RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #1

How to tow TT rentals?

Hi,
My wife and I want to rent and tow a variety of TTs from RV share sites like Outdoorsy. This way, we can try out different floorplans, murphy beds, slide vs no slide, different sizes and brands, etc. The goal being to purchase our own TT in a few years. We are a family of 4 with 2 toddler boys.

I've read on this forum that anything over 5,000lbs GTW needs to have a WDH attached. so, how do I do that with rentals? Is it feasible to install my WDH on every rental we try? How easy are these things able to swap between different trailers. Are some brands of WDH easier to swap around to different trailers than others? Is there an alternative such as sway bars only and airbags on my truck?

Looking for some practical advice.

ThirdSpaceCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #2

As you probably know since you asked the question, weight distributing hitches require that some sort of fittings be attached to the trailer frame. Some are relatively simple, clamp on fittings that would be easy to move from one trailer to another. An example of such would be something like this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...YaAuZXEALw_wcB

I've never dealt with the rental situation but have you checked with a trailer rental company? If I was in that business, it would make more sense to rent an appropriate weight distributing hitch with the trailer rather than fuss with renters attaching their own.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #3

I rented a TT once and it came with the WDH equipment. I'd imagine most will since it's not practical to expect renters to bring their own.

Good idea renting a few different trailers to learn what you like. Many others essentially rent until they find the one they like. The problem is the "rental" is for a year or so each time and costs about 25% depreciation

The biggest downside to renting is getting the RV stocked and setup with all your things is time consuming to say the least and you'll ultimately never remember everything.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I've never dealt with the rental situation but have you checked with a trailer rental company? If I was in that business, it would make more sense to rent an appropriate weight distributing hitch with the trailer rather than fuss with renters attaching their own.
Well, the site I'm using is like Airbnb but for RVs. It's local owners in my community that just have RVs sitting around and are willing to rent them to individuals for any given length of time. It's not one particular RV rental company per se. I'll have to check around...some may already have WDH installed and some may not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Good idea renting a few different trailers to learn what you like. Many others essentially rent until they find the one they like. The problem is the "rental" is for a year or so each time and costs about 25% depreciation

The biggest downside to renting is getting the RV stocked and setup with all your things is time consuming to say the least and you'll ultimately never remember everything.
Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean by the statement in bold? The rentals I'm considering would be 3 or 4 days at a time and also a different trailer each time. I understand about the hassle of having to stock up a different trailer each time so I'll factor that into my prep time.

Here's an example of a trailer that I would like to rent:
https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/...ting?from=&to=
Old 05-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Renting before buying is a good way to see if you like camping and see how it feels to have the whole family in a confined space. I don't think renting "several" times is financially practical because of the cost. You will spend way more than a solid down payment and I don't think you will ever find anything that doesn't require some compromise and adjustments. I think the best way is to buy something used that seems like it has what you are looking for then after a year trade for what you have learned you like. In the end you will be more likely to get what you want and all your money will be going towards something you own.

The comment above about renting for a year at a time is tongue in cheek. He is talking about buying and trading as I am suggesting. The 25% depreciation is true if you buy new but not if you find a deal on used. Be a smart shopper and you can cut that depreciation way down.
https://enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSpaceCO View Post
Well, the site I'm using is like Airbnb but for RVs. It's local owners in my community that just have RVs sitting around and are willing to rent them to individuals for any given length of time. It's not one particular RV rental company per se. I'll have to check around...some may already have WDH installed and some may not.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean by the statement in bold? The rentals I'm considering would be 3 or 4 days at a time and also a different trailer each time. I understand about the hassle of having to stock up a different trailer each time so I'll factor that into my prep time.

Here's an example of a trailer that I would like to rent:
https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/...ting?from=&to=
Super common for people to buy an RV only to find out they don't like something about the floor plan.... so, they sell a year later (for 25% less than they paid) and buy another... only to find out they made another mistake or want something else. So, while they are not technically renting, it's almost as if they are and it's REALLY expensive.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:15 PM   #7

I think I would buy a bigger truck that way no worries on what I want to tow. I would want a 250/2500 series truck to make towing for a newbie as easier.

Agree this is a good way to see if you like it. Enterprise will rent bigger trucks incase you hate towing and camping.

To buy a $60,000 truck does not make sense to me if you just want to dab your toes into the camping pond.

Lol - I jumped in over my head but knew it was for me.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think I would buy a bigger truck that way no worries on what I want to tow. I would want a 250/2500 series truck to make towing for a newbie as easier.

Agree this is a good way to see if you like it. Enterprise will rent bigger trucks incase you hate towing and camping.

To buy a $60,000 truck does not make sense to me if you just want to dab your toes into the camping pond.

Lol - I jumped in over my head but knew it was for me.
Well, I already have the Silverado 1500 so that's what I'll be towing with. We've been camping for decades (I'm in my early 40s) from full on backpacking in the middle of nowhere to car camping all over Colorado. So, we know what camping life is all about but yes, we're total RV newbies. Rented a popup last summer with my little GMC Canyon and the furnace alone made my wife resolve to never sleep on a cold ground again at 10,000 feet elevation.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #9

Brrr, camping at 10,000 feet gets cold when the sun goes down.

A hard shell trailer is even better than a pop-up. They warm up better and hold the heat better than a pop-up. But in cold temps below 40 degrees even a hard shell travel trailer is not real easy to keep warm without the furnace running all the time.

At 39 degrees my trailer cycles the furnace on for 4 minutes then off for 4 minutes. So it runs 50% of the time at 39 degrees. But I am warm(ish) but can not sleep real well with the noisy furnace.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:03 AM   #10

I pulled 22' and 25' Nash trailers with a Nissan Titan half-ton for years without any problems. I just slowed down on the hills. Both were extremely well insulated as are all Northwood products (Arctic Fox, etc.). They're not as light as some other brands but have a very good reputation.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:07 AM   #11

The weight distribution hitches I have used were easy to move. The bolt used to secure the parts on the trailer is mainly to keep it in place when itís not in use.

It does not attach to any trailer in a means that holds anything but itself. I see no reason you couldnít move it without scratching the trailer. (With a thin pad, tape to protect contact points)
Larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #12

Just an FYI - I saw RV rentals are 6.5 times higher than normal as people want to distance themselves from others.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My only experience with a rental trailer was in 1957. They used their hitch attached to the real steel bumper of the 1956 Plymouth station wagon my parents had.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My only experience with a rental trailer was in 1957. They used their hitch attached to the real steel bumper of the 1956 Plymouth station wagon my parents had.
Something like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	1964-shasta-trailer-2000.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	286626

Tags
rental, tow