Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #15

Last time I bought gravel I paid a few bucks extra and had the yard deliver it - the driver dumped it right where I needed it and all I had to do was level it out. Is delivery available in your area?
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #16

Humm - I never considered dilevery for such a small amount. I will check but usually they want to sell 5 tons before they deliver. But can't hurt to check. I think the Home Depot dump trailer rental is going to be kind of expensive. I would rather pay them to deliver it and keep me out of the mix as much as possible.

I had 22 tons delivered to my camp area that was getting muddy. That same place said 5 ton minimum delivery.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am thinking of renting one of Home Depots Dump Trailers to get 2 ton of decretive stone for landscaping. I would only be towing 15 miles on secondary roads.

I was not going to post here but thought maybe I am overlooking something. Is it as simple as driving to the stone place. Have a few buckets from a skid loader dumped into the trailer, get weighed, pay and drive to the house and start unloading it?

Right now I am thinking decorative stone or rubber mulch.

yes and find some strong young adults to spread it . 2 tons of stone is ALOT of hoeing and raking
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Humm - I never considered dilevery for such a small amount. I will check but usually they want to sell 5 tons before they deliver. But can't hurt to check. I think the Home Depot dump trailer rental is going to be kind of expensive. I would rather pay them to deliver it and keep me out of the mix as much as possible.

I had 22 tons delivered to my camp area that was getting muddy. That same place said 5 ton minimum delivery.
At my local place the small dump truck (5 yards) if you are close is 70 to 80 bucks delivery fee plus the price of whatever material you want to load in it. It is worth checking into.

I will also say getting a dump trailer changed the way I view the world. Something to think about.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #19

My local place charges $35.00 per delivery.
allenb12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:22 AM   #20

jjackrash - lol, if I had a dump trailer no telling what I would do. My place would be crazy landscaped. Probably my front yard would look like a jungle with multi fountains and decorative stones everywhere. Actually it is better that I don't have a dump trailer....lol.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Back in my earliest driving days, driving dump trucks (Mack B61 10-wheelers - yeah, it was that long ago), we'd request stone by the ton. You'd have to tell the wheel loader operator or asphalt plant operator how much you wanted in tons, not yards. It may have been a local thing, but you should know about how much you want in both yards and tons (just in case) so you don't end up with a flattened trailer.
Did that B61 had a quad box transmission?
gmacecsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:26 PM   #22

Check with Home Depot. They have people that they can call that will deliver for them.
My first semi a 1959 B61 s thermodyne engine and a full quad trans. 28 foot dump trailer.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #23

Some yards have trailers available for customers. Mulch, bark, DG, can also be delivered and blown into place. Photo was 10 yards of mulch for $400, put right where I wanted it, swept clean and I never lifted a finger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	464063AB-B257-4FC9-B5EF-5041BA2D9805.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	279158  
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #24

Coronavirus is putting the a hold on the U.S. and me. Now I am going to wait until things are more back to normal. I will ask if they can deliver 2 tons of decorative stone. If not, not sure where I would put 5 tons of stone if that is the minimum amount they will deliver.

Initially I was thinking of just the front yard but I could expand to side and back yards and use more stone.

But if I keep projects small they have a better chance of getting done.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacecsko View Post
Did that B61 had a quad box transmission?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
My first semi a 1959 B61 s thermodyne engine and a full quad trans. 28 foot dump trailer.
Sure did. Quad box and Thermodyne, which kept you really busy when loaded, naturally aspirated though I think there were turbo'd versions too. It was a 10 yard dump truck, which I also took my Class 2 test in (equivalent to Class B today, but long before the CDL even existed).

R-models with 237 hp Maxidynes and 5-speed boxes were a God-send. Took my Class 1 (Class A today) test in one of those, with a steel dump trailer.

Maybe I'm getting old, but it's good to see others who've lived the experience. Air starters, no spring brakes, "Wet/Dry" air brake settings - good times.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:00 AM   #26

In my area of Pennsylvania we had what us kids called 'coal trucks'. Later we called them tri-axle trucks. It is my understanding these trucks can carry 20 tons of stone or coal or dirt.

Are these the trucks you guys are talking about?
Old 03-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #27

Quote:
In my area of Pennsylvania we had what us kids called 'coal trucks'. Later we called them tri-axle trucks. It is my understanding these trucks can carry 20 tons of stone or coal or dirt.

Back in the day, a 10-wheeler like the B61 dump trucks I drove were only good to something like 53,000 lb. A triaxle, like the R-model Mack below (the third 'pusher' axle was an aftermarket item) were good to something like 58,000 lb, due to the extra axle. I'm educated-guessing at the weights here. 18-wheelers were limited to 73,000 lb at the time, if memory serves, but since bumped to 80,000.

So 40,000 lb of coal plus truck would probably have required a triaxle to be legal, unless it had a lightweight aluminium dump body. Many trucks had 44,000 and even 55,000 lb rear axle pairs, but nobody was weighing local trucks back then.

Oh, and notice the spoked wheels. Much easier to change a flat than Budd dish wheels, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B61 Mack.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	279202   Click image for larger version

Name:	R-Model Mack Triaxle.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	279203  

Old 03-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

I grew up in Williamsport PA and remember watching the coal truck dumping coal down a chute into our basement.

Where did you live?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer