Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #1

Insurance for a semi tractor

Does anyone know how I can get vehicle insurance for a semi tractor under non-commercial use. Registering it like a RV not for commercial use.
Fm cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #2

I don't see too many here pulling with tractor. You might have better luck on the escapee forum. Lots of MDT over there. Just google "escapee forum.".

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out National Interstate - http://www.natl.com We have insurance with National through our broker RV America Insurance RV America Insurance | Motorhome Insurance & Quotes Online
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:45 AM   #4

I had my toter on with my regular insurer (Farm Bureau) with no problem. I had it on a commercial policy because believe it or not, it was actually cheaper to do it that way....
Old 11-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

Blue Sky insures ours.

(Mod Edit)
Old 11-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #6

LC, I agree... I used Farm Bureau for years with my business trucks.... they seemed very receptive to listen and write a good policy... but my current agent (independent) one of Dave Ramsey endorsed providers.... is the best guy I've ever had... insures it all in several states.... and saved me money....
Old 11-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #7

Lot depends on where you register it. Texas register it as a Motorhome. Most all insurance companies insure as MDT, especially if singled. Progressive insured ours as a motorhome. Blue Sky is also a good one to contact. They insure many of us. I do believe it is less money to insure as MDT. We are just north of 1K and others are paying less.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #8

In Minnesota State Farm will insure it as long as the title says it is a motorhome plus they don't care about the axle count, either.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #9

Wow, I was just looking into this myself today, and was just about to post a thread asking about insurance on these things...good thing I chose to search instead, lol.

Anyways, I'm looking at picking a 1970 International Fleetstar tandem axle, and have the rest of my vehicles on a policy with Progressive, so I called them first. Getting it insured would not be a problem at all, though I was a bit shocked when I was given a quote of $827/year for state minimum coverage (I'm paying just a bit more than that for my other 3 vehicles combined). I realize it's not a stupid high cost, but it's still more expensive than what I expected to pay for a personal use vehicle that I'll be using a max of a couple dozen times a year.

Though in my case, I wouldn't be doing an RV conversion on it, and that may be playing into the cost as well.

I certainly don't need the weight capacity of a tandem, and I'm assuming that going with a old spring suspension truck would likely be a bad idea anyways as I'd never get it loaded down enough to actually get the suspension working even if I did single axle it (even my 2 ton truck rides like a brick until there's a few thousand pounds on the deck)....but I could pick up this particular truck for next to nothing.

Surprisingly, Progressive didn't have a problem putting that 2 ton on my personal policy, and it only cost a couple hundred bucks a year.
urbex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance