RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #1

In-laws - F150 pulling a TT

I am asking in consideration for my in-laws looking at getting their first TT. Trying to figure out what exactly this truck can pull seems daunting with all of the numbers and formulas out there.

Based on his payload of 1634 we think this trailer would work. Trailer fully loaded would take about half of the payload 814lbs and leave the remaining for persons and cargo in the truck

Here is the break down with what info I have. Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated.

2021 - 4 door F150 King Ranch 4x4
Payload - 1634
Trailer hitch capacity - 1,100
(I can get more numbers from him if needed to better evaluate the scenario)

Looking at a Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S
UVW - 5471
CCC - 1314
Total GVWR - 6,785
Hitch - estimated 814 lbs with trailer fully loaded
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #2

This online towing calculator will accurately, without bias, safely match a tow vehicle and trailer. It offers the 20% safety factor many full-timers use to insure tow vehicle longevity and dependability.
Note it requires actual scale weights for some blocks for accuracy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #3

I think the in-laws will be fine. They will need a good WD hitch and get it dialed in.

I think the max any 150/1500 truck can tow is 7,000lbs on the highway and maybe 9,000lbs if staying on back roads.

Now staying on back roads is easy if they want to camp at local state parks so dont poo poo that idea. State Parks that I am familiar with in Pennsylvania and Florida will have a lake/spring and nice hiking trails.

It is driving on the highway with tractor trailers at 70 - 72mph that most of the sway or uneasiness towing happens.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #4

Good to go IMO. Just keep an eye on payloads for both.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This online towing calculator will accurately, without bias, safely match a tow vehicle and trailer. It offers the 20% safety factor many full-timers use to insure tow vehicle longevity and dependability.
Note it requires actual scale weights for some blocks for accuracy.
I prefer this site. Reasons follow.

TowCalculator.com

The other site asks you about your empty rear axle weight. Not sure why anyone would know about that. It doesn't ask about your axle rating or the weight on it when hooked up (things I do know).

It bases it's decision on the maximum weight the trailer can weigh, rather than what it actually weighs when loaded. I'm not sure what I'd have to do to put 3,000 pounds of stuff in a 21' trailer. Penalizing trailers with stronger frames and more axles is absurd.

It assumes a 15% tongue weight, which is absurd.

And then while it lets you select your own percentage for safety, that percentage really would vary by item. For example, IMHO 20% is too low for max tow rating and much too high for max tongue weight (which should be zero).
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:38 AM   #6

Thank you all for the info and sites for calculators. We were thinking the TT would be a good fit for the truck. More of a piece of mind to be able to run this kind of thing across other peoples opinions and insights with more experience.
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I prefer this site. Reasons follow.

TowCalculator.com

The other site asks you about your empty rear axle weight. Not sure why anyone would know about that. It doesn't ask about your axle rating or the weight on it when hooked up (things I do know).

It bases it's decision on the maximum weight the trailer can weigh, rather than what it actually weighs when loaded. I'm not sure what I'd have to do to put 3,000 pounds of stuff in a 21' trailer. Penalizing trailers with stronger frames and more axles is absurd.

It assumes a 15% tongue weight, which is absurd.

And then while it lets you select your own percentage for safety, that percentage really would vary by item. For example, IMHO 20% is too low for max tow rating and much too high for max tongue weight (which should be zero).
I curious why you think a 15% TW is an absurd value.
When you consider its very common for a TT to carry 120#+ in batteries, and 60#+ in propane on the nose not to mention the cavernous storage frequently in the front, it's not unusual for the nose to be heavy.
Assuming your TV has the capacity for the weight, I'd much prefer being at 15% vs closer to 10
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamokadave View Post
I curious why you think a 15% TW is an absurd value.
When you consider its very common for a TT to carry 120#+ in batteries, and 60#+ in propane on the nose not to mention the cavernous storage frequently in the front, it's not unusual for the nose to be heavy.
Assuming your TV has the capacity for the weight, I'd much prefer being at 15% vs closer to 10
Because the actual value may be closer to 12% or even 10%, and in any case you'd want to use the actual value. On a 5,000 pound trailer 10-15% is a 250 pound difference, which is significant when you may be dealing with something that only has maybe a 700 pound capacity (less the weight of the WDH itself).

Stated differently, assumptions are stupid when you can use real values.

But then moving on to the second part--putting a 20% margin of error n everything. that would be removing 140 pounds from a hitch with a 700 pound rating. Take another 70 pounds off for the WDH and you'd be left with very little capacity (490 pounds).

BTW, only about half the weight of stuff you put in the front compartments goes to the tongue--the other roughly half goes to the trailer wheels. I just tested that by having my wife step into the front of the trailer the last time I was using the tongue scale.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Because the actual value may be closer to 12% or even 10%, and in any case you'd want to use the actual value. On a 5,000 pound trailer 10-15% is a 250 pound difference, which is significant when you may be dealing with something that only has maybe a 700 pound capacity (less the weight of the WDH itself).

Stated differently, assumptions are stupid when you can use real values.

But then moving on to the second part--putting a 20% margin of error n everything. that would be removing 140 pounds from a hitch with a 700 pound rating. Take another 70 pounds off for the WDH and you'd be left with very little capacity (490 pounds).

BTW, only about half the weight of stuff you put in the front compartments goes to the tongue--the other roughly half goes to the trailer wheels. I just tested that by having my wife step into the front of the trailer the last time I was using the tongue scale.
Try putting 100 lbs on the tongue of the TT. Then put 100 lbs over the axles.
My guess is the TW will go up way more than 50%.
Ever played on a teeter totter?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Try putting 100 lbs on the tongue of the TT. Then put 100 lbs over the axles.
My guess is the TW will go up way more than 50%.
Ever played on a teeter totter?
I was talking about the front compartments. I agree the further you move the weight forward the greater the percentage on the tongue will be.

As to the test with the wife, my tongue weight scale isn't that graduated, but it was pretty close to 50-60% as near as I could tell.

BTW, this has implications for more than just tongue weight. For example I carry my approx 55 pound generator in the rear of a front compartment. That probably saves 20-25 pounds of payload compared to carrying it in the bed.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I think it's pretty common knowledge that a 7K trailer weight is pretty much the top limit for 1/2 Ton trucks. When I towed a TT I had a 5800 lb Arctic Fox trailer (great TT) and a Ecoboost Ford Expedition EL, the SUV equivalent of a F150 and it towed GREAT. I wanted to move up to a bigger trailer in the 7800 lb weight range and found out quickly that I was treading on thin ice.

Sure there are folks that would make that choice, but then they would be kidding themselves to save money on buying a bigger truck.

7000 lbs and higher I would look for a 1-ton truck.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
I am asking in consideration for my in-laws looking at getting their first TT. Trying to figure out what exactly this truck can pull seems daunting with all of the numbers and formulas out there.

Based on his payload of 1634 we think this trailer would work. Trailer fully loaded would take about half of the payload 814lbs and leave the remaining for persons and cargo in the truck

Here is the break down with what info I have. Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated.

2021 - 4 door F150 King Ranch 4x4
Payload - 1634
Trailer hitch capacity - 1,100
(I can get more numbers from him if needed to better evaluate the scenario)

Looking at a Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S
UVW - 5471
CCC - 1314
Total GVWR - 6,785
Hitch - estimated 814 lbs with trailer fully loaded
They won't be happy unless they plan on never going over 60mph. That trailer is the same weight as mine, but longer (only a little) and I did not like it on my 1/2 ton. And my 1/2 ton was fully trailer prepped - tow mirrors, airbags, diesel engine, 3.92 gears, the works.

And, this is coming from someone that's been pulling trailers since the early 80s, trailers of all sizes and weights and configurations.

You'll need a weight distributing hitch too.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #13

At 28í overall length that is getting to be a lot for any 1/2 ton truck. Windy days may be a challenge. We travel all over the west. See many 1/2 tons moving along quite well with longer trailers. On windy days, not so much.
A quality WDH installed correctly will be important.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
We travel all over the west. See many 1/2 tons moving along quite well with longer trailers. On windy days, not so much.
I see them too, my belief is that they are ignorant to how much more comfortable and safer they'd be with the right truck.