sway and tow vehicle oversteer. The Hensley hitch addresses only trailer sway. Usually, whatever you do to reduce trailer sway makes the oversteer problem worse and that is the case with this hitch. This is mainly due to the increased distance (almost 2') from the tow vehicle axle to the pivot point. Also, the 200 lb. weight of the hitch adds to the problem. Trailer sway makes for an uncomfortable towing situation but at the same time it warns you that there is a problem. Oversteer, on the other hand, gives little warning. Once it starts it can cause your rig to jackknife. I would rather have a rig that sways than one that is prone to oversteer.

The only way to eliminate both trailer sway and tow vehicle oversteer is to increase the size of your tow vehicle, reduce the size of your trailer, or reduce your towing speed. There is no hitch that can solve both problems at the same time.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:39 AM   #6

Is that from experience of using the Hensley Hitch? Out of everything I read reviews or otherwise, you are the first to mention this issue.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:26 AM   #7

I used a Hensley Hitch with a 28' Sunline trailer for 10 years. The Hensley Hitch is a great hitch and the trailer never had a hint of sway. If you get a Tongue Twister, it gives you the ability to adjust the trailer tongue position from left to right:

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-28100-Twi.../dp/B001Y8SREI

I was able to get a deal on a slightly used hitch that I purchased along with the trailer. I don't think I would have shelled out for a new one.

With the Hensley Hitch system, there's no issue with switching tow vehicles as all that is needed is the receiver on the tow vehicle, and a different stinger can be purchased if the receiver is higher or lower than the previous vehicle.

So, it is certainly a good hitch to go with. But, the question is whether another less expensive hitch would do the job. I used an Equalizer hitch with a Winnebago 2201DS trailer and the Equalizer hitch worked equally well.

I have no experience with toy haulers, but using a Hensley with one certainly seems like a good idea. And, down the road, a used Hensley can be sold for a pretty good price.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #8

I use a pro-pride 3p hitch. It's the newer updated, improved version of the Hensley.

I have a 2015 Denali 2500, towing a 13.5K lbs toyhauler.

Last month I was driving on the I-90 eastbound into Cleveland in a torrential downpour. I crossed bridge and where the concrete went back to pavement there was a huge puddle of deep water. The truck hydroplanned all 4 wheels about 3-4 feet to the left. I looked in the rear view mirror and the trailer never even wiggled.

My wife who earlier this spring had a hard time swallowing $3K for a trailer hitch, turned ghost white when it happend then gave me a high five when the trailer never even wiggled. She will never question the price of that hitch again.

I've never heard of the oversteer issue with all the research I did on the hensely/pro pride, unless one is refering to the hensely "bump" issue. That is simply a product of poor brake controller setup, when the truck brakes activate but there is a large delay in the trailer brakes activating and the trailer momentum slams the hitch to one side. If this happens when entering a curve, yes, it can create oversteer. But with a properly setup brake controller that will never happen.
Sv Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlavoie55 View Post
Is that from experience of using the Hensley Hitch? Out of everything I read reviews or otherwise, you are the first to mention this issue.
Ignore MOVEON he's against any type of WDH period.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #10

Hensley Arrow Sway Control Hitch Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Ignore MOVEON he's against any type of WDH period.

What he said. Moveon has never given a rational explanation for any of his comments. He has no clue.
Molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:40 AM   #11

Thanks, SV Todd. I am gonna check out ProPride also.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #12

I also ran the ProPride (same engineering principle as Hensley). We had a Expedition EL w/ 30' travel trailer and pretty much always ran right at GVWR. I would never tow a travel trailer again without it. Even if I owned a larger truck. It is that nice.

it is truly one of the only products that does exactly what is advertised. It is mechanically locked from swaying. Once you get used to the Stinger, I actually prefer it over the ball/coupler design as it is more flexible in hooking / unhooking.

Also, everyone always brings up the weight, but in reality it actually does not add any significant tongue weight. Imagine holding a wheel barrel holding 500lbs. Then putting 20lbs right in front of your hands, then move your hands away from the weight for better leverage. The Pro-Pride extends the distance from your trailer (which is by far the heaviest part). So even adding the extra weight of the hitch, it is offset by making the leverage arm a little longer from the really large mass.

Eric
ebenson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:31 AM   #13

Thanks to all...

Thanks ebenson24 and everyone that responded.

I have decided to go with the Hensley Arrow Anti-Sway Trailer Hitch. I have compared both the Hensley and the Pro-Pride. Both hitch assemblies offer the same features, but the Hensley is less expensive and easier to install.

I will possibly post more after installation and usage. I have not order the hitch assembly because I do not have an expected delivery date on my TT yet, Forest River stated it was still on the production line.

Until next time......
Old 09-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
I used to tow with the Hensley when we had a tow behind. Sold it when we went to a 5th wheel trailer. We have recently gone back to a tow behind trailer. Looked at both Hensley and ProPride.

Decided on the ProPride because you do not have to drill the frame on the trailer.
TexasPSDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch