Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #15

I would look hard at the Ford F-150 with the HDPP package. These are not you normal F-150's. The best way to describe them is: they are F-150's on a double dose of steroids.

The frame is thicker, the wheelbase is longer and they come with a very strong and powerful gasoline engine.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #16

I would think $1 per gallon difference in fuel price would weigh pretty heavily in the gasser's favor.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We towed a 26' Alumalite (5000 lbs) with a V8 4 door Tundra.It pulled it pretty good but not much reserve power.Bought a F250 Diesel and it didn't even feel like it was back there.Admittedly the Tundra was a little light for the job,but its hard to beat diesel power.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
I would think $1 per gallon difference in fuel price would weigh pretty heavily in the gasser's favor.

The price difference for diesel varies, around here it is about 5 to 20 cents a gallon.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #19

I tow a 28' 5er @9300 lbs with a 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 with 4.10 gears. I tow in the PNW and live in Oregon. I have zero issues going anywhere. MPG is on the low side but that part of the game. I can cruise all day long at 64 mph in 5th and the trucks as quiet as can be.
I previously owned a 12 Ram 2500 CTD and towed the same 5er with it for 5 seasons. I got 10.5-12.0 mpg. It towed effortlessly. Problem was my DD schedule was not great for that year Ram Cummins with all the emission stuff. Warm ups in the winter (35-40*) were long and high idling didn't help the emission part.
The newer DEF diesels are much better but I just didn't want to justify the $9,000 again.
I really like the the gas part of my truck. I also have only one diesel station close by. But I have many gas only stations. Much easier to gas up. No worrying about water in the fuel, changing fuel filters. I can pull into any gas station and not worry about poor fuel taking out my injectors or HPFP.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #20

Upgrading from a 1/2 ton gas truck

I currently have a 2017 Silverado Z71 with the 5.3 and I tow a 30’ Aspen Trail that weighs about 7k lbs. So far I have only traveled short distances and the truck has performed well. I haven’t spent much time on the highway and haven’t traveled more than 20 miles with the camper attached. I plan on making longer trips once I purchase a 3/4 ton truck. I’ve been shopping around for a 3/4 ton and have had a hard time whether to buy gas or diesel. The truck will also serve as my daily driver. My family and I probably camp about 5 or 6 times a year. I live in Northwest Florida where the roads and highways are flat. I plan on traveling to Kentucky/Tennessee area eventually to camp and visit family. After everything I’ve read, I feel like gas is the way to go since I’m not towing full time. However, I am wondering if I would regret not jumping into a diesel. The other side note is that I would enjoy the truck payments of a gas over a diesel too haha.

So far, I have driven Ford F-250 and Silverado 2500 both gas (6.2 and 6.0) and diesel. I like them all. I haven’t tested out the Nissan Titan XD diesel yet.

Thanks for any advice and tips from your experiences!
PuddlePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlePirate View Post
I currently have a 2017 Silverado Z71 with the 5.3 and I tow a 30’ Aspen Trail that weighs about 7k lbs. So far I have only traveled short distances and the truck has performed well. I haven’t spent much time on the highway and haven’t traveled more than 20 miles with the camper attached. I plan on making longer trips once I purchase a 3/4 ton truck. I’ve been shopping around for a 3/4 ton and have had a hard time whether to buy gas or diesel. The truck will also serve as my daily driver. My family and I probably camp about 5 or 6 times a year. I live in Northwest Florida where the roads and highways are flat. I plan on traveling to Kentucky/Tennessee area eventually to camp and visit family. After everything I’ve read, I feel like gas is the way to go since I’m not towing full time. However, I am wondering if I would regret not jumping into a diesel. The other side note is that I would enjoy the truck payments of a gas over a diesel too haha.

So far, I have driven Ford F-250 and Silverado 2500 both gas (6.2 and 6.0) and diesel. I like them all. I haven’t tested out the Nissan Titan XD diesel yet.

Thanks for any advice and tips from your experiences!

It’s good to see I’m not the only one thinking about gas over diesel. I will be going with a 1 ton. Drives the same cost about the same but carries more
Stableduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #22

Just an fyi - I test drove a Ram 2500 gas 2WD truck. It had a cargo capacity of 3,300 lbs. My 2017 F-250 2WD with locking rear differential gas truck has a cargo capacity 3,496 lbs.

The extra expense of diesel did not play into my decision to buy a gasoline powered truck. It was the complex diesel engine and all the componants that made me switch. Again, my 2012 Ford Super Duty diesel dually ran perfect for 6.5 years but how much longer before something broke. An injector or DEF failure was always on my mind.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #23
laj

How many tow with a gas truck?

funny no one has even mentioned what do you do when a diesel goes into limp mode. will you even have cell service to call a wrecker. for some cost doesn’t matter, but where you gonna be stranded? just take a walk through a busy dealers shop and see how many are in there. all brands have the same basic problems, basic motors are good, egr, dpf, cat converters are pure junk.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #24

I do not hear anyone complaining about limp mode. My truck would go into 50 mile distance limp mode if it ran out of DEF. But I never let it run out to test limp mode.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
The price difference for diesel varies, around here it is about 5 to 20 cents a gallon.
Haven't seen it that close in years in the SE. Around here it is normally close to a $1; yesterday where I filled up it was exactly $1.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #26

Same here, diesel is around $1 more in Pa. Maryland, Virgina, the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida. In other words the east coast.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #27

Everywhere we’ve been in the last 2 years of fulltiming , diesel has been .75- 1.00 higher than gasoline
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #28

I’ve been towing with gassers for 15 years 6.0 and 8.1 Chevrolet and have no complaints towing various trailer from 6500 to 8,000lbs. Using a diesel truck for the last few years with no complaints. My trucks are first and foremost a good stable TV, everything else about it is secondary.

Tags
gas, tow