Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #15

How much can you tow?

I don’t know, we have the same in Alaska. Only 1 non commercial license.
Stableduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stableduck View Post
I don’t know, we have the same in Alaska. Only 1 non commercial license.

Contact YOUR Local DMV Office and inquire WHICH DL you would need

Then contact them again and see if you get same answer

CA has DL requirements for 5th wheel over 15,000#
LEOs stake out Pismo Beach area which is popular destination for Toy Haulers etc
Stop and check CA plates on any triple axle Toy Hauler and they cite MANY CA residents for DL Violations cause many do not have the correct DL

Not CA Plates/Resident....free pass cause of reciprocity for DLs from other states.
*This does NOT apply to 'length restrictions', 'double towing' etc.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Contact YOUR Local DMV Office and inquire WHICH DL you would need

Then contact them again and see if you get same answer

CA has DL requirements for 5th wheel over 15,000#
LEOs stake out Pismo Beach area which is popular destination for Toy Haulers etc
Stop and check CA plates on any triple axle Toy Hauler and they cite MANY CA residents for DL Violations cause many do not have the correct DL

Not CA Plates/Resident....free pass cause of reciprocity for DLs from other states.
*This does NOT apply to 'length restrictions', 'double towing' etc.
Just to be accurate, California requires you to have a non-commercial class "A" license to tow anything over 10K lbs., including 5th wheels. What you can do, is get a "restriction" added to your license (I had one when I lived in Ca), which is a written test only. That will allow you to tow a 5th wheel up to 15K. After that you need the additional license.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stableduck View Post
This isn’t how much your truck can tow but how much you can legally drive without a special license.
If I’m reading this right with a normal license I can drive a truck and trailer with a GVWR of 26000 lbs.
so if I had a 1 ton drw with a GVWR of 14000 and a 5er with a GVWR 14000. I can’t legally drive it. It 28000
https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/type...vers-licenses/
That AAA link is notoriously inaccurate and outdated. I would not take any of it at face value.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
I agree highly abbreviated, I just sent the Oregon DMV a question regarding this, non commercial RV over 26,000#, now waiting for an answer.
My situation is GVWRs of the TV and 5er equals 26,360#, but weighs about 23,500#.
The Oregon DMV site always states weights, not GVWRs.

Well I got my Email back and it directed me to this link.
Well part stated, needed a Class A CDL if TV and trailer were over 26,000# combined GVWR or GVW which ever was greater.

Then stated exceptions for:
Personal-use recreational vehicles.

To me that was as clear as mud, a bit ambiguous.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages...id/cdlget.aspx

Well made a call explained that TV was 14,000 GVWR and 5er was 12,360# GVWR total 26,360#.
The exemption is for all personal-use RVs, simple as that.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:17 AM   #20

I had to get a Class A Non-CDL license in Illinois for the exact reason as the OP mentioned. RV's are exempt from CDL requirements but not following the weights. Illinois Police and DMV are not mathematicians either... they simply add the GVWR or the truck and trailer together. In my case 14k fir the truck, 14k for the trailer, so 28K. Over 26k, so class A license is required. Again, its. It a CDL... much simpler process and test, but class A weight rating.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:33 AM   #21

Be careful interpreting how many states show Recreational Vehicles Exempt from CDL license reqmts. That's true but many DO Require a special class DL or an endorsement to regular passenger vehicle DL based on wt of vehicle and anything in tow... some by length.
I wouldn't let any DL reqmt dictate what you buy... getting the license while a bit of an inconvenience is fairly straight forward once you know the reqmts.
Also beware... not all DMV personnel know the full story or can explain it correctly. Many simply refer you to a section of the regs that may provide only a part of the story.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #22

Freqz is 100% correct for Texas. I just completed the testing requirements yesterday to get my Class A exempt license. It's really not that difficult. It's also not widely enforced. But given, it's only $11 for the test and a couple of hours of pain standing in line at the DPS office, there's really no reason not to get it.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #23

Keep in mind its what state your drivers license is issued from no matter where you are driving at. In SD when I inquired with their DMV about a class A noncom they just said in writing RVs are exempt regardless of weight for a 14K TV and 16K 5th wheel but in MD that requires a class A noncom license similar to TX. Hence why Im changing domicle state and getting the license changed over before I move out of MD and will be legal to do so.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #24

Does anyone here know what CDL stands for??? Hint the first word is commercial. A motor home or trailer is not commercial except in very special cases. A state may have special DL requirements for Rvs, but that has nothing to do with CDL.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Does anyone here know what CDL stands for??? Hint the first word is commercial. A motor home or trailer is not commercial except in very special cases. A state may have special DL requirements for Rvs, but that has nothing to do with CDL.
Commercial Drivers License I believe
Old 02-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Ya, that's kind of what everyone is saying. A NON-CDL CLASS A license is required in Texas.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #27

Don't help most. But in NC. Private camping trailers are exempt from all weight laws.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #28

In WI, we have the CDL, commercial driver's license, class d, standard driver's license, and class m, motorcycle license.

Now the law states as everywhere that if over 26k lbs you need a CDL, exemption is if personal use. Well I'm sure not going to tow my 15k 5ver with a motorcycle so that leaves the class d. Makes it easy here. No extra license to get or maintain.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow