Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2019, 10:56 PM   #29

[QUOTE=Jshopes81;4790285]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post

Ya? And? Unicorn farts to make people feel better. Also the reason i wont own a diesel newer than 07. The emissions garbage is a bunch of smoke an mirrors. Ive also never seen anyone do more than a visual and obd scan, which would be required to catch most delete kits.
My 2005 Powerstroke messed with my Asthma. I couldn't load the truck with it Idling. It's tailpipe was sooty black.

My 2017 Powerstroke doesn't smell, smoke, or bother my lungs. It's tailpipe is nice shiney stainless.

So, maybe it's not actually some grand conspiracy, and you simply don't understand the whole story?

I'd never go back to a pre-emissions truck.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 11:18 PM   #30

[QUOTE=mrgrayaz;4790294]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post

My 2005 Powerstroke messed with my Asthma. I couldn't load the truck with it Idling. It's tailpipe was sooty black.

My 2017 Powerstroke doesn't smell, smoke, or bother my lungs. It's tailpipe is nice shiney stainless.

So, maybe it's not actually some grand conspiracy, and you simply don't understand the whole story?

I'd never go back to a pre-emissions truck.
You shouldnt be idling your truck like that anyway. Its not good for it. My 03 powerstroke has the egr delete and cat delete, factory tune. The tip is shiny chrome too. Your 06 had an egr and a cat. If you were deleted you were also tuned to keep the cel off. My 03 never smokes, even when i get after it. No rolling coal for me.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:13 AM   #31

[QUOTE=Jshopes81;4790309]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post

You shouldnt be idling your truck like that anyway. Its not good for it. My 03 powerstroke has the egr delete and cat delete, factory tune. The tip is shiny chrome too. Your 06 had an egr and a cat. If you were deleted you were also tuned to keep the cel off. My 03 never smokes, even when i get after it. No rolling coal for me.
So you think manufacturers spend millions researching, fabricating and installing extra unneeded parts like EGR, DEf SCR (catalyst) all for the goal of making things less reliable and more expensive huh? I think you need to step away from the (deleted) tailpipe.

There are literally tens of thousands of emissions tests proving the usefullness of these devices. While you can't necessarily feel or touch the difference right off the bat, it is proven how harmful the delete kits are for humans.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:52 AM   #32

[QUOTE=kdauto;4790338]
Quote:

So you think manufacturers spend millions researching, fabricating and installing extra unneeded parts like EGR, DEf SCR (catalyst) all for the goal of making things less reliable and more expensive huh? I think you need to step away from the (deleted) tailpipe.

There are literally tens of thousands of emissions tests proving the usefullness of these devices. While you can't necessarily feel or touch the difference right off the bat, it is proven how harmful the delete kits are for humans.
If the tailpipe were deleted there wouldnt be a tailpipe to step back from. No, i dont believe those studies, and no i dont think its the auto industry making themselves do it. Im sure you wouldnt want folks deleting. A vehicle that is more reliable isnt better for the mechanic or the manufacturer.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #33

[QUOTE=Jshopes81;4790346]
Quote:

If the tailpipe were deleted there wouldnt be a tailpipe to step back from. No, i dont believe those studies, and no i dont think its the auto industry making themselves do it. Im sure you wouldnt want folks deleting. A vehicle that is more reliable isnt better for the mechanic or the manufacturer.
Umm, it's not "studies", it's emissions TESTS with numbers and results and stuff on them. Ignoring measured scientific data is like sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming " lalalalala" at the top of your lungs.

So you DO seem to think OEMs are adding this "****" to make them unreliable. Wow, just wow.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #34

Deleting has other consequences

For the "delete" crowd...

Let's say you have a 2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke (chosen because it's a popular model and many folks get delete kits installed). You get the thing ''professionally?" deleted. 1st thing is you most likely voided your powertrain warranty. 2nd thing is if you have an issue that forces you to either replace certain control modules (ECM and/or TCM), or diagnostics lead to needing a reflash of said modules the OEM software (Ford IDS) will not allow programming to follow through is certain components are missing or deleted from the "performance tuning". I just consulted with a colleague that sees this regularly. He can force some transmission programming through but cannot get the most recent updates installed. For the ECM side you are SOL until all original components are hooked up again.

Updates and issues like this are not uncommon. Is it worth the hassle?
Old 05-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #35

Quote:
For the "delete" crowd...

Let's say you have a 2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke (chosen because it's a popular model and many folks get delete kits installed). You get the thing ''professionally?" deleted. 1st thing is you most likely voided your powertrain warranty. 2nd thing is if you have an issue that forces you to either replace certain control modules (ECM and/or TCM), or diagnostics lead to needing a reflash of said modules the OEM software (Ford IDS) will not allow programming to follow through is certain components are missing or deleted from the "performance tuning". I just consulted with a colleague that sees this regularly. He can force some transmission programming through but cannot get the most recent updates installed. For the ECM side you are SOL until all original components are hooked up again.

Updates and issues like this are not uncommon. Is it worth the hassle?
Its not a hassle if your "professional" knows what theyre doing.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Its not a hassle if your "professional" knows what theyre doing.
Yeah? Pretend you have the above mentioned truck and your ECM craps out, or an issue forces reflashing the ECM to an updated version. So, you have to grab up all electronic components, hook them all back up, remove that tuner software you have, flash the ECM and/or TCM, remove all devices again and reinstall tuner software. All this is with the hope the tuner software didn't cause your issue in the 1st place or won't remove the important coding the software updates corrected.

It's all backwards thinking for a street vehicle. Race or offroad vehicle,even specialty work vehicle I can understand.

I could yank the catalytic converters off my truck and program a bunch of stuff differently and probably gain 1 MPG and maybe 30 HP and equal amount of torque. Do you think OEMs are letting these HP and torque numbers fall for the fun of it or due to emissions regs?
Old 05-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #37

Quote:
Yeah? Pretend you have the above mentioned truck and your ECM craps out, or an issue forces reflashing the ECM to an updated version. So, you have to grab up all electronic components, hook them all back up, remove that tuner software you have, flash the ECM and/or TCM, remove all devices again and reinstall tuner software. All this is with the hope the tuner software didn't cause your issue in the 1st place or won't remove the important coding the software updates corrected.

It's all backwards thinking for a street vehicle. Race or offroad vehicle,even specialty work vehicle I can understand.

I could yank the catalytic converters off my truck and program a bunch of stuff differently and probably gain 1 MPG and maybe 30 HP and equal amount of torque. Do you think OEMs are letting these HP and torque numbers fall for the fun of it or due to emissions regs?
Who unhooked any of the electronics to begin with? Why would you do that? Why are you having a hard time with tuner software? No wonder you think its a big deal, youre doing it the hardest way imagineable.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Who unhooked any of the electronics to begin with? Why would you do that? Why are you having a hard time with tuner software? No wonder you think its a big deal, youre doing it the hardest way imagineable.
https://www.dirtydieselcustom.ca/pro...BoCmFcQAvD_BwE

You think a kit like this is a simple plug and play? You are not physically removing devices and replacing with "race" products? You really think a few keyboard strokes with no parts swapping can net 150HP gains and no extra pollution?
Old 05-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #39

Quote:
https://www.dirtydieselcustom.ca/pro...BoCmFcQAvD_BwE

You think a kit like this is a simple plug and play? You are not physically removing devices and replacing with "race" products? You really think a few keyboard strokes with no parts swapping can net 150HP gains and no extra pollution?
Holy smokes youre way off base here. Go get yourself educated and come back after youve done your homework. The only part you would have to physically alter is the dpf. The dpf can be cut out and removed or gutted and put back in place to appear stock. Most guys i know will run stock until something clogs and then delete. You do NOT have to run a big tune to delete. You can even set up the ecm so the truck doesnt even know its deleted.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Holy smokes youre way off base here. Go get yourself educated and come back after youve done your homework. The only part you would have to physically alter is the dpf. The dpf can be cut out and removed or gutted and put back in place to appear stock. Most guys i know will run stock until something clogs and then delete. You do NOT have to run a big tune to delete. You can even set up the ecm so the truck doesnt even know its deleted.
Yeah, 34 years of professional auto repair, I've only fixed tens of thousands of vehicles, seen lots of "tuner" stuff and removed a lot. I guess I really need to be "learned".

I don't need to do any homework if I never plan on defeating emissions systems and devices illegally now do I.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #41

I fill the DEF before I start a big trip. Usually I don't have to add but if the system gets low the dash displays a warning message with how many miles of DEF I have left, usually 600 miles, so it's never an emergency to fill the tank. I usually have a spare jug onboard the trailer.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #42

Quote:
That's a fact
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid