Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 06:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Besides, 16,500 lbs of pay load (not including trailer) is alot of weight to put on or towed by a RV.
Good points. I'm thinkin' that 16500 lb number most likely was a gross combined (GCW). It take a large trailer to have a 16500 lb payload.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 08:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Good points. I'm thinkin' that 16500 lb number most likely was a gross combined (GCW). It take a large trailer to have a 16500 lb payload.

A trailer that can haul 16500 lb needs to have 3-7k axles or 2-10k dual axles. Try towing that behind a RV! When I put a 20k lb steel coil (35k,GCW) on that deck, it was all my Chevy Duramax dually wanted to handle.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:54 PM   #31

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Most commercial loads require a mill $ liability insurance policy which cost about $10,000/year. Then the truck/RV needs to be DOT inspected and subjected to weigh station stops, random level 1,2,3 inspections, log book restrictions, IFTA requirements. Then you need to find loads that can meet your size and weight limits.

https://workamper.com/
And there is legislation in the works to boost the insurance to $10m.
Then there are the Shippers, that when they see you pull up in an RV with a trailer in tow.. with a plethora of reasons...WILL REFUSE to load you..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #32

Understand the OP's interest to simply hot shot to offset some travel expenses by taking gigs along the way.

I have a 24' RV that came with an 8,000 lb. hitch. Might be enough as it comes from the factory to drag along some paying loads.

It has a tried and true V-10 that is also used in much longer and heavier coaches. That might be a possible package. Lots of them available at various prices. It has a 55 gallon gas tank for good range.

Get a lightweight trailer and choose your loads carefully. Smart guy can make it work.

Keep your speeds low and plan your route.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:13 PM   #33

I once saw, back in 2013 or so, a Dynamax or Dynaquest Super C that had an Honest-I-Kid-You-Not Fifth Wheel on the back. I dont know what model, but was on a Freightliner chassis, was Dark Maroon in Color with a black (not tan) roof. Was just driving by, and looked like the 'pickup bed' area was as wide as the coach and maybe 5ft long. I would think would be plenty long enough for a Fifth Wheel Slider. Pretty far behind the axle, I can just imagine it being a royal PITA trying to make a right hand turn. Likely overlength in a lot of states too.

Tried to find model floorplan, never could. Figured it was a toyhauler that was customized to pull a fifth wheel trailer of some sort. No, didn't see trailer attached.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #34

Ok, first most hot shot freight is carrying medium weight construction supplies, A/Cs, duct work, etc. you are not going to get any kind of RV into to construction site to unload without tearing something up or getting stuck. Most hot shoters use 4WD heavy duty pickups for that reason. Most loads are not heavy but are very bulky which is why hot shot trailers are the size they are, the biggest bumper pull trailer you’re going to get behind a RV will be a 24-26’ car hauler. As a commercial carrier you will be subject to ICC regulations, inspections, hours of operation etc.. you’ve got a great idea but that’s all you’ve got. You’re not going to get and older RV that can pass DOT inspections that are very stringent, you have to purchase your fuel permits, and commercial insurance. My advice is to get a copy of all the DOT rules and regulations and do some serious studying and thinking. When I drove semi I often thought about becoming an owner operator, but after talking with several OOs I decided I just didn’t want the expense and hassle to be one. Try this, go to a truck stop and watch to see one of those big fancy Peterbilt trucks pull in and when the driver goes inside to eat offer to buy his meal and spend time asking him about what it costs to be an owner operator because that is what you’ll be, better yet do that with a hot shotter and tell him your plan, but don’t be surprised if he sprays food all over you when you tell him your idea. You are on the wrong site to be asking your questions unless you come across an experienced hand that’s retired.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #35

Do you want to haul NEW or used trailers?

My worry is you find something that has capacity and then no one want to hire you and or your expected to make circles back to the factory and not sure how fun that will be for you.

If you planning on new then I would talk to them first.

IF your just going to get a trailer and go for then I think you might be better off and it won't really matter what you have as long as the load fits.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueZ View Post
Ok... newbie here. Boyfriend has a CDL license and we are at a place where we'd like to travel but supplement with some income. Our idea is to do hotshotting using an RV so we can take a paying load to an area, take some time to enjoy it, then grab a new paying load heading to another interesting spot.

We would be happy just making enough to pay for gas and expenses and can live off lighter loads on the broker boards.

My boyfriend has given me the mission of figuring out the best, most affordable RV that would still give us the most tow capacity. I see that Super C's have the most, but they are also big and expensive... their own weight eating up much of that GVWR.

Is there a smaller, Regular Class C that still uses a big engine and heavy duty transmission and drive train?

I saw one guy who modified a used Class C he got for under $15k and hugely increased his tow capacity. He spent another $5k but that would still be more affordable than a Super C. We just don't need that kind of size and luxury.

Any ideas from the experts on here? What models and brands to look for... how to modify to increase tow capacity, etc?
I should think you are really looking for a Toterhome. Best of both worlds - RV and tow rig. Just do a google search. One comes to mind, but many nice used rigs out there with a lot of tow life left in them.

http://www.truckconversion.net/forums/
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
You can’t increase towing capacity beyond the rated capacity provided by the manufacturer. End of discussion.

Buy something that is rated to tow what you intend to tow.
Super C is your only safe way to go.
shoalsgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #38

I have a friend that hot shots using a Class A DP to pull a bumper hitch trailer. Some Class A's are rated to 20k, my Class A is rated at 15k.

I would look for an older Renegade Super C or equivalent. Some are rated to 40k and at 10-15 yo with little or no miles for a Class 8.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #39

I would like to hear more about this friend that hot shots in a class A. It sure don't sound practical! Was he a commercial hauler or just a one time under the radar haul/load?
If he got paid and he was not under a commercial licenses, then he was illegal hauling. Just don't get caught, the DOT knows what to look for to catch these operators!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
You can’t increase towing capacity beyond the rated capacity provided by the manufacturer. End of discussion.
Not arguing this, only clarifying. Is this true?
SavageCatHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:43 PM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageCatHV View Post
Not arguing this, only clarifying. Is this true?

The manufacturer's recommended GVWR and GCVWR are exactly that: recommendations.

There are no "legal" issues with these mfg. weight rating recommendations. The only binding weight rating is that of the tire. You need to be under the tire's maximum sidewall load. There are some maximum axle load limits, but these are not vehicle specific.

Increasing the towing capacity of your vehicle can be costly and involved. Not every shop can do this. It is generally more effective to replace the vehicle than to significantly increase its ratings.
journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:22 PM   #42

Super tow vehicle cheap and with potential URGENT grab it

Here is a perfect rig to convert into a money making machine it would seem!

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/rv...225527046.html

I was thinking wow what an earth roamer ready rig with a lift for motorcycle or small offroader rig too!