RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2020, 01:03 AM   #1

Hot shotting using an RV?

Ok... newbie here. Boyfriend has a CDL license and we are at a place where we'd like to travel but supplement with some income. Our idea is to do hotshotting using an RV so we can take a paying load to an area, take some time to enjoy it, then grab a new paying load heading to another interesting spot.

We would be happy just making enough to pay for gas and expenses and can live off lighter loads on the broker boards.

My boyfriend has given me the mission of figuring out the best, most affordable RV that would still give us the most tow capacity. I see that Super C's have the most, but they are also big and expensive... their own weight eating up much of that GVWR.

Is there a smaller, Regular Class C that still uses a big engine and heavy duty transmission and drive train?

I saw one guy who modified a used Class C he got for under $15k and hugely increased his tow capacity. He spent another $5k but that would still be more affordable than a Super C. We just don't need that kind of size and luxury.

Any ideas from the experts on here? What models and brands to look for... how to modify to increase tow capacity, etc?
SueZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 03:55 AM   #2

Humm, the hot shot drivers I watch on youtube all use a gooseneck connection and not a bumper pull trailer. Any RV I can think of would be a bumper pull.

Maybe buy a used heavy duty truck with a nice sleeper cab. That way you have an ok place to stay plus a heavy duty tractor trailer type truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:16 AM   #3

How heavy of a load are you looking at?

(Load and trailer separately, actually.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #4

I think a Super C is going to be your best bet, they have been out long enough that you should be able to find a 10-15 year old model with 10,000 pound towing capacity for a price that will not break the bank. A quick search online shows several 12-15 year old Super C's in the $50,000 or less price range.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Why not just get a big semi tractor with a nice cab you can spend a few nights in and then you can pull just about anything you want?
Old 10-26-2020, 03:48 AM   #6

To answer questions... My boyfriend has spent years in tractor trailers and is tired of confinement. We primarily will be doing this for pleasure so want comfort of RV. Plus will have family pets with us.

Yes, we could go gooseneck but there are plenty of hot shotters out there my boyfriend sees with reg trailers. Because we can be picky about loads we can look for lighter loads under 5000 lbs if need be, but certainly under 10k.

If we have to we will go Super C... I was just hoping there might be an "engineer brain" out there who, also being on a budget, might have already solved this issue for themselves. The one guy I saw who modified for under $20k was able to tow the weight of an SUV and boat. That's more capacity than we would need.

But personally I do love the Super C's and would be happy for an excuse to go the luxury route, lol.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:51 AM   #7

That said, Isaac, where are best places online to look for what we need and anyone have recommendations for make and model best for towing?
Old 10-26-2020, 04:01 AM   #8

The super 'C' is the best option then. But another option might be a class 'A' diesel pusher. Typically these can tow 10,000lbs. But look at tag axle class 'A' and towing I think goes to 15,000lbs.

I have not priced them in a long while but thinking a 2004 - 2006 might be in your budget.

In my observation when I towed my 5th wheel with a dually truck I passed all types of motorhomes. Only one type ever passed me...that was the tag axle class 'A'.

I would start with RV Trader then maybe Lazy Days near Tampa.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:13 AM   #9

If you're talking about under 10k lbs, you should easily find Class C's that can do that. You'd want to do the normal beefing up of suspension components and making sure your trailer brakes are great - lots of threads on this forum about both - and you'll want one of the bigger engines available, but it's do-able.

It would be much more fun with a Super-C, of course . . .

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:04 AM   #10

A "regular" class C at it's highest capacity is only built on the E450 chassis. The max tow rating that I know of is 7,500 at max GCWR. Then you're pulling with an engine and transmission that is really maxed out with towing at the high end. So, even stripped down and a beefed chassis where needed (probably rear rails / hitch area), you'll be marginal at best in power and reliability towing loads near max. A Super C would give you many options above a regular C. Not just being built on a truck chassis, but engine options also. Personally I'd look for a nice used super C or race hauler like a Featherlite. Some of them are set up to tow 20K, they are not as "fancy" in the RV department but some are pretty close to a luxury RV...all depends on price. I feel spending a bit more $$ on the front end will be wiser in the long run as the E450 chassis and driveline will cost you in the long run to upkeep it to haul heavy loads. Also, the maneuverability of a truck chassis is much better as the wheel cut is generally dramatically better than the traditional class C. Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2020, 06:20 AM   #11

There is no one right answer on what is the best way to find a good deal on a used motorhome. My advice is get into a daily routine of checking the online classifieds, and when you see an add pop up for something that looks like a good prospect contact the seller for more information immediately. Here is a list of a few you may want to check out:

First the classifieds here at IRV2, advantage these may be active forum members who may have posted dozens to hundreds of messages about what they have done to / with the coach, the disadvantage is the relatively low volume of ads

RV Trader, High volume of usually detailed ads as these are paid classifieds where sellers tend to put some effort into writing the ad and including photos. Disadvantage it seems rare to find great deals here.

Facebook marketplace, more and more people listing RV's for sale here lately, real bargains seem to be showing up, though here the quality of the ad is often lacking often with poor descriptions, limited photos, etc. Disadvantage is that the ads are all jumbled together (trailers and motorhomes listed together), lack of sorting categories, even rental ads being mixed in with sales.

Craigslist, similar issues as facebook marketplace, plus lots and lots of scams, though deals can still be found here, in fact I bought my current coach based on a craigslist ad in 2016 in Florida a thousand miles away.

Finally there are dedicated owners group / club forums out there for many brands, some of which have their own classifieds ads, advantage is similar to the IRV2 classifieds, down side is sorting though all the varies brand specific web forums.

p.s. keep in mind asking prices are often 20%-30% higher than selling prices in normal times, though with the current covid RV crazes all bets are off.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
I had a Super C before I had my Safari, then now I have a TT. If you get a Super C, don't get a Thor 33SW - run, don't walk. Maybe the other Thor models are better, but the combination of a full-wall slide with Schwintek slides was a very bad combination.

Have you considered maybe a redneck hauler? They are really common around here.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #13

I hot shotted from 2009 to 2012 and used a gooseneck trailer with a 20,000 lb payload. Most commercial loads require a mill $ liability insurance policy which cost about $10,000/year. Then the truck/RV needs to be DOT inspected and subjected to weigh station stops, random level 1,2,3 inspections, log book restrictions, IFTA requirements. Then you need to find loads that can meet your size and weight limits.
I only can assume you have seen the show series "Shipping Wars". There is some truth to the low profits and many problems they experienced!
If you want to experience the USA and travel, then try "Workamping".
https://workamper.com/
grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueZ View Post

I saw one guy who modified a used Class C he got for under $15k and hugely increased his tow capacity. He spent another $5k but that would still be more affordable than a Super C. We just don't need that kind of size and luxury.

Any ideas from the experts on here? What models and brands to look for... how to modify to increase tow capacity, etc?
You canít increase towing capacity beyond the rated capacity provided by the manufacturer. End of discussion.

Buy something that is rated to tow what you intend to tow.