Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2023, 12:42 PM   #15

DEF is 'Diesel Exhaust Fluid'. It is used so the diesel exhaust does not pollute as much. Very similar maybe to the catalytic converter in gasoline powered vehicles.

DEF is distilled water blended with urea. Scientist figured out that injecting DEF into the exhaust reduces NOx which pollutes the air that we breath.

The truck uses a gallon of DEF for x amount of miles driven. Maybe 1 gallon for 2,000 miles driven as this varies with use, Driving solo or towing.

Gasoline vehicles are bad and diesel vehicles are worse for the environment. California will stop sales of diesel vehicles in 2036 I think.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2023, 03:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
I am not sure if these guys just did a shoddy job. I was not around all the time during the repair but I know they had a small battery operated pump on a cart. Maybe they did just pump it out without good cleaning.

Otherwise, I suspect it was already screwed up when I turned on the ignition to get in neutral to push the truck (and the tow truck driver did the same to load it). The low-pressure pump in the tank recirculated the mess through the filter when I turned the key (without cranking). When the repair guys in Ely finally cranked the motor for testing, they completed the disaster.

The Ford service techs checked all components and found DEF crystals all the way to the injectors. I took the pressure sensor as a souvenir and sure enough there is a nice crystal crust. Also, I suspect there are Ford instructions to replace the whole shebang in a DEF contamination case.
Thanks for the info; that makes sense to me now. Again, thanks for sharing and I'll think of you the next time I'm overnighting at the KOA in Ely!

Dave
Old 05-09-2023, 03:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post

Otherwise, I suspect it was already screwed up when I turned on the ignition to get in neutral to push the truck (and the tow truck driver did the same to load it). The low-pressure pump in the tank recirculated the mess through the filter when I turned the key (without cranking). When the repair guys in Ely finally cranked the motor for testing, they completed the disaster.
That sounds likely. Hindsight is cheap but had you thought about it, unplugging the fuel pump relay would have prevented it. Not sure I would've thought of it either, especially as you were probably under duress.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 03:16 PM   #18

My goodness. I am cringing now after reading your story. That is EXACTLY the thing that I could do and I cannot imagine the feeling of having to pay $16k for a simple mistake as well as the hassle. I am SOOOO sorry that happened to you.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:30 AM   #19

My best friend has poured def in the fuel tank of his Ford at least 3 times now and has never had the fuel system replaced, a few filter changes and luck have kept him going. Truck now has over 150k mi on it.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:39 AM   #20

Ford has a technical bulletin out that outlines the procedure to follow if DEF or gasoline has contaminated the fuel system. If the truck has not been started the tech is supposed to look for signs of contamination on the low pressure side. If no contamination, removing and flushing the tank is all they say needs to be done. If there is any sign of contamination on the low pressure fuel side …. all the low pressure components are to be replaced. If the truck has been run and there is signs of the high pressure fuel system being contaminated the entire fuel system is to be replaced. The procedure is the same for DEF and gasoline. Like I said in an earlier post I’ve driven a 6.7 with gasoline in the tank until the point I heard the pinging …. then drove it a couple more miles….. it didn’t cost me a dime to fix and took less than an hour and I was back on the road. There is no way I would bring my truck to a Ford dealer for contaminated fuel.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 05:53 AM   #21

Here is a link to the service bulletin:

http://www2.apwa.net/documents/about...re_job_aid.pdf
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 08:33 AM   #22

I am sorry for your misadventure. When I got my new RAM I was very disappointed to see how close the two filling points are. I would be happy to have the 'hassle' of raising the hood to add DEF like GM requires.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
I am sorry for your misadventure. When I got my new RAM I was very disappointed to see how close the two filling points are. I would be happy to have the 'hassle' of raising the hood to add DEF like GM requires.
The downside of the GM fill location is where the tank was located - right behind the passenger side front wheel, and it hangs way down. So if you happen to drive over a tall curb or drop the front end of the truck into a ditch or washout in the road surface, guess what gets crushed?

Not sure exactly when, but I know that GM relocated the DEF tank due to all the problems that location caused. All the newer GM trucks have the DEF tank back under the bed of the truck, same as Ford or Ram, and the fill is right there beside the diesel fill. Here's an article on providing armor for that older DEF tank, explaining why it is needed.https://www.dieselworldmag.com/gm/armor-up/
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
My best friend has poured def in the fuel tank of his Ford at least 3 times now

Dave
Old 05-10-2023, 11:52 AM   #25

This makes me think the Ford 7.3 Godzilla is the truck to have and make the trailer fit that truck. If people are putting DEF in the diesel tank 3 times so far they need this truck.

Just thinking the Ford 7.3 would tow most of the mid sized 5th wheels. They make a lot of shorter 5th wheels around 34' with 3 slides. I saw a Jayco Pinnacle that was about that short and was very nice. It was the smallest Pinnacle that Jayco makes.

For the full sized 5th wheels you would still need the diesel. Hope you can concentrate and not do the unthinkable.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 01:51 PM   #26

The price is in the ball park for others I know that have done the same thing. Replacing the high pressure fuel system in a Ford requires taking the cab off, which adds to the labor costs. All the stuff is so crammed into the engine bay you can’t work on it without going through the process.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
This makes me think the Ford 7.3 Godzilla is the truck to have and make the trailer fit that truck. If people are putting DEF in the diesel tank 3 times so far they need this truck.

Just thinking the Ford 7.3 would tow most of the mid sized 5th wheels. They make a lot of shorter 5th wheels around 34' with 3 slides. I saw a Jayco Pinnacle that was about that short and was very nice. It was the smallest Pinnacle that Jayco makes.

For the full sized 5th wheels you would still need the diesel. Hope you can concentrate and not do the unthinkable.
Yes, this thread made me appreciate my Godzilla and 5er combo even more.

Very sorry to the OP. It is amazing how sometimes fatigue or distraction costs us nothing, and sometimes .... this bill.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:43 PM   #28

I've seriously considered getting one of these in a large size that I can slip on when fueling or hooking up the toad. You can hardly stop for fuel in any city without being approached by panhandlers.

(of course spouses excepted)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	do not approach.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	392664  
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote