Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 06:17 PM   #43

I read thru all the posts. Nothing more to add but 'You da man'. [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #44

OK, as someone who doesn't do a lot of driving in snow and ice, please splain to me why you would need chains for the trailer? Every time I've used or seen chains used they were on drive wheels.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
OK, as someone who doesn't do a lot of driving in snow and ice, please splain to me why you would need chains for the trailer? Every time I've used or seen chains used they were on drive wheels.
When braking on ice, it's never fun to see the pulled trailer sideways in your rear view mirror.

Chains on the trailer allow it to track straight on ice. As well as allow the trailer wheels to have traction, so that the brakes can be effective.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:49 AM   #46

I can't help but think of all the undo that is needed to move a perminent trailer. After we spent 6 months in Florida it took a little bit everyday for 2 weeks to move north.

And that was nothing compared to a park model with a perminent decking, skirting and awning and 14 ply super heavy tires stored under the trailer as well as the heavy trailer hitch. Every task is very doable. But there are 100's of tasks. And these are the shortest daylight hours of the year. In June you would have 4.5 more hours of daylight, if you had the energy.

You seem to be driving back and forth. Can't you just stay in the trailer? That would save you 6 hours on the road.

Again, you da man.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I can't help but think of all the undo that is needed to move a perminent trailer. After we spent 6 months in Florida it took a little bit everyday for 2 weeks to move north.

And that was nothing compared to a park model with a perminent decking, skirting and awning and 14 ply super heavy tires stored under the trailer as well as the heavy trailer hitch. Every task is very doable. But there are 100's of tasks. And these are the shortest daylight hours of the year. In June you would have 4.5 more hours of daylight, if you had the energy.

You seem to be driving back and forth. Can't you just stay in the trailer? That would save you 6 hours on the road.

Again, you da man.

Good luck
Lot's of work yes, and yes I could stay in the coach. But it's not set up like home anymore. As I said earlier in another post, We emptied out all the stuff not needed. The bedroom slide is in, bottom line is after working all day, I want to go home. June would be great, however my contract for the year runs out 01/01/2018
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
Lot's of work yes, and yes I could stay in the coach. But it's not set up like home anymore. As I said earlier in another post, We emptied out all the stuff not needed. The bedroom slide is in, bottom line is after working all day, I want to go home. June would be great, however my contract for the year runs out 01/01/2018
My last post did not show all of it, sorry trying again.

ffr2;3943777]I can't help but think of all the undo that is needed to move a perminent trailer. After we spent 6 months in Florida it took a little bit everyday for 2 weeks to move north.

Again, you da man.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

Lot's of work yes, and yes I could stay in the coach. But it's not set up like home anymore. As I said earlier in another post, We emptied out all the stuff not needed. The bedroom slide is in, bottom line is after working the short hours each day, I want to go home. I don't mind driving, and my bones are ready to get in the truck and drive home after 4-5 hours over there working. And it's 6+ hours round trip depending on traffic, most of the time it's dark when I'm driving, and look I'm taking another day off. Well not entirely taking the day off, just not going over to the trailer today, today I'm calling Oregon and Washington state police and try to get more information on the tire chain issue (By the way the route I'm taking is avoiding as many high passes as possible and if I find my self in a storm that requires chains,well lets just say a warm motel room is where I'll be) and other laws that I'm missing in all the pages on the internet.As for the awning and deck, well that's being done for me in fact they sent me a text last night, saying they would be done today with just some clean up for Friday (Remember free add on craigslist) June would be great, however my contract with the park for the year runs out 01/01/2018 So yes if I were running a Company this way, I guess I would go broke real fast. But I'm the Company, I'm not on a time clock, except I need it out before the 1st of the year. But actually, I've set a tentative date for the trip. I'm planning on leaving next week, if all keeps going as planed. My 12 year old grandson is doing his best to talk his mother into letting him go with me, Christmas break starts next week. Mom has no problem with him going with me, but she's not sold on him not being home for Christmas. Myself when I look back on all my childhood Christmases none stand out, but I remember going on road trips with my grand parents when I was a small child (never on Christmas, but those times are still embedded in my head) My son is pushing for mom to let him go. I guess a lot of you think I'm crazy. Yes it would be so easy to have just called a moving company and payed them to do it all, and yes we could afford to do that no problem. I used to do my own brake jobs and change my own oil and so on. But I don't anymore, I pay to have those things done. But this job is one that as the owner of the trailer, I wouldn't miss. My wife told me the other day that I seem rejuvenated since starting this. I look at like a learning experience, When this is done there won't be one thing that I don't know about the coach. I'm not doing anything that is unhealthy for me, actually just the opposite. Now the icing on the cake is my daughter-in-law lets my grandson go.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #49

Well I just picked up "Legal" chains and hooks for the tow hitch, also took the tires to another tire shop, for a 4th opinion. It was suggested I replace the valve stems. It's being done as we speak, can't believe I didn't think of it. Oh and I bought a new emergency brake away switch.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #50

I'm sure you are keeping one eye on the WX, of course the last 3 weeks have been perfect from Mexico to British Columbia. Our local weatherman said last night that the big high pressure over the west coast may shift late next week and that will allow some rain to come our way. If its clear WX, its clear sailing, you may find some early morning ice on bridges, but no chain controls.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #51

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not sure where in Washington you are heading, all I got from this so far was "almost to Canada" but the weather here is turning pretty cold and trending colder in the next week. Getting hail and freezing rain here in SE Washington now and the front is coming down from B.C.

What was the word from the authorities as far as chains on the passes?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Not sure where in Washington you are heading, all I got from this so far was "almost to Canada" but the weather here is turning pretty cold and trending colder in the next week. Getting hail and freezing rain here in SE Washington now and the front is coming down from B.C.

What was the word from the authorities as far as chains on the passes?
I'm storing the trailer for the rest of the winter in Oroville Washington, then after the snow melts next spring, I'll be pulling it to my property about another 20 miles or so north east of Chesaw Wa.
Washington acted like I was an Idiot for asking about chains. Oregon said they are required, But they also said they would never cite someone for not having them, unless I was driving when chains are mandatory. Which I won't be. I'm in no hurry, and I just got the word, My Daughter in law is letting my grandson go with me.
I just saw your signiture My mother is from Kennewick, and I still have aunts and uncles there.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:52 PM   #53

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, I thought that would be the case on the chains in Washington but wasn't sure about Oregon. Any thoughts on the route? I think if it were me I might want to stay on flatter ground. 97 between Ellensburg and Cashmere is very steep and twisty. Might be better to go east on 84 to 395 and pick up 97 again in Wenatchee. A bit of a detour but definitely no big passes. Just a thought, I don't go that way often enough to be super familiar but I know that stretch of 97 is one I would avoid.

Glad to hear you will get to share the adventure. Good luck with the trip. They had 6 or so inches of fresh snow in Spokane last night so it is around already. When are you hitting the road?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #54

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I think if it were me I might want to stay on flatter ground. 97 between Ellensburg and Cashmere is very steep and twisty. Might be better to go east on 84 to 395 and pick up 97 again in Wenatchee. A bit of a detour but definitely no big passes. Just a thought, I don't go that way often enough to be super familiar but I know that stretch of 97 is one I would avoid.

When are you hitting the road?
Just watch the weather!!! If You run 97 over Satus Pass, to Yakima then on to Ellensburg You will have several hard pulls & long down grades from Yakima to Ellensburg (I-82).
It may be in your best interest to run east on I-84 to I-82 north,to I-182 east, then north on US-395 to I-90 @ Ritzville. Head west to the George/Quincy exit, north on hwy 281 to Quincy then west on hwy 28 to Wenatchee, and then US 97 north.. This route will minimize most of the steep grades and trying to get over the passes.... Will be about 6 to 8 additional hours driving from Biggs Jct to Wenatchee tho, but mostly flat ground and freeways.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #55

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Not trying to be rude or uncaring.(you have reasons for keeping the trailer) I would have put it up for sale as well. Save the time and money(time of which you don't have much) and look for a park model where you are.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #56

Keymastr, & Saddlesore

Thank you both for the route advice, I really needed it. I've always gone over the mountain passes (shortest route) in the past trips, pulling my 5th wheel and once on a Harley. But now I want the flattest safest route possible. Time for once is not in issue. I am not doing do any night driving at all, and I don't care how many extra hours I have to drive in order to travel the flattest safest route possible. So to both of you a hardy THANK YOU, I've spent a lot of time looking at maps. But real advice is what I needed. Hoping to leave next Week, Thursday at the latest.
So yesterday my son, daughter-in-law, brother, grandson and a very good family friend all showed up to help. It rolled yesterday. I pulled it foreword and backwards, I no not the best test but all I can really do, once I pull it out of the space, I don't want to put it back. Bottom line is, Tires have new valve stems and look great, All bearings have been repacked (by me) brakes cleaned and working, tow chains and hooks installed on hitch. The one thing, with my sons ball (very large set up for his bumper pull trailer) the over all length is 65'3" with another 2 5/16" ball that I use to tow my 25' 7000 lb. boat the total length 65' I'm going to see if I can find another one that will put me an inch or two under 65'

Tags
towing