Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #1

How to calculate a minimum turning radius?

I have a 2016 F150 Crew cab and a 30' travel trailer and I'm trying to see if there is a way I can determine what the minimum turn radius is. I am in the process of building a house and I'd like to able to pull in and turn around to make it easier but I'm not sure how much space I need for that. The lot is wooded and we are trying to only remove the trees that we need to so I don't want to clear more than I need. Any thoughts?
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #2

Take a couple of cardboard boxes with you to an empty parking lot to mark the circle your rig describes. Measure box to box.

Verify maximum cut angle still leaves you "truck to trailer" clearance.

Depending on what you are measuring, measure "tire to tire" or "fender to fender"-- what ever is more critical to you.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:34 PM   #3

I like wolfe10's suggestion, but I would try to find a parking lot with some lines on it. Line up the truck/trailer on a line, and then do a 180 and see where you land.

If you get a numberlet's say 50', then I would use 75'. I have no clue if my numbers are even close to any reality.

Note the difference between turning radius and turning diameter. We often use the turn turning radius, but what is off quoted is turning diameter.

Let us know what you find: My wife and I have often talked about moving out to the country, and I have wondered about what I would need to pull of the maneuver you are contemplating.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:41 AM   #4

I agree with the parking lot thing rather than trying to do calculations. Due to the trees, I would also measure so that trailer tail swing was factored in.

It looks like maybe those trees might represent income for you!
Old 07-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #5

I don't know if I would use the F-150 or not. What if in the future you was a bigger trailer of 5th wheel. You would have to go to a F-450 to get a good turning radius like the F-150.

I went from a F-450 to a F-250 so I know the F-450 turns alot better. The F-250 does not turn very sharp.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #6

I'm with "tuffr2" give yourself more room than you think you will need.
capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:13 AM   #7

How about some large "sidewalk chalk" tied to a stick and attach to the rear trailer bumper to mark your circle as it drags behind.
Might need to add some weight to the stick to get a nice clear mark from the chalk.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #8

Thanks for everyone's replies. I started looking at some numbers and for the truck alone I'm looking at 59' which is already larger than I was hoping. It doesn't make much sense to clear that large of an area for something I'm only using a few times a year. I think I'm going to focus on having a large area that I could back it into and then out of and that will use less space. I love the idea of just pulling it around but it's a lot of space.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #9

In backing in just remember the truck sometimes needs to make wide swings to get the trailer positioned. I took a wooded area and made two camping sites. I was about to get two trailers positioned where I wanted them but it was not easy as the F-450 needed to make wide swings back and forth. A lot of times the F-450 genders would just miss a tree. Note a F-450 wide track could really swing that front end when needed.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote