Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #1

How many miles before a rebuild on F350?

My wife found this ad for a 1990 F350 7.3 diesel non turbo, rebuilt tranny....but has 208,000 on her.

Isn't it typical that these diesel's are good for about 300,000, And then may need to be rebuild?
Asking price 3K.

For this price, I may just grab it to haul materials we will be purchasing during the restoration process of our trailer, but we are still looking for something to haul our baby.
We wouldn't mind having this if this would handle the trailer safely and a rebuild or conversion wouldn't cost too much.
We are still exploring avenues

Here is a pic.

77 Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #2

No one drives or has had an F350
Old 01-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #3

Be patient
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #4

Won't pull much without turbo. Used 7.3 turbo engines are going for about $7,500 in the midwest.Costly rebuild.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The "OBS" Ford diesel experts hang out on www.thedieselstop.com, in the forum for trucks with 7.3L IDI engines. I've been a moderator on that website for 12 years, but I spend most of my time in the '99-up fourms. OBS = old body style. e.g., before the '99 SuperDuty body style. Here's my limited knowledge in a nutshell:

The 1990 Ford 7.3L diesel in a dually pickup didn't have much power, but it would run "forever" if properly maintained. Slow, but it would get you there. A minimum of 300,000 miles before anything expensive in the engine had to be replaced. And a lot of them achieved 400,000 to 500,000 miles or more before the first overhaul. The automagic tranny was the weak point. The first engine-related thing to go was usually injectors, but they can be replaced without tearing down the engine.

Most of the IDI aficionados modified their engines with better injectors, and added turbos and intercoolers (charge air coolers) to produce more power and torque for towing heavy loads. A nice looking truck like the one you're looking at has probably been modified. Mild modification doesn't reduce longivity or durability of that engine, as long as some idjit didn't use it as a sled puller or other abuse of the engine.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #6

Thank you for the information, I think we will pass on this one.

We are looking for a 1 ton crew cab dually the to pull our trailer. We do not want something new, maybe around 1990 to maybe 95 F350 Diesel. We are totally new to diesel engines and have some learning to do before we just go buy one, so I thought I would start asking away.

If you have any tips to help us out while we search, it would be greatly appreciated.

It would sure be nice to find an 1985 Dodge 1 ton crew cab with a cummins conversion, but those seem to be hard to find.

While I am on the subject of the F350, what years between 1990 and lets say 1997 would considered to be the best puller?

Thanks again for the responses!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #7

I had a 1993 F250 4X4 super cab long bed. 7.3 Non Turbo automatic. It would cruise 65 mph all day long and not even break a sweat. Put a load on it and that was another story.

I now have a 2000 F250crew cab auto 4X4. This is a whole nuther truck!

The 7.3 is a workhorse but without a Turbo, it just can't get to its potential.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Spartan View Post
While I am on the subject of the F350, what years between 1990 and lets say 1997 would considered to be the best puller?
1990 through 1994.5 were IDIs (indirect injection) without turbo. Simple, but low power. Around 1994 for a very short time Ford built an IDI with a turbo. Better, but still an IDI. But the good ones were the '94.5-'97 PowerStrokes. Those were direct injection (DI) with a factory turbo. Even better were the '99-'03 7.3L PowerStrokes. They not only had the turbo, they also had what the man on the street called an intercooler for increased power and torque. The so-called intercooler was actually a charge air cooler, but only a techy would appreciate the difference.

The '94.5 PowerStrokes are rare. And not many of the '95 models available either. '96 and '97 models are plentiful, especially the '97 which were in production for about a year and a half until November 1997. There is no such thing as a '98 Ford diesel pickup. Ford stopped production of the '97 OBS trucks in November, then converted the Kentucky Truck Plant (KTP) to produce the "new body style" '99 SuperDuty beginning in late December 1997.

If I wanted an OBS Ford, I'd look for a '97. But realize those are all at least 15 years old now. At a low average of 15,000 miles per year, that's 225,000 miles. So finding one with only 225,000 miles on it would be a real find.

The '99 SuperDuty was a runaway best seller, and they were in production for almost 18 months. The assembly plant was running 20 hours per day 7 days per week, and the wait was still up to 6 months if you ordered one in the spring of 1998. So they are more plentiful than the '97.

Without changing model years, Ford made major changes in the engine effective December 1998, so the diesel nuts on TheDieselStop divide the '99 into "early 1999" and '99.5. I waited until the start-up bugs were out of the system and the '99.5 was on the street a coupla months, then ordered a '99.5 in April, 1999. It arrived in early June, 1999. I drove it for over 11 years and 197,000 mostly towing miles before I sold it last year.

If I wanted an old diesel pickup, I'd look for a '99.5 thru 2003 7.3L. with a heavy duty rebuilt automagic tranny such as a BTS (Brian's Truck Shop). 2003 7.3Ls with less than 200,000 miles and a BTS or John Wood rebuilt automagic tranny are in high demand, so they sell for a lot more than they should. I popped off and told a friend he could have my 4x2 CrewCab XLT for $10,000, and he bought it in a heartbeat. Then I realized I should have kept it.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #9

Hi Smokey Wren!

I still have the 01 you and the rest talked me into. It now has 83,000 miles on it and two small dents in the passenger doors. Look like it will last 30 years unless I get to retire and travel more.

Paul
Old 01-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #10

That's a good looking truck for it's age I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat!!

Have you considered the thought of re-powering it with a Cummins after it dies? Plenty of places offer kits to do the conversion yourself or you can find a shop that could do it for you. The cost of a conversion isn't a whole lot more than a re-build and some power upgrades on the existing engine: Pump, injectors, turbo, intercooler... etc.

fordcummins.com - Increase Horsepower with Ford Cummins Diesel conversion kits

Destroked - THE Cummins Conversion Company : Home Page
Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2002, F350 CC DRW with only 100,700 miles on it. Seems I have a list of people wanting to but the truck...but it tain't for sale. Plan to run it fro a bunch more miles. The only thing done to the truck was replace the pinion seal at 75,000 mile and I did have a billet steel torque convert to replace the stock one. The tranny is running a large stacked plate oil cooler and Shaffer synthetic transmission fluid.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #12

Hi,
Here is a PDF booklet that can be down loaded from the internet for free. The book is called the Turbo Diesel Buyer's Guide from "Turbo Diesel Register". This is much more than a buying guide, the book is about 269 pages that include everything from the 1 Gen trucks to the 4 Gen trucks for Ram. The book also explains what to look for on any diesel engine equipped truck.

I know the book is geared to Ram but it is worth looking at to gain knowledge on diesel trucks and what could be wrong with them.

In my humble opinion the 7.3L engine used in the Ford was the last reliable engine that they have had.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/m...ersguide.phtml

Hope this helps?
Jim W.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #13

my bus has 7.3(t444e) (1999) intercooled turbo, runs like a champ 200kms usees no oil, not the fasted, or power house, but i like it. 1 good thing if your up in the middle of nowhere parts are very easy to fined, ford,or international dealer, used, 7.3s are everywhere, nappa carries lots of stuff to. should go for 500kms if looked after

gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
1990 through 1994.5 were IDIs (indirect injection) without turbo. Simple, but low power. Around 1994 for a very short time Ford built an IDI with a turbo. Better, but still an IDI. But the good ones were the '94.5-'97 PowerStrokes. Those were direct injection (DI) with a factory turbo. Even better were the '99-'03 7.3L PowerStrokes. They not only had the turbo, they also had what the man on the street called an intercooler for increased power and torque. The so-called intercooler was actually a charge air cooler, but only a techy would appreciate the difference.

The '94.5 PowerStrokes are rare. And not many of the '95 models available either. '96 and '97 models are plentiful, especially the '97 which were in production for about a year and a half until November 1997. There is no such thing as a '98 Ford diesel pickup. Ford stopped production of the '97 OBS trucks in November, then converted the Kentucky Truck Plant (KTP) to produce the "new body style" '99 SuperDuty beginning in late December 1997.

If I wanted an OBS Ford, I'd look for a '97. But realize those are all at least 15 years old now. At a low average of 15,000 miles per year, that's 225,000 miles. So finding one with only 225,000 miles on it would be a real find.

The '99 SuperDuty was a runaway best seller, and they were in production for almost 18 months. The assembly plant was running 20 hours per day 7 days per week, and the wait was still up to 6 months if you ordered one in the spring of 1998. So they are more plentiful than the '97.

Without changing model years, Ford made major changes in the engine effective December 1998, so the diesel nuts on TheDieselStop divide the '99 into "early 1999" and '99.5. I waited until the start-up bugs were out of the system and the '99.5 was on the street a coupla months, then ordered a '99.5 in April, 1999. It arrived in early June, 1999. I drove it for over 11 years and 197,000 mostly towing miles before I sold it last year.

If I wanted an old diesel pickup, I'd look for a '99.5 thru 2003 7.3L. with a heavy duty rebuilt automagic tranny such as a BTS (Brian's Truck Shop). 2003 7.3Ls with less than 200,000 miles and a BTS or John Wood rebuilt automagic tranny are in high demand, so they sell for a lot more than they should. I popped off and told a friend he could have my 4x2 CrewCab XLT for $10,000, and he bought it in a heartbeat. Then I realized I should have kept it.
Thanks so much for this information. I will definitely use this while looking for our truck....seems I have allot to learn
How do you feel about the F350 with a 460? Just curious.