Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman4x4 View Post
I guess this must be on the east coast as here in Washington it is sometimes less than gas prices.

Here is my experiance so take it or leave it. I got sold on owning a diesel from years in the military. And then when I got off active duty I was a heavy line technician in a dealership that also sold RV's. The number or 1 ton gas trucks and motorhomes that came thru our shop made me a believer.

If you are using a gas rig you have to make sure you are not at it's max towing weight. I saw so many smoked gas engines because people over loaded their rigs. That is why everyone of my last 4 trucks has been a diesel and I will stick with them.

The problem you speak of, is operator problem, I've seen diesels on the side of the roads for operator error. 18 wheelers, four and six wheelers. People want to go too fast. Learned years ago, up hill is slower. If you don't have the time, stay home.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #58

I realize that I can't make a direct comparison with your intended rig nor draw from year of experience. So, for what it's worth: first & current RV is an '01 25-ft Alumiscape at about 6250lbs 'wet.' First and current tow vehicle is a 2010 RAM 5w/5.7L Hemi. Max tow capacity is 10k pounds so I have sufficient 'headroom.' Travel out here (Calif) includes the Sierra. Truck doesn't strain but it does tach up to 3.5-4k rpm on the uphill and that's just right about the R's it has to hit for the peak of its 400lbs of torque.
Long way of saying that, to do it over again from what I've learned, I would get a 3/4 ton Dodge 2500 diesel just to get the low end torque. Like someone else said on this thread: no one ever complained about having to much truck.
n6medjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #59

When I had my travel trailer I started with a 1/2 ton Suburban, 5.7 liter. It was very underpowered. I later went to a 2006 Silverado 3500 dually with the Duramax diesel. That was a dream to drive and tow with. I sold the tt and bought a MH. Sold my dually and bought a Silverado 1500 to tow behind me.

Now let compare all (my) trucks.

Scratch the Suburban, just ain’t cut out for towing a 7,500 tt. Gas mileage was terrible towing or not. 6 and 13mpg respectively.

2006 Silverado Dually Diesel, towing Cadillac. Average 11 mpg towing and 17.5 not towing. I did have it reprogrammed, but I knew how to keep my foot out of it. Maintenance was slightly more because it had two extra tires and a larger oil capacity than a gas truck. Other than that, no difference in maintenance cost than any other truck I’ve owned. Also, I didn’t need the weight distribution hitch with the dually.

My current 2007 Silverado gets 15 mpg not towing and about 10 towing moderately loaded. It does have the high output B engine in it and I feel it would be fine for towing up to 6,000 lbs properly hitched. I feel the suspension is the limiting factor, even though it’s rated for 7,400lbs. I’ve towed about 4,000 lbs with this truck and it had plenty of power for that with some to spare.

Based on my experience with these trucks, I would think a fairly new 1 ton gas truck of any make make would tow just fine, but maybe not with as much ease as a diesel. You do have to keep a gas engine in its power band if you’re pulling long grades, witch is usually between 3,200 and 4,500 RPM. Sometimes higher. Just my opinion, if I were to go back to a tt, I would definitely be looking to buy another dually diesel. I loved all aspects of owning my diesel. It will all come down to how much you will be towing.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #60

A couple things to note. I believe a gas TV will do for you. However, make absolutely sure what the diff ratio is before buying one. With a 1 ton you shouldn’t have a problem, but you never know when a dealer checks the wrong box and you’re going to need a 3.79 or 4.10.

I drive a 31’ gas MH (P30) with a PT Cruiser on a tow dolly, so it’s not a real long rig. One thing that wasn’t talked about much is gas stations. Except for SDCOToyhaul, none has reported on the potential length issues Getting into gas stations with a long rig. They’re generally made for cars, and don’t have a lot of extra room. I started doing a google satellite map recon to locate suitable locations, and once I nearly got stuck one one when the station was a lot tighter than it looked and a car decided to park in the exit lane. I had to back up with the tow dolly, never a good plan, but I did make it out. It’s a lot easier using diesel pumps in a truck stop.

Enjoy yourself!
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stableduck View Post
I am thinking about a new truck before I retire. I am leaning towards a gas powered 1 ton sb.
We will not be full time but are thinking we would like to do a few trips a year.
I know a diesel is better for towing but when we are not traveling the truck will be my daily driver. Thinking about maintenance cost of the diesel, more oil, fuel filter, DEF, and I know today’s diesels have been holding up good but omg if something does go wrong with the engine.
I would like to hear from those who are towing with gas trucks and what your experience has been

I made the same decision... bought a new F250 and tow a new 34’ 5th wheel. The diesel cost more to buy, operate and maintain. What you get for all that cost is better torque (I.e., speed from a stop and faster up hills)... I’m retired... I don’t care about speed!!!
Alsupsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #62

I went through that gas vs diesel process about 10 years ago. Ended up choosing a 2004.5 GMC and now, with over 40k trouble-free miles of pulling 2 different fifth wheels, I would still make the diesel choice, but probably stick with an older pre-DEF/DPF truck. I do all my own oil & lubes, mods and most minor repairs. With a 34 gallon tank and 11-12.5 mpg average, I can cover some miles without having to refuel. Nothing wrong with the older diesels, all three brands have had good and problematic years, gas and diesel, so whatever you end up buying, do lots of research. The internet is your friend.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #63

Until 3 years ago I towed a 5th wheel with a 2012 gas powered V-8 Ford F-250 that had a tow rating of 15,400 pounds for a 5th wheel of course it has the 4.3 rear and solo the mpg sucked but since the trailer only weighed in at less than 10,ooo pounds all was good. Remember the rules of any engine, Horse power gets you to speed and torque keeps you there and asking any gas engine to do the torque work of a diesel will shorten the life of the gas motor. The good thing is today most 5th wheels and tag a-longs are of super lite construction and most 3/4 ton pickups are more than sufficient unless you have a 42 or 45 foot 5th wheel that weighs more than the trucks max rating and think twice as to were you will be towing most of the time.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
Well, sounds like you have come to the gasser conclusion. Now to match up your rig with the TV so you will have peace of mind in towing.
We have 6 cyl F150 ecoboost and tow 26 ft TT with no problem, including Rockies and Smokies. Truck could tow more but the problem isn’t towing capacity as much as stopping capacity. A heavier trailer would be harder to stop in emergency situations, and I have had few where a few more feet would have been critical
Old 01-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #65

27 footer with a 3/4 ton gasser would be fine with the biggest engine you can get. Mountains wouldn't be a problem. Heck, a heavy 1/2 ton would do the job. You are most likely looking at a 5000 to 6000# loaded trailer.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #66

Then add 1000# and the weight of the vehicles you will have in the trailer.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #67

Under the radar

I tow a 2018 Dutchman Kodiak 279RBSL, loaded weighs about 7000 pounds about 30 feet long. I tow it with a 2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 quad cab Dura Max. I average 28 miles a gallon with daily use. I get about 11 towing. I’ve had this setup about 6 months and traveled about 5000 miles. I feel this truck and TT are the perfect match. The truck pulls the trailer very easily and I’ve had absolutely no issues. Does anyone else have a setup similar to this. What are your thoughts?
Rebel97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:30 AM   #68

Rebel97, my only concern with towing that much with a Colorado would be long descents in mountainous areas. Having an exhaust brake and bigger 3/4 ton brakes are big pluses there. Have towed 5000 pound trailer with both pre-DEF 6.7 Cummins and F250 with the 6.2 gas. Surprisingly the mileage was only slightly better with the RAM so with the gas/diesel price differentials I’d select the gasser. If there was any chance I was doing mountains or might pull a heavier load then diesel wins all day long.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:13 AM   #69

Yeah, I can see the exhaust brake desire if running the big hills. Causes me to wonder how I ever made it thru all those years of running semi trucks to 80,000 lb gross out in those big hills out west..... without a jake brake. Never burned up my brakes and never had to hit an runaway ramp. Key was to slow down considerably before starting down the hill. Drop into lower gear (yes, is possible with automatics in pickups today), and use light brake pressure all the way down.

But, I guess it was a different class of truck driver "back in the day" than it is now.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpie1 View Post
Yeah, I can see the exhaust brake desire if running the big hills. Causes me to wonder how I ever made it thru all those years of running semi trucks to 80,000 lb gross out in those big hills out west..... without a jake brake. Never burned up my brakes and never had to hit an runaway ramp. Key was to slow down considerably before starting down the hill. Drop into lower gear (yes, is possible with automatics in pickups today), and use light brake pressure all the way down.

But, I guess it was a different class of truck driver "back in the day" than it is now.
Read you loud and clear...have always gone very slow down especially when pulling with a gas truck, unfortunately going down Cabbage Hill into Pendleton OR at cold temps and foggy I’ve seen on many people flying down in cars only to lock them up because someone made a passing maneuver into the left lane...just like some safety margin for all the idiots out there. Our diesel pusher could descend some big passes pulling a trailer without even tapping the brake...gosh that felt reassuring.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tow