Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #1

I'm SUCH a nerd

We are new owners of a Grand Design 2970RL, so new that we haven't taken it from the dealer yet. I've never towed anything before, let alone a 35' trailer and learning to do that (mostly the backing up, straight and turning are not a great concern) has been a fear for me. So what do I do?

I build a scale model of the truck and trailer in lego, including our storage spot and figure out how to maneuver in and out. Obviously the actual driving will be a bit different but at least I'm figuring out some things to watch for, how to back up in a smooth arc, tighten and loosen the turn, etc. Just the ability to practice small scale is helping quite a bit.
Perrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
lol - yep, possible signs of nerdom there.
It's a good idea though!
When you get to the real thing take it to a mostly empty parking lot and practice there.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

This is great My beautiful copilot makes noise about driving our 40-footer, but can’t back down our driveway in her BMW. Legos...
Old 07-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #4

Mike here will teach you all you need to know. Seriously.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #5

Trailer wheels are WAY to forward.

Rear overhang is only 6' or so.

Move trailer wheels back and then see how much different trailer maneuvers
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Trailer wheels are WAY to forward.
I’ll double check the measurements but it’s based on measurements I took while at the dealer. Back of trailer to middle of wheels was 14.5’, middle of wheels to front was about 18.5’.
Perrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #7

I didnt watch the video, but one main trick I learned was to hold the steering wheel at the bottom, then turn the wheel which ever way you want the trailer to go. It takes the mystery out of which way to turn the wheel. You will be a pro in no time. Cheers.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #8

If you were rich you could buy a truck that would make backing easy.

My advice is just go slow. Get out and look. Make corrections and try again. Do not be pressured for time.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I didnt watch the video, but one main trick I learned was to hold the steering wheel at the bottom, then turn the wheel which ever way you want the trailer to go. It takes the mystery out of which way to turn the wheel. You will be a pro in no time. Cheers.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Winniman nailed it!!! Easiest way to learn, just watch tail swing.

burfurd
Old 07-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If you were rich you could buy a truck that would make backing easy.

My advice is just go slow. Get out and look. Make corrections and try again. Do not be pressured for time.

I agree 100%. Definitely ignore everyone except your chosen spotter and of other vehicles are waiting to get past you ignore them. They can wait, just like we wait for them. When a campground employee offers to “help” me I politely decline and tell them my wife and I are a team and have backed into countless campsites without mishap. When we bring the trailer home from storage and have to back it into our driveway my wife sometimes gets a bit flustered if a car comes down the street and has to wait. I tell her to ignore them as we proceed to (usually) back it in correctly on the first try. I think most of them enjoy the show. LOL. Of course, I grew up on a farm and learned very young how to back trailers into all kinds of places.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #12

Pick up a pack of those cheap orange plastic cones at Walmart, take that rig to a big, empty parking lot,use the cones to layout your camping site, and then practice pulling through and backing up from various angles. Change the site from straight in to angled. Won't take you anytime at all until your confidence level is up. Then make it real world by having someone park their truck longways about 6 feet across in front of your site and send them to the pool. Then try and back into your site while avoiding hitting their truck. Oh yea, get the wife into the act by screaming at each other while you back up, while a dog jumps around in the truck with you, licking you in the face on occasion. You'll be an expert in no time if you can master this.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:32 AM   #13

If you back and your wife spots than she MUST be able to see your face in a mirror at all times. Anytime I cant see my wife I stop no matter what. When she moves back so I can see her, I still wait to see if she has any new info.

If you have to follow a curve than you will have a blind side that she must cover for you, you should be able to cover the other side with one of your mirrors.

One thing that is critical is to work out your terminology. We try to use absolute terms like driver side or passenger side and not relative terms like left or right, and be sure you both agree on your terms.

One thing that helps a lot is to get a set of walkie talkies.

Beat of luck and have great time
Old 07-05-2018, 05:08 AM   #14

Quote:
I have heard this for a long time, and never saw the value in it.
DW would like for me to teach her to back a trailer. I marked lines on the drive, told her when she gets to the point she can back her car in the driveway and park between the lines every time we will go to a parking lot and start. Until you can back you TV exactly where you want it, backing a trailer will be a challenge.
Spotter or Onback? Over the years I have had to repair/replace bumpers, fenders, mirrors, doors and even a fuel tank because of backing into things with and without a trailer. And every time I asked a driver what happened the stories had the same thing "I was watching, "Onback, onback onback crunch" You are backing up, your wife is at the back corner of trailer watching the back, you are watching her, all is good right? Who is watching the corners of the TV?
When you get to site, you and spouse decide exactly where you want the trailer to set. Now, work out in your head what path the trailer will need to follow to miss all the things that will hurt, or be hurt by trailer and get to where you want. If your wife and kids need watched, find somebody else to do it. Now get back in TV and back it so the trailer takes the path. A rock, tree or post will not move to get out of your way, but also will not to get in the way. The only job for anybody other than the driver is to watch for other traffic...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote