Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

If you are thinking of buying a gas or diesel truck you have 13 years and 11 mths left.

Interesting article.

Title should have said a GM diesel or gas truck. Moderator feel free to correct.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/28/gene...anWE-FDb49dNZo
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #2

I wonder how big the electric motors will be on the trucks that deliver 10 of those vehicles at a time ???? better yet how big will the batteries be.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post
I wonder how big the electric motors will be on the trucks that deliver 10 of those vehicles at a time ???? better yet how big will the batteries be.
It seems to me Tesla said they are using the same motors that they use on the model 3. Just more of them. Not sure about this. There was an article floating around about it. Maybe from Cleantechnica or Inside EV's or one of those.

I've seen battery guesses from 500 to 1000 KW
Old 01-28-2021, 03:23 PM   #4

Battery technology is still being developed. So in 10 - 13 years it is any bodies guess as to how things will be. I read the scientists are working on different chemical reactions.

The real bad thing is the roads will still need some sort of tax. So current talk is to tax by milage driven.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Battery technology is still being developed. So in 10 - 13 years it is any bodies guess as to how things will be. I read the scientists are working on different chemical reactions.

The real bad thing is the roads will still need some sort of tax. So current talk is to tax by milage driven.
I would be good with that.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #6

What about solid state batteries like Toyota is working on?

Toyota's Solid-State Battery Prototype Could Be an EV Game Changer
Old 01-28-2021, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
What about solid state batteries like Toyota is working on?

Toyota's Solid-State Battery Prototype Could Be an EV Game Changer
I would think there will be lots of new battery technology and charging infrastructure coming out. Look at the last 10 years. 10 years ago the most commonly sold electric car had 80 miles of range and charged at 3.3 kw in your garage. Now the most commonly sold electric cars have 350 miles range and charge at 250 KW. What will the next 10 years bring.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #8

Allow me to be skeptical. I also remember a few European brands promising ONLY all-electric vehicle sales for the 2020 model year. Here we are in 2021, and while they have a few electric models, ICE powered vehicles are still their major seller.

I suspect the real number will be closer to 50%.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Allow me to be skeptical. I also remember a few European brands promising ONLY all-electric vehicle sales for the 2020 model year. Here we are in 2021, and while they have a few electric models, ICE powered vehicles are still their major seller.

I suspect the real number will be closer to 50%.
I agree...

The new solid state batteries can handle faster charges, but the 200A service at my home cannot.

Nor is there a 480V substation nearby to beef up my electric company's service in my neighborhood...

If I look out at the commercial areas, I see beefier service available for a charging station where I already buy gas. But 480Vx1000A is only 480kW... That would take 15mins to charge a 120kWh battery without any losses, assuming the battery can absorb that current...

I expect we will see an evolution of fuel from fossil to renewable synthetic or hydrogen...
(Remember I.C. engines prefer the hydrogen in hydrocarbons over the carbon)

Run a spark ignition ICE on hydrogen, and it will only produce water... (And a smattering of NOx which can be catalyticly reduced)
Make the hydrogen using electrolysis from green electricity and you have a zero emission vehicle that makes all the right noises!
Old 01-28-2021, 04:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
I agree...

The new solid state batteries can handle faster charges, but the 200A service at my home cannot.

Nor is there a 480V substation nearby to beef up my electric company's service in my neighborhood...

If I look out at the commercial areas, I see beefier service available for a charging station where I already buy gas. But 480Vx1000A is only 480kW... That would take 15mins to charge a 120kWh battery without any losses, assuming the battery can absorb that current...

I expect we will see an evolution of fuel from fossil to renewable synthetic or hydrogen...
(Remember I.C. engines prefer the hydrogen in hydrocarbons over the carbon)

Run a spark ignition ICE on hydrogen, and it will only produce water... (And a smattering of NOx which can be catalyticly reduced)
Make the hydrogen using electrolysis from green electricity and you have a zero emission vehicle that makes all the right noises!
Well, your 200 amp service won’t have any problem charging your car. We are in a townhouse community and every town house has 100 amp service. All of us with EV’s have had electricians install a 7.7 KW home charge station with no problem. I even added a second 3 KW station outside. The cars timers are typically set to charge between 1 and 4 in the morning. It’s not that big of a deal.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #11

I can not imagine how the climate would change if cars/trucks spewed out more water. Lots of cloudy weather and no sun so no crops and everyone starves??

There is no magic bullet and no solution will last as long as the ICE has. What a great invention still being widely used after 135 years.

An interesting video of other manufacturers making only electric vehicles in 10 - 15 years.

https://youtu.be/cRJ4_pIcnBw
Old 01-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Well, your 200 amp service wonít have any problem charging your car. We are in a townhouse community and every town house has 100 amp service. All of us with EVís have had electricians install a 7.7 KW home charge station with no problem. I even added a second 3 KW station outside. The cars timers are typically set to charge between 1 and 4 in the morning. Itís not that big of a deal.
The point being that any new exciting battery technology that will 'charge as fast as filling your gas tank' needs to have serious, sever infrastructure to do so...

Yes, I realise I have 48kW worth of service in my home.
But if I want to charge my new Graphite Ion solid state battery over a lunch break, I can't... Regardless of how fast it can take a charge...

The infrastructure at my house will take 2hrs if I don't use any other appliances...

Using the big 480V substation will still take 15mins if I'm the only one using it...
Old 01-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
The point being that any new exciting battery technology that will 'charge as fast as filling your gas tank' needs to have serious, sever infrastructure to do so...

Yes, I realise I have 48kW worth of service in my home.
But if I want to charge my new Graphite Ion solid state battery over a lunch break, I can't... Regardless of how fast it can take a charge...

The infrastructure at my house will take 2hrs if I don't use any other appliances...

Using the big 480V substation will still take 15mins if I'm the only one using it...
I canít follow your logic. DC fast charge stations are not installed in houses. There would be no reason to. Although 95 percent of your charging will be done at home that is all supplied by single phase 120 or 240 volt power. Most if not all EVSEís that come with the EV use 32 amps or less.

If you need to charge up at lunch for some reason just go to your local DC fast charger or Supercharger. I donít think I have ever spent more than 20 minutes at a supercharger...just about right for a quick lunch. For the most part Superchargers are for road trips. People usually charge at home or at work.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:09 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
THREAD WARNING

Let’s make sure to keep this thread on topic. We have already deleted a post for introducing politics.
Thanks to everyone posting on topic.
Closed Thread

Tags
buying, gas