Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Everywhere we’ve been in the last 2 years of fulltiming , diesel has been .75- 1.00 higher than gasoline

I guess this must be on the east coast as here in Washington it is sometimes less than gas prices.

Here is my experiance so take it or leave it. I got sold on owning a diesel from years in the military. And then when I got off active duty I was a heavy line technician in a dealership that also sold RV's. The number or 1 ton gas trucks and motorhomes that came thru our shop made me a believer.

If you are using a gas rig you have to make sure you are not at it's max towing weight. I saw so many smoked gas engines because people over loaded their rigs. That is why everyone of my last 4 trucks has been a diesel and I will stick with them.
Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 10:44 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a 30 ft tag along that I pulled with 5.6l Titan rated at 9500 lbs. Lousy mileage when pulling, only descent mileage when not, but no issues pulling all over Texas though.
Goods605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman4x4 View Post
I guess this must be on the east coast as here in Washington it is sometimes less than gas prices.
Up here in BC last week diesel was a few pennies cheaper than gas per liter so yeah, maybe expensive diesel premiums are an east coast thing.
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Same here, diesel is around $1 more in Pa. Maryland, Virgina, the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida. In other words the east coast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Everywhere we’ve been in the last 2 years of fulltiming , diesel has been .75- 1.00 higher than gasoline
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDogYVR View Post
Up here in BC last week diesel was a few pennies cheaper than gas per liter so yeah, maybe expensive diesel premiums are an east coast thing.

A southern thing too...in Mississippi diesel is about 80 cents more per gallon than regular gas.

Here's a useful website- https://gasprices.aaa.com/state-gas-price-averages/
Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #33

Diesel is .26 higher where I live in Oregon. Last summer it was neck and neck and in some cases a few cents lower.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goods605 View Post
I had a 30 ft tag along that I pulled with 5.6l Titan rated at 9500 lbs. Lousy mileage when pulling, only descent mileage when not, but no issues pulling all over Texas though.
ive seen two of those diesel titans overloaded with 5vers. both enter and leave the campground with tow truck assists. both with holes in the block. threw a connecting rod out the passenger side.

the one guy just bought truck and 5ver. Not 400 miles and need a new engine. talk about vacation bummer
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #35

We have a 2010 GMC 1500 crew cab 4x4 with the 53 gas engine and pull a 27' T/T that weighs about 6500-7000 ready to camp. this combination works perfect, it handles great and has the power to go anywhere at posted speeds or more. we use the truck other than camping and it rides smooth and gives great gas mileage when not towing, very comfortable. maintenance is very low. I don't think I would consider a diesel figuring the purchase cost, the maintenance cost, the operating cost ,then you have the noise and smell, just no way.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #36

2012 F250 with the 6.2l gas engine towing 10K travel trailer. Plenty of power even in the high mountain passes but it needs to rev up - that's where the power is on a gas motor.

Folks complain about having to run high rpms with a gas motor but the number of miles at over 4000 rpm is such a small percentage of the total engine hours it is insignificant in the overall life of the engine.
John Pattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #37

It's really about what you are comfortable with based on your experience. I've owned both gas and diesel trucks and pulled with both. Hands down the diesel is where my comfort level is. I've worked on them both for years and prefer diesel when a big load is involved. The diesel I have gives me options for pulling whatever I choose safely and with reserve and is also my daily driver. It's an amazing platform, is professionally deleted, and will be with us for a long time. Maintenance is attitude adjustment therapy for me and my favorite hobby after fishing with my grandchildren.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #38

Ford 6.2 gasser works fine for me. Sometimes I miss the torque of my old diesel, but I don't miss the maintenance costs nor the winter fussiness when it's 20 below zero. My toy hauler weighs almost 10k fully loaded and I also pull enclosed cargo trailers for work and they weigh just a tick over 10k. It does just fine.

There's no denying that it's working hard to get it done, especially since I spend most of my time above 5,000ft elevation, occasionally above 10,000ft. Add in some Wyoming winds and it gets thirsty quick even driving at a casual 60-65mph (I'm rarely in a hurry when towing)
WYO George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:43 AM   #39

Anyone have an idea how much a deleted diesel engine pollutes? Especially with gran kids. Where does all the soot go? Does a deleted truck spew black soot out the tail pipe?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #40

I bought a GMC 2500HD SLT last year to tow an Arctic Fox 22G. I needed a 3/4 ton for payload, not because I was towing an extremely heavy trailer. I have a Leer truck cap on the back and have several hundred pounds of astronomy gear in the truck bed. Add 3 people in the truck and a 1000 pounds on the hitch and I need the capacity of the 3/4 ton. If I went diesel I would have had less available payload in my 3/4 ton. I also use the truck as a daily driver and a trip to or from work is less than 5 miles.

I only put 6200 miles on my truck last year including 3 trips with my trailer for a total of about 18 nights camping.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #41

Tuffr2; my deleted 2011 6.7l doesn't spew black smoke or any smoke at all. Still very clean but you can smell the diesel versus when it wasn't deleted and smelled like moonshine mash. But certainly not an in your face smell, it's an internal combustion engine for goodness sake. I'm sure the environmental wackos have an issue with it, but that's not a concern of mine. The engine runs better, cooler, spins easier and breathes easy, and it will last at least a half million miles. Mileage is 23 unloaded highway and 14 pulling my 9000 lb camper here in the SE. No more random regen's and 1200 degree blow torching, no more buying DEF, no more plugged EGR cooler. A little noisier up front but that's a diesel.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevesfamily View Post
Mileage is 23 unloaded highway and 14 pulling my 9000 lb camper here in the SE.
Impressive fuel economy!

The EPA is requiring better fuel economy (although not for HD trucks) yet the exhaust regulations are killing the mpg!

I am all for clean air but I wonder if the diesel exhaust regulations were relaxed a bit if the fuel economy would improve (less EGR and regen required)?
John Pattee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tow