Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #1

How to dertermine truck's capacities BEFORE buying?

So I've been reading a lot about towing capabilities and how they relate to the various specifications for a given truck (i.e. payload, GVWR, GAWR, etc).

If you're going to pick a truck up off the lot, it's easy enough to open the door and look at the sticker to find these specs.

But how do you find out these specs if you are ordering a new truck online? Or if I want to compare several different configurations to see how it affects payload, etc.

Thanks.
ArcticGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2020, 03:30 PM   #2

Find top of line trim on the lot first and figure out the spec. Those would be your worst case. The you can guesstimate yours.

I think Ram show you all specs once you built it online.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:13 PM   #3

Not too hard to find it at ford.com but have a healthy dose of salt handy.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:14 PM   #4

Good question - I built a truck with my Ford salesman just to see the MSRP. That is all I got without digging deep. No payload was given and no dealer sales price.

A diesel truck will have 800 - 1,000lbs less than a gas powered truck.

4x4 will have less than a 2WD.

A high trim level will have less payload than a lower trim level.

You should be able to find a truck that is already built similar to the one you want. The payloads will be close but not exact.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:34 PM   #5

Similarly equipped trucks on lots is usually the best you an do. You should be able to come within 50-100# or so. If you're riding a line finer than that you need a bigger truck
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:44 PM   #6

Rule of thumb for me is if I'm looking at 1/2 tons and it's barely cutting it then it's on to 3/4 tons. Same with 3/4 tons.
Like tuffr2 said gas has more payload.

It's not rocket science. If you're trying to justify a truck and you're within a couple 100 pounds of hitting the payload or the RAWR then it's time to move up to the next level.

Things change and most people end up with something bigger a few years down the road once they find out how nice camping in an RV is.

It cost a lot of money to upsize rigs and RV's. It's much cheaper to already have the tow vehicle when up sizing.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Rule of thumb for me is if I'm looking at 1/2 tons and it's barely cutting it then it's on to 3/4 tons. Same with 3/4 tons.
Like tuffr2 said gas has more payload.

It's not rocket science. If you're trying to justify a truck and you're within a couple 100 pounds of hitting the payload or the RAWR then it's time to move up to the next level.

Things change and most people end up with something bigger a few years down the road once they find out how nice camping in an RV is.

It cost a lot of money to upsize rigs and RV's. It's much cheaper to already have the tow vehicle when up sizing.

Many make the error of looking at the payload and equating that to how much pin weight they can carry. They fail to include all the other stuff that is needed to be included. I did some calculations with our current Copper Canyon at a bit shy of 13,000# and a pin of 2,700#. With the stuff we carry in the truck and us we use up 1,400#, before we drop the pin on the truck. We only have 4,000# of our 5,411# Yellow Sticker payload still available.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:13 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticGabe View Post
So I've been reading a lot about towing capabilities and how they relate to the various specifications for a given truck (i.e. payload, GVWR, GAWR, etc).

If you're going to pick a truck up off the lot, it's easy enough to open the door and look at the sticker to find these specs.

But how do you find out these specs if you are ordering a new truck online? Or if I want to compare several different configurations to see how it affects payload, etc.

Thanks.

Real simple....READ THE MFG TOWING SPECS.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:33 AM   #9

Rhagfo, check your math.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:41 AM   #10

It's not as simple as reading the manufacturer's towing specs, they list the maximum weight in each class with no regard for trim levels.
I've been going through this trying to do some online shopping before I hit the road and check out the trucks in person.

I'm rural, so to do some serious shopping, I've got to travel a minimum of 60 miles north or south, or 80 miles east in order to find any quantities of trucks, our local Ford dealer's lot looks pretty much like an abandoned shopping center parking lot.

For some reason, the sales people I've dealt with have a real aversion to going out on the lot and reading the numbers off the door sticker. They keep sending me scans of the manufacturer's max tow rates. I've already checked those numbers online.

That give max numbers by type of cab, wheel base, 4X4/4X2 drive and axle ratios, but gives no information on trim levels or added accessories beyond what's included in the trim package suite.
kgburns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:51 AM   #11

Thanks for all the great replies. Sounds to me that you guys confirmed what I found, and that it is very difficult to sort this stuff out without looking at stickers of comparable trucks.

The reason I ask is because I am in the planning stages for a new truck. It won't be for another couple years, but since it will be my retirement present to myself, I want it to be as nice as possible. But with that being said, I want to be careful to not be frivolous with adding a bunch of options only to find I've whittled away at my safety margin.
ArcticGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:21 AM   #12

I saw something that was odd to me. I have a 2017 F-250 6.2 gas engine 2WD. It is a Lariat with the Lariat Ultimate Package and in 2017 the panoramic sunroof was in the Lariat Ultimate Package. My payload is 3,497lbs.

I was having my oil changed at my Ford garage and looked at two trucks while I was there to kill some time.

One truck was a 2020 F-250 Lariat, Lariat Ultimate Package FX4 with the 7.3 gas engine. No panoramic sunroof. The payload was 2,857lbs.

The other truck was a 2019 F-250 King Ranch 2WD 6.2 gas with the panoramic sunroof. It had all the cameras and more features than my truck. It had a higher payload too of 3,525 lbs. This was very surprising to me as I thought a higher trim level would have less payload.

I know a 2018 Ram 2500 Larimie with the 6.4 Hemi 2WD will have a payload of 3,300 lbs.

I guess the bottom line is you need to go check the sticker yourself. If you are still two years from ordering a truck a lot can change in two years.

I predict in two years Ram will have a new 7.0 litre gas engine named the Banshee. Ford superduty will have new interiors. And all payloads will tick up a bit.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Many make the error of looking at the payload and equating that to how much pin weight they can carry. They fail to include all the other stuff that is needed to be included. I did some calculations with our current Copper Canyon at a bit shy of 13,000# and a pin of 2,700#. With the stuff we carry in the truck and us we use up 1,400#, before we drop the pin on the truck. We only have 4,000# of our 5,411# Yellow Sticker payload still available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Rhagfo, check your math.

If you are referring to the 11# I dropped, I thought I placed the word "about" before the 4,000#. The rest is correct.
My point is many don't account for the stuff they add to the truck before hooking up their 5er. Had I gone with a SRW 3500 with say 4,200# payload I would have only had 2,800# left for a 2,700# pin.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Im in the midst of matching my truck to a TT. So Ive done a lot of research.

First, there is no 1/2T towable 5er. On paper, sure, in the real world, no. In a Ford it would have to be a long bed regular cab XL with the 3.5EB and max tow package. Ive never seen one of those on a dealer lot and who wants a F150 that doesnt have any of the bells and whistles. Also there are very few 5ers with a 1300-ish # pin weight. Load yourself, the misses and the Chihuahua in a 1/2T with a 5er and you dont have enough payload left for the change in your pocket.

My 2WD 2020 F150 with a 5.0 has a tow capacity of 9100# and a paylaod of 2039#. Pretty good numbers for a F150.

The TT I reeally like has a GVWR of 7600#. I figure that my truck has plenty of power to haul that TT around. The majority of posters on 3 different forums disagree and tell me thats to much TT for my truck. I figure that they are not giving the F150 enough credit for the hp/tq and 10 speed transmission.

I watched a couple YouTube videos of TTs and Class C RVs on I-70 at the Eishenhower Tunnel, 7% grade. Thats my old stomping grounds, but I havent been there in 40 years. I forgot just how hazardous that road is. Thats the kind of areas we intend to use our TT at.

Now Im thinking that I really need to be at 6000# max and really would do better at 5000# max.

For us, we do not want a 3/4T truck. So I bought the F150 and we will make the trailer fit the truck. I gave my wife a piece of paper and told her to write everything down she needs in a TT. She wrote, bed, toilet and sink.

My 02 is for you to shop the TT you may want to purchase and see what the GVWR is. Consider the use you want it for flat land, mountains, cold, hot ect. Then determine if you need a 1/2T or 3/4T truck.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying