Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 PM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
I’m Looking for Some Towing Advice

We’re about to start looking at trucks and travel trailers, and have found a couple on Craigslist that we’d like to check out. However, as someone inexperienced with RV’s, I have some concerns about tongue weight. (All numbers below are in pounds btw)

The trailer we’re interested in is a 2006 Keystone Kargoroo 28KRS; I found these specs online:
Hitch weight 655
Dry weight 6095
Cargo weight 1585

The truck we like (if it would work) is a ‘99 F250 V10 4x4 super cab long bed; most of these specs came from the 2000 Ford Camper/Trailer Towing Guide:
Max trailer weight 10K with a weight-distributing hitch
GCWR 17K/20K (3.74/4.30)
Max tongue weight 1K with a weight-distributing hitch
Gvwr 8800
Cargo capacity 2482

Looking at these numbers, it seems like the truck would be adequate to tow this trailer. Here’s what I’m worried about: the 28KRS is a side-loading toy hauler, with the “garage” area closer to the hitch than to the wheels, and we would want to carry an electric golf cart in there. Given the location, wouldn’t much of the added weight be transferred to the the hitch, rather than the trailer’s wheels? I don’t have an exact weight for our cart, but I expect it’s in the 800-1000 range. Even if only half of this weight is on the hitch, that would put it over the 1000 tongue weight limit once water, other cargo, etc are aboard. BTW, this limit is the same for all Super Duty trucks, so could it be a matter of needing a larger hitch, rather than the truck itself not being up to the job? Or should we go for a larger truck if we want to pull a camper like this?

Any advice you could give is greatly appreciated Thanks for reading!
Extraneous_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:26 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not a trailering expert, but I would think if your 900 lb cart is 1/3rds of the way toward the hitch vs 2/3 of the way to the trailer wheels, that about 600 lbs extra would initially be put on the hitchball.

If you had a heavier duty weight distributing hitch, some of that weight would (could) be moved to the trailer tires, and some to the truck front tires.....with the correct hitch adjustments.

AND, any additional weight that you added behind the trailer wheels would further shift that cart weight backwards, assuming you have enough total weight capacity and the 10-15% of total weight is still on the hitch.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think that the most important piece of equipment you need to purchase is a top notch Equalizer Hitch like a Reese Cam hitch and make sure it is installed and set up properly. We have seen many rigs where the people are risking the lives of their whole family because of shoddy set-ups.
Search this forum and you will find a lot of information regarding towing, eliminating sway etc. Some of it is scarry.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Towing/R...t=All+Products
Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Where will the cargo (water etc) be located front or rear of axels. I would think the trailer manufacturer would expect and plan for weight in the toy hauler area. The V-10 will handle the pulling and the weight distributing hitch should handle the tongue weight. What tires on on the trailer and their capasity? Lo ts to consider. I would wait for more Ford owners to answer.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:12 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks, everyone. I believe this camper comes with a weight distributing hitch, but I don’t yet know which one, or what it’s capacity is. I’m also not sure about where the tanks are or which tires it rides on; I will find out.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I’m a part-time wheelchair user, and my chair weights about 300#, so if we had the chair and the golf cart stowed in the camper that wouldn’t leave much available weight for other cargo. I don’t think we’d take the cart everywhere, but we would definitely want to take it to some places we plan to go.

Would it be plausible to tow a camper this size with the golf cart in the truck bed? I would prefer to keep it in the camper for ease of loading/unloading, but safety is the number one priority (especially because many places we want to go are in the mountains).

Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraneous_B View Post
The trailer we’re interested in is a 2006 Keystone Kargoroo 28KRS; I found these specs online:
Hitch weight 655
Dry weight 6095
Cargo weight 1585
Dry weight plus cargo weight = 7680 GVWR. That's probably two 3,500# axles. That's reasonable.

But hitch weight in the specs is the dry hitch weight. The wet and loaded hitch weight will be about 1,000 pounds when the trailer is properly loaded to the GVWR. Add 100 pounds for a good WD hitch and that's 1,100 pounds hitch weight.

I suspect the full name of that trailer is Keystone Outback 28KRS toy hauler with Kangaroo décor. The 28KRS is not on the Keystone website for 2006, but is for 2008.
2008 Keystone Outback 28KRS Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide

Quote:
The truck we like (if it would work) is a ‘99 F250 V10 4x4 super cab long bed; ... Here’s what I’m worried about: ... Even if only half of this weight is on the hitch, that would put it over the 1000 tongue weight limit once water, other cargo, etc are aboard.
Yeah, the 1999 F-250 V-10 has plenty of oomph to pull that trailer and more, but the OEM receiver is limited to 1,000 pounds hitch weight. So that limits the gross weight of any tandem-axle TT you could tow without overloading the receiver to about 6,900 pounds.

With unloaded weight of 6100 pounds, that leaves only 800 pounds for the weight of the cart and chair. So with that trailer loaded with nothing but cart and chair, you're probably going to overload the hitch. An overloaded hitch is the one limit you don't want to have. When a receiver is torn loose from the frame, the result ain't pretty.

But the fix is easy. Replace the OEM receiver with a heavier duty receiver, such as this one:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=199922551

Hitch weight capacity with WD hitch increased to 1,600 pounds. That means that hitch weight will no longer be your limiter, and instead you can worry about GVWR and rGAWR.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't help you on the towing part. Others know better than I. However, I believe that the 99 era V10 had issues with blowing spark plugs out of the heads. You may want to research that before you buy.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Awesome, thank you! If we get this truck and camper (or similar ones) we’ll get a larger hitch like that before doing any towing.

Thank you so much!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would look at F350s, not 250s. You will be over weight by the time you get it loaded for camping. I also do not think that is enough trailer. If you go look at it in person find the loading sticker, (usually on the front drivers side of outside of trailer). Look at the UVW or unloaded vehicle weight. This is the weight that very trailer actually weighed when it left the factory and it should have cargo capacity listed as well. These numbers are always different than the brochure numbers since they include all the options not listed in the brochure weights. You may find it will not carry what you need it to.

The truck will also have a weight sticker somewhere stating "occupants and cargo shall not exceed xxxx pounds". That number has to be enough for tongue weight, weight of the hitch equipment,(usually 80 pounds or so), and any people and gear added to the truck after it left the factory. If it has a canopy or a winch they count as cargo weight.

Not all F250s or 350s are equal. Some have much higher cargo ratings than others. Most all of them will have enough engine, that is rarely the issue.

Toy haulers are often problematic. Traditional ones with the garage in the rear are very tongue heavy when empty to make them properly balanced when your "toys" are inside. With the front garage I suspect it will be very tongue light when empty so without your cart in it it may be unstable due to too little tongue weight. The garage is also not always a nice living area also.

You might think about an F350 with a conventional travel trailer and carry the cart and chair in the bed. That would allow you to carry whatever you want in the trailer and have cargo capacity to spare on both truck and trailer. Single rear wheel 350s can have payloads over 3000 pounds. Either way I think a 250 is not enough truck and a 350 is exactly the same size, height etc. Should cost the same as well, within a few hundred $$. Good luck with the search.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraneous_B View Post
Thanks, everyone. I believe this camper comes with a weight distributing hitch, but I don’t yet know which one, or what it’s capacity is. I’m also not sure about where the tanks are or which tires it rides on; I will find out.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I’m a part-time wheelchair user, and my chair weights about 300#, so if we had the chair and the golf cart stowed in the camper that wouldn’t leave much available weight for other cargo. I don’t think we’d take the cart everywhere, but we would definitely want to take it to some places we plan to go.

Would it be plausible to tow a camper this size with the golf cart in the truck bed? I would prefer to keep it in the camper for ease of loading/unloading, but safety is the number one priority (especially because many places we want to go are in the mountains).

Thanks again!
I would chose to get a lift for the truck and put the wheel chair in the truck bed.
There are a number of sites with these lifts and they include covers for most of the wheel chair designs. I have a friend that does exactly that and he is able to get the chair into and out of the bed without disconnecting from the trailer.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I would look at F350s, not 250s. You will be over weight by the time you get it loaded for camping. I also do not think that is enough trailer. If you go look at it in person find the loading sticker, (usually on the front drivers side of outside of trailer). Look at the UVW or unloaded vehicle weight. This is the weight that very trailer actually weighed when it left the factory and it should have cargo capacity listed as well. These numbers are always different than the brochure numbers since they include all the options not listed in the brochure weights. You may find it will not carry what you need it to.

The truck will also have a weight sticker somewhere stating "occupants and cargo shall not exceed xxxx pounds". That number has to be enough for tongue weight, weight of the hitch equipment,(usually 80 pounds or so), and any people and gear added to the truck after it left the factory. If it has a canopy or a winch they count as cargo weight.

Not all F250s or 350s are equal. Some have much higher cargo ratings than others. Most all of them will have enough engine, that is rarely the issue.

Toy haulers are often problematic. Traditional ones with the garage in the rear are very tongue heavy when empty to make them properly balanced when your "toys" are inside. With the front garage I suspect it will be very tongue light when empty so without your cart in it it may be unstable due to too little tongue weight. The garage is also not always a nice living area also.

You might think about an F350 with a conventional travel trailer and carry the cart and chair in the bed. That would allow you to carry whatever you want in the trailer and have cargo capacity to spare on both truck and trailer. Single rear wheel 350s can have payloads over 3000 pounds. Either way I think a 250 is not enough truck and a 350 is exactly the same size, height etc. Should cost the same as well, within a few hundred $$. Good luck with the search.
Thank you for all that info!

I’m getting concerned about trailer weight capacity too now that I’ve found out 50gal fresh water weighs over 400#. (Noob question: is it common to fill potable water tanks at your destination, or would I most likely fill it before getting in the road?) I guess we could carry the golf cart or the wheelchair in the truck bed, though that, too, would probably put us in F350 territory.

I have not contacted the seller of this camper yet, but I’ll ask for a pic of that weight sticker when I do.

One more question, when you say I’d be over weight by the time it’s loaded for camping, do you mean over the tongue weight or over the truck’s payload capacity (or what’s left over once people and gear are aboard)?
Old 01-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks! I have not heard about pickup truck wheelchair lifts but I will look into them!
Old 01-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks again, everyone! Today we bought an ‘06 F350 6.0 4x4. We are going to pass on this trailer because of its cargo capacity limitations, but we have our eye on another one that will carry our golf cart, my wheelchair, a full freshwater tank, and more! Thanks for helping us make properly informed decisions.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #14

WDS and you will be fine with that set up IMO

Tags
advice, tow, towing, towing advice