Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #1

Hitch and Brake controller selection? *Help*

Hello All,

I am looking into purchasing a new travel trailer. At the dealership they informed me I needed a "Hitch and Brake" package which they could install for the low low price of $1200.

I didn't know what that meant, but it sounded pricey. After some research, I am come to conclude that it should NOT cost nearly as much.

I would like some recommendations on a proper Hitch for my vehicle as well a compatible brake controller.

My Ride:

As you can see I already have a hitch, but I can only logically assume it wasn't meant for towing a heavy trailer as it was installed for a Uhaul 12' trailer.

Desired Travel Trailer:
New 2016 Prime Time RV Avenger ATI 20RD
http://www.primetimerv.com/product-d...elID=1741#Main

Quote:
Specifications
Sleeps 4
Length 24 ft 11 in
Ext Width 8 ft
Ext Height 10 ft 3 in
Int Height 6 ft 10 in
Hitch Weight 510 lbs
Dry Weight 4256 lbs
Cargo Weight 3326 lbs

Fresh Water Capacity 48 gals
Grey Water Capacity 34 gals
Black Water Capacity 34 gals

Any and all input is warmly welcomed! Thanks!
FITGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #2

Edit:

I took a picture of the hitch, I don't know what classification it is, but it has the same gross max weight as the vehicle recommends. 6500lbs.

Does that mean it is sufficient?
Old 08-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #3

Well I am answer my own questions through research and browsing the internet.

I went with the TEKONSHA P3 BRAKE CONTROL

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._cart_vw_1_2_p

Now on the hunt for a Weight-distribution and anti-sway bar package.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITGuard View Post

I would like some recommendations on a proper Hitch for my vehicle as well a compatible brake controller

Hitch Weight 510 lbs
Dry Weight 4256 lbs
Cargo Weight 3326 lbs

That hitch weight is "dry" hitch weight. Ignore it and compute your own.

4256 + 3326 = 7582 GVWR. Your tongue weight is about 12% of gross trailer weight, which is about average. So estimate wet and loaded trailer weight of 7,000 pounds and tongue weight of 840 pounds.

That 840 pounds of hitch (tongue) weight is probably going to mean you'll exceed the GVWR of your tow vehicle when wet and loaded on the road.

So that's probably too much trailer for your tow vehicle unless you are extremely stingy in allowing any weight to be hauled in the trailer.

For your receiver hitch, note that 840 pounds of probable tongue weight above. So I'd want a receiver rated for at least 1,000 pounds hitch weight with a weight-distributing hitch. My choice would be the Reese Strait-Line trunnion bar hitch, with a 1,200-pound WD rating.
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP66084.html

DO NOT buy a cheap hitch. If it costs less than $500 online, complete with adjustable shank and sway control, then that's a cheap hitch.

For brake controller, I got along fine with a simple time-delay DrawTite Activator II for over 12 years towing an 8,000 pound trailer. But most folks prefer a proportional brake controller such as the Tekonsha Voyager or Prodigy.
http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...54WVEaGlY%7CzH

If Totoyota makes a factory "integrated trailer brake controller" (ITBC) for your Toy, that will probably be your best bet, but more expensive than the Activator II or Voyager.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITGuard View Post
Does that mean it is sufficient?
I can't read it, but if it says 975 pounds max hitch weight with a weight-distributing hitch, then i'd not worry about it.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
That hitch weight is "dry" hitch weight. Ignore it and compute your own.

4256 + 3326 = 7582 GVWR. Your tongue weight is about 12% of gross trailer weight, which is about average. So estimate wet and loaded trailer weight of 7,000 pounds and tongue weight of 840 pounds.

That 840 pounds of hitch (tongue) weight is probably going to mean you'll exceed the GVWR of your tow vehicle when wet and loaded on the road.

So that's probably too much trailer for your tow vehicle unless you are extremely stingy in allowing any weight to be hauled in the trailer.

For your receiver hitch, note that 840 pounds of probable tongue weight above. So I'd want a receiver rated for at least 1,000 pounds hitch weight with a weight-distributing hitch. My choice would be the Reese Strait-Line trunnion bar hitch, with a 1,200-pound WD rating.
Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66084

DO NOT buy a cheap hitch. If it costs less than $500 online, complete with adjustable shank and sway control, then that's a cheap hitch.

For brake controller, I got along fine with a simple time-delay DrawTite Activator II for over 12 years towing an 8,000 pound trailer. But most folks prefer a proportional brake controller such as the Tekonsha Voyager or Prodigy.
Tekonsha - VoyagerŪ

If Totoyota makes a factory "integrated trailer brake controller" (ITBC) for your Toy, that will probably be your best bet, but more expensive than the Activator II or Voyager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I can't read it, but if it says 975 pounds max hitch weight with a weight-distributing hitch, then i'd not worry about it.
Thanks for the information. I am going to get a weight disty kit with welded anti-sway bars. They quoted me $635 installed.

Apparently the weight disty kit is welded not cast, which apparently means better (according to the company offering to install it).

Thanks again for your help!

Tags
brake