Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2022, 06:18 AM   #1

Highway Speed

I am curious to know what “rules” each of you have for speed. I know this gets a lot of airtime in most forums but I wonder with fuel prices being what they are in conjunction with safety concerns and rig integrity how that’s affecting peoples driving habits. I have a F-350 SuperCrew Diesel with a 32’ Eagle HT travel trailer. I can pretty much hold whatever speed I choose but generally drive the posted limit; never more that 100 km/h (60 mph). I live in Northern Ontario so 90 km/h (55 mph) most of the time.
TheoMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2022, 06:33 AM   #2

Safety first... If a lot of people are passing you you are going to Slow. If people are passing you on the right "Move Over" ! If your passing a lot of people you are going too fast. Pay attention to the flow of traffic so your not "That Guy" and are creating an Unsafe condition for everybody else B/C you feel you can do what "YOU" want too...
Mr Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I drive a class A towing an SUV. My rig goes into 6th gear right around 60 and this is where I get my best millage over 50.

As long as 60 feels safe and keeps me from overtaking or puts me in clumps that's what I do even if the speeds limit is 70 or higher. In rolling hills I will let it run up to try to get some momentum for the next hill to try to stay in 6th.

Other than that I drive to stay out of clumps, keep plenty of space, and avoid overtaking anything that has a reasonable pace. I try not to get pressured to rush either by schedule or circumstances.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:08 AM   #4

I agree with Mr. Ted. I keep up with the right lane semi trucks. That speed is usually 68mph to 72 mph. At one time I had a too small truck that could only tow 60 to 62. That was terrible as semi's would change lanes pass me then get back in the right lane. I bought a bigger truck a short time after this trip.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I find 63 - 65 seems to be the speed of most big trucks and that's were you will find us. I think many fleets have governors for somewhere around there. Of course there is always trucks going faster.

I take advantage of the hills and build up momentum going down, but normally don' t exceed 75 and craw back up. Steep grades exhaust brake get turned just a little north of 70 mph.

I'm starting to think with the fuel prices of going 60 mph and pick about 4% on the mpg. My MH go's into it's top gear on flats at about 54 mph.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:25 AM   #6

I just go what feels the safest & best for my rig. Usually like to go with the flow, unless the flow is faster than what I am comfortable with. I usually average 65mph if I had to put a number on it.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:10 AM   #7

Safety first !

When we stared racing dirt wing mini sprint cars as a Young teen, my older friend was our crew chief and used his station wagon (he had six kids) and it had a vacuum gauge that had a color code for telling you how much throttle you're using which meant how much gas you're using. Pretty cool.
ZooOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
Safety first... If a lot of people are passing you, you are going to Slow. If people are passing you on the right "Move Over" ! .
Not always the case. Maybe they are going too fast. A section of I-10 west of Houston is under construction and has a reasonable 55 mph speed limit with the narrow lanes. Trucks (and cars) blast past you when you are driving 65 mph. They are running 70 mph plus in a posted 65 mph zone. No, they are traveling way too fast.

The maximum I travel with my rig is 65 mph. I keep to the right and have even had idiots pass me on the right shoulder. People just need to slow down and travel at a reasonable and safe speed.

RV does not stand for Race Vehicle.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:10 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm with the "stay to the right, stay with the trucks" crowd. If I wanted to get somewhere faster I shouldn't be driving the "A". Plus, I tow 2-up with a dolly, and I'm mindful that those little tow dolly tires work awful hard keeping up with the 22.5" RV tires <g> and their top end is in the 60-65mph range.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Not always the case. Maybe they are going too fast. A section of I-10 west of Houston is under construction and has a reasonable 55 mph speed limit with the narrow lanes. Trucks (and cars) blast past you when you are driving 65 mph. They are running 70 mph plus in a posted 65 mph zone. No, they are traveling way too fast.

The maximum I travel with my rig is 65 mph. I keep to the right and have even had idiots pass me on the right shoulder. People just need to slow down and travel at a reasonable and safe speed.

RV does not stand for Race Vehicle.

Ken
agreed.

Dave
Old 06-20-2022, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
Safety first... If a lot of people are passing you you are going to Slow. If people are passing you on the right "Move Over" ! If your passing a lot of people you are going too fast. Pay attention to the flow of traffic so your not "That Guy" and are creating an Unsafe condition for everybody else B/C you feel you can do what "YOU" want too...
Well stated. I would only add that you should have a rig that can safely keep up with traffic. The highest speed limit in the US is 80 MPH so your rig should be capable of that.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #12

Many years ago, when I started driving commercial long-haul truck, the company I worked for limited the top speed of our trucks to 62 miles per hour. I guess maybe after all those years of driving at that speed, I just feel comfortable operating in that range.

I have never found a need to go faster while towing a trailer or when driving my motorhome. I plan my trips to run at that speed, and there's no reason to think that the campground I reserved won't be where I expect it to be at the end of the day if I don't go faster.

Of course, keeping my engine running at the most efficient operating speed also helps with fuel mileage, which is a big deal now that diesel is pushing $6 per gallon.
1JetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Not always the case. Maybe they are going too fast.
If people have room to pass you on the right you should have room to move over and let them pass you on the left. Doesn't matter the speed, slower traffic stays right. If you are driving 100 MPH and a car comes up behind doing 101 that makes you "slower traffic"
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:31 AM   #14

I run 70 MPH with my Cruise control set and exhaust brake in auto. It maintains my speed up and down hill. I fell safe at that speed, trailer tires are rated at 87 MPH with TPMS on truck and trailer. I do run 65 MPH when towing with my friends because 70 MPH is to fast for him. Of course if the speed limit is slower i follow that. Now I have a F350 dually for my 41 ft fifth wheel. With my Ram 3500 SRW mega cab I ran 65 MPH.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote